M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

09-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC FULL HAMMAN WIDE BO

Anyone know we can run E85 mix for our car?

As what the title say, can we run E85 mix for our engine?

Maybe a upgrade on the fuel pump or anything else?

Anyone any experience on this? going all out to find means n ways to make more power!!!

Any input??? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym3100k View Post
As what the title say, can we run E85 mix for our engine?

Maybe a upgrade on the fuel pump or anything else?

Anyone any experience on this? going all out to find means n ways to make more power!!!

Any input??? Thanks
PLEASE don't try it !!!!!!!. The ECU can't correct fueling for E85 on our cars , hell it can't correct for >E20 , much less when you add a high boost piggyback on top. You absolutely have to have full ECU control and change the fueling tables to run ethanol on our motor. Ethanol has less energy per gram than gas so you need more fuel flow for the same amount of air. Running meth you already have protection against detonation, nothing more to do on you're car until a real tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

LOL andy, it seriously looks like you got the wrong car...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
PLEASE don't try it !!!!!!!. The ECU can't correct fueling for E85 on our cars , hell it can't correct for >E20 , much less when you add a high boost piggyback on top. You absolutely have to have full ECU control and change the fueling tables to run ethanol on our motor. Ethanol has less energy per gram than gas so you need more fuel flow for the same amount of air. Running meth you already have protection against detonation, nothing more to do on you're car until a real tune.
Noted Bro, but how about a upgrade on the pump to make it work? Fuel-It! - http://www.fuel-it.biz/

Got to really find a way to increase power...... Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
LOL andy, it seriously looks like you got the wrong car...
Hope not, I believe there will be some other stuff n ways to up power to make me happy..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym3100k
Quote:
Noted Bro, but how about a upgrade on the pump to make it work? Fuel-It! - http://www.fuel-it.biz/

Got to really find a way to increase power...... Lol
Has nothing to do with the pump and everything to do with what the ECU tells the pump to do .
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Has nothing to do with the pump and everything to do with what the ECU tells the pump to do .
Yup I believe so too, I'm getting to understand why u mention lower psi is better for the top end power..... Tried on the timing still better on the lower psi compare to the very higher boost.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 12:09 AM   #8
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Andy if you are serious about looking for more octane, why not propane?

The Viper guys are using propane (LPG) injection in place of water/meth for octane enrichment.

DOT approved LPG containers are readily available they also sell carbon fiber tanks to cut down on added tank weight.

From what I recall reading, propane is 116 octane. It's stored as a liquid but injected as a gas, the gaseous state helps ensure it will mix with the intake charge air more reliably than methanol can. It could even be injected pre-turbo to cool the air charge before it gets to the turbo. You should never inject a liquid before the turbo as droplets hitting the turbine wheel can cause damage and deteriorate the wheel.

It would take some testing on finding the right injection nozzle to dial in the a/f you were looking for but with the right sensors you could setup the system for minimal expense.

Like I said if you are serious about fuel enrichment its worth a look....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #9
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post

The Viper guys are using propane (LPG) injection in place of water/meth for octane enrichment.

DOT approved LPG containers are readily available they also sell carbon fiber tanks to cut down on added tank weight.

From what I recall reading, propane is 116 octane. It's stored as a liquid but injected as a gas, the gaseous state helps ensure it will mix with the intake charge air more reliably than methanol can. It could even be injected pre-turbo to cool the air charge before it gets to the turbo. You should never inject a liquid before the turbo as droplets hitting the turbine wheel can cause damage and deteriorate the wheel.

It would take some testing on finding the right injection nozzle to dial in the a/f you were looking for but with the right sensors you could setup the system for minimal expense.

Hi Bro, I have never heard of these but will check it out for availability. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep

Quote:

Haha, I got the source of the propane already. Where exactly should I place the nozzle at? After the water to air cooler? Or before the cooler? Or at the air intake after the filter before the turbo? What the difference on all locations? I have a snow performance methanol stage 3 controller which can spray 4 nozzles (2 each) at different boost level. I can convert the 2 out of the 4 to this propane supply so I can select to spray at different boost level. What do u think? Any sample of the set up or how should I go about it?

Last edited by Andym3100k; 09-20-2014 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #11
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

From what i understand most are injected pre turbo not sure why.

I would reach out to BTR they are the ones that have propane kits for vipers. I would also reach out to the companies that make propane injection for the turbo diesel trucks I think one of the companies is called bullydog. The turbo diesel truck crowd has a lot of experience with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
From what i understand most are injected pre turbo not sure why.

I would reach out to BTR they are the ones that have propane kits for vipers. I would also reach out to the companies that make propane injection for the turbo diesel trucks I think one of the companies is called bullydog. The turbo diesel truck crowd has a lot of experience with it.
Have sent email to bullydog so waiting for reply.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #13
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So I read something new that makes some sense, you don't want to inject pre turbo because te propane would then occupy the space of the compressed oxygen(air) therefore it's better inject after turbo I guess just as you do with water/meth.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 01:16 AM   #14
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
So I read something new that makes some sense, you don't want to inject pre turbo because te propane would then occupy the space of the compressed oxygen(air) therefore it's better inject after turbo I guess just as you do with water/meth.
But in their website also advise to inject it pre-turbo n after air filter. How???
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #15
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I don't think either way will be harmful it's just about which way is better than the other, you can judge for yourself if you feel more power from pre vs. post turbo. Please let us know!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #16
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
I don't think either way will be harmful it's just about which way is better than the other, you can judge for yourself if you feel more power from pre vs. post turbo. Please let us know!
Yet to hear from them regarding the email sent out.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #17
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (after F10 M5 ;-)

As to the question in your OP @Andym3100k, I just did exactly that. Filled up the entire tank with E85 in hopes of high octane + high boost = extra extra pull.

I totally disregarded the fact that E85 is dangerously lean, pull went back to worse than stock (butt-dyno) and engine light came on after a while.
I first thought, crap, I have to get that stuff out of the tank immediately but decided to carefully drive down 1/3 of the tank and topped it off with 7 gallons of 100 race fuel. Drove down another 1/3 of the tank and topped off again with 100. So now I am running a mix of roughly 45% E85 and 55% 100 race gas.
Performance seems to be up to initial but I think I will more carefully drive it down to empty and then just go with good old 93 and an occasional 100 or more.

Also a more simple answer to your question would be the bottom left of page 166 in your owner's manual:

Name:  Captures.JPG
Views: 836
Size:  199.5 KB

Appreciate 0