M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

12-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Dyno Comparison? Stock vs Dinan

Why isn't a baseline then post tune dyno measurement a standard service when spending $3k on a Dinan tune?

It's one thing to buy a piece of hardware and not have the results proven via a dyno.

But to me, it's a whole other thing to give someone $3k for 'bits' (software) and not have a way to 'prove' the results.

I would have no problem paying $3k for the tune if I could be shown it provided the claimed increase in power.

Thoughts?
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
Why isn't a baseline then post tune dyno measurement a standard service when spending $3k on a Dinan tune?

It's one thing to buy a piece of hardware and not have the results proven via a dyno.

But to me, it's a whole other thing to give someone $3k for 'bits' (software) and not have a way to 'prove' the results.

I would have no problem paying $3k for the tune if I could be shown it provided the claimed increase in power.

Thoughts?
There are a lot of before and after dyno comparisons on this and the M6 forum. The proof is there and there are large gains made by Dinan.
Not only are the gains there but there also is a huge change in the dynamics on how the vehicle performs. Faster, crisper, more responsive, its all that we want and more.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar View Post
There are a lot of before and after dyno comparisons on this and the M6 forum. The proof is there and there are large gains made by Dinan.
Not only are the gains there but there also is a huge change in the dynamics on how the vehicle performs. Faster, crisper, more responsive, its all that we want and more.
Right... But I've also read a couple scenarios where the tune didn't work or the results were below what Dinan claims.
So, it's great to see others with success... But doesn't mean that there's a 100% success rate.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Right... But I've also read a couple scenarios where the tune didn't work or the results were below what Dinan claims.
So, it's great to see others with success... But doesn't mean that there's a 100% success rate.
True.
I feel the issue was that the individual programming the Dinan unit did not select the proper file and also there are some measures that need to be met for proper programming. Example, the vehicle needs to be "X" amount of feet from the programming car ,etc.
Other then that, Dinan released updates for all software versions that included more HP / TQ gains.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar View Post
True.
I feel the issue was that the individual programming the Dinan unit did not select the proper file and also there are some measures that need to be met for proper programming. Example, the vehicle needs to be "X" amount of feet from the programming car ,etc.
Other then that, Dinan released updates for all software versions that included more HP / TQ gains.
Ok... So how would I know the tune is producing the claimed power without a dyno? Purely how it 'feels'...? Well, what if I don't 'feel' much...or anything? Feeling is subjective after all. Is it then up to me to have it dyno'd to prove what I'm not feeling?

Do you see what I mean here?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Hammer91
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Quote:
Ok... So how would I know the tune is producing the claimed power without a dyno? Purely how it 'feels'...? Well, what if I don't 'feel' much...or anything? Feeling is subjective after all. Is it then up to me to have it dyno'd to prove what I'm not feeling?

I had same concern, but believe me you don't need a Dyno to feel the difference, it is not subtle, there is a lot more power everywhere in the RPM range. In my circumstance there was an installation fault initially that the engine was running TOO smoothly, even though it ran great, but Dinan sent a new system which has worked flawlessly so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Absolutely, I know exactly what you mean.
Same with any tune or performance item added. We all want to feel the added power that we paid for.
I was just explaining that there are specific measures that have to be met for the Dinan tune to be properly loaded. It was known that some installers were not doing it correctly.
Same thing with BMS. There is a user feature that needs to be changed ,and if its not done properly then the BMS tune does not work.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
Hawkeye1
Displaced Iowan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CP

Another way to comp the 'before and after' is via drag strip runs (or V-box versions for those with the device). On very similar nights (temp, humidity, etc.) my car was about half a second and four mph faster in the quarter mile after the Dinan tune was installed. Somewhere on this forum is a more detailed post from me on the topic, including some timeslip photos. That said, it didn't take a trip to the strip to feel the difference in the car. Floor it at 40 - 45 mph and eight out of ten times the rear tires will break loose, followed by a high speed fishtail if you leave your foot in it. It's guaranteed to scare your passengers half to death, but it's great fun too. (That said, I'm one of those who is secretly looking forward to AWD versions of these cars in the future. I like tire smoke, but I like feeling my eyeballs distort from acceleration even more...) As someone else noted above, the Dinan tune retains or improves the 'stock' drivability. I've read some posts from BMS users complaining about throttle sensitivity or unpredictability, though most of those folks swear by their tune. My car is a '13, therefore no Comp Pack, so I also added the Dinan swaybars front and rear, and the Dinan coilover kit, which lowered the car about half an inch. I love the overall package, and though the weight is always there, you don't feel it nearly as much after the suspension mods (and the tune). The big gripe about Dinan is the price and I share that gripe, especially since the price of the tune dropped $500 the week after I had it installed and a refund has not been forthcoming. For me, the dealership installation and warranty sealed the deal and I would do it again. It's a great car, and even though I still yearn for a 911 Turbo S, I can't see one of those as a daily driver. The M5, however, is dynamite in that regard. Good looks, four doors and sub-12 second quarter mile times. Not much to complain about. Gook luck with your decision.
2018 911 GT3 (Manual) - Mine
2013 911 S Cabriolet - Mostly mine

Last edited by Hawkeye1; 12-15-2014 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye59 View Post
Another way to comp the 'before and after' is via drag strip runs (or V-box versions for those with the device). On very similar nights (temp, humidity, etc.) my car was about half a second and four mph faster in the quarter mile after the Dinan tune was installed. Somewhere on this forum is a more detailed post from me on the topic, including some timeslip photos. That said, it didn't take a trip to the strip to feel the difference in the car. Floor it at 40 - 45 mph and eight out of ten times the rear tires will break loose, followed by a high speed fishtail if you leave your foot in it. It's guaranteed to scare your passengers half to death, but it's great fun too. (That said, I'm one of those who is secretly looking forward to AWD versions of these cars in the future. I like tire smoke, but I like feeling my eyeballs distort from acceleration even more...) As someone else noted above, the Dinan tune retains or improves the 'stock' drivability. I've read some posts from BMS users complaining about throttle sensitivity or unpredictability, though most of those folks swear by their tune. My car is a '13, therefore no Comp Pack, so I also added the Dinan swaybars front and rear, and the Dinan coilover kit, which lowered the car about half an inch. I love the overall package, and though the weight is always there, you don't feel it nearly as much after the suspension mods (and the tune). The big gripe about Dinan is the price and I share that gripe, especially since the price of the tune dropped $500 the week after I had it installed and a refund has not been forthcoming. For me, the dealership installation and warranty sealed the deal and I would do it again. It's a great car, and even though I still yearn for a 911 Turbo S, I can't see one of those as a daily driver. The M5, however, is dynamite in that regard. Good looks, four doors and sub-12 second quarter mile times. Not much to complain about. Gook luch with your decision.
Well said. Thanks bud!
Appreciate 0