M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

12-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
CFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

BMW M6 to i8 Thoughts?

Hey all,

I know this is the "M5 vs." forum, but given some of the moves folks have made here, this seemed like a logical place to have this discussion.

I had previously ordered an i8 with every intention of taking delivery when it was available as I didn't have a "fun" car at the time, but then got impatient and impulse bought the M6. I love the M6 and it's pretty much perfect for our use (weekend car, some drives for several hours for local vacations/visits, just out tooling around). My dealer just recently called with an allocation for an i8 which would be here very shortly (although we can pick options). In short, I was wondering if anyone here has any thoughts or has driven the i8. It's certainly a cool car and seems fantastic, but I'm really enjoying the M6. The technology and looks of the i8 are fantastic and the performance seems great too (I will not be tracking it), although the same could be said of the M6. I am a little concerned about being able to charge it (I'm in a highrise), not being able to easily wash/clean the car (in a city), and potential value.

In an effort to understand potential depreciation (it helps to be aware going in), I checked ebay, dupont registry, and a few other sources. The cars I see for sale are all over the place (~$150k-$300k), but of course these are asking prices, not actual completed transactions. Furthermore, I do not intend in any way to "flip" this car to make any profit and the purchase would be for purely personal use. Sorry for the lengthy post but any thoughts or inputs are appreciated. Thanks!
2016 X5 M-sport 50, 2013 M6 AW/Black, 2012 X5M AW/Black, 2011 M3, 2008 335i, 2006 M3, 2008 335i, 2002 M3, 2002 330ci, 1997 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
Schnell_1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13

More tech, attention, and panty-dropping. Lesser thrills, power/performance, and road dominance.

I've too considered this, but would most likely wait for the i8 performance model.

http://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-i8s-migh...car-1649317280
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

That i8 is one AMAZING car! I have a friend with one and I was behind driving to an event today. VERY VERY cool looking sitting still and driving. Tough call though. Such very different cars.

As a side note..my wife would LOVE one. If you don't want that allocation I'm right here to take it off your hands.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

It's pretty much safe to say that BMW hit a home run with the new i8. The i9 will be more impressive, as it will be like what happened when Audi first released the R8 with the 4.2L V8 engine. The world complained that for a car that looks like a super car, the R8 4.2L certainly didn't have the performance to match, and the world rejoiced when the R8 V10 was announced and is still a great car. The i9 with its i8 looks and M4/M6 performance will be a car that many will salivate over. The M6 makes a better business case if you want an outrageously fast GT car for the streets with nice style to boot, but the business case for the i8 is that it is a complete panty dropper, all show and not that much go, although more advanced every other aspect except horsepower than an M6.

Enjoy your i8.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
It's pretty much safe to say that BMW hit a home run with the new i8. The i9 will be more impressive, as it will be like what happened when Audi first released the R8 with the 4.2L V8 engine. The world complained that for a car that looks like a super car, the R8 4.2L certainly didn't have the performance to match, and the world rejoiced when the R8 V10 was announced and is still a great car. The i9 with its i8 looks and M4/M6 performance will be a car that many will salivate over. The M6 makes a better business case if you want an outrageously fast GT car for the streets with nice style to boot, but the business case for the i8 is that it is a complete panty dropper, all show and not that much go, although more advanced every other aspect except horsepower than an M6.

Enjoy your i8.
I am waiting to hear about the mid term reliability of the i cars. For a brand new platform and technology, it's important that they run reliably. Knowing BMW, they prob went conservative, so the 2nd product should be a lot more exciting!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
That i8 is one AMAZING car! I have a friend with one and I was behind driving to an event today. VERY VERY cool looking sitting still and driving. Tough call though. Such very different cars.

As a side note..my wife would LOVE one. If you don't want that allocation I'm right here to take it off your hands.
Ummmmmm really do we not learn from the past my little Jedi.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I am waiting to hear about the mid term reliability of the i cars. For a brand new platform and technology, it's important that they run reliably. Knowing BMW, they prob went conservative, so the 2nd product should be a lot more exciting!
This is true, but we won't know that for a while. The i8's also come with the BMW 4 year/50,000 mile warranty and I suspect that many new i8 owners are people that are not going to drive their i8 25,000 miles a year like I do. Lol!

I also just recently learned, sort of, that although BMW has plans to release something special for company's big 100 year anniversary next year, I do not believe it is going to be any kind of ///M Supercar equivalent to an Audi R8, McLaren 12C, or 458. This means that the highest performing BMW in the future, say within the the next 6 years is going to be the next generation M6. It has been confirmed that the next M6 will be getting massively lighter, by at least 500lbs, and will actually get smaller. Combine those things will at least a 600hp drivetrain, and we will have the fastest BMW ever made. The BMW 9 Series will mostly likely take the Flagship role as the new Luxury GT Battlecruiser car to compete with the new Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe. Although the BMW i9 will boast impressive performance as a Hybrid Sports Car, it won't be able to hold a candle against the next M6. However, this also says a lot for the next M5 too. As I believe that the next generation M5 will actually get a smaller chassis than the F10 also. With extra ///M designed carbon fiber treatment the next M5 will easily lose 400lbs from the current F10 M5 curb weight of ~4,400lbs, putting it at or below 4,000lbs. But I think we will see the next M6 down to around the 3,700lbs range at least. If I am still making good money 6 years from now, there is a good chance that my next car will be the next M6. Also if I am still single by then and don't need a backseat. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5

Enjoy your i8.
Honestly it will take a hell of a lot more than just an engine to win me over . This car has gotten horrible handling reviews , just watch Chris Harris's . It plows into corners , understeers then understeers some more , vague steering etc. It literally fails at doing anything well as a hybrid or a sports car ( it doesn't get great gas mileage when driven in a normal way ) . It is sadly at its best when parked IMHO. It's so sad bc the chassis has great possibilities , but the drivetrain , the suspension and the wheels are not set up to be even a performance car much less a sports car .
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Honestly it will take a hell of a lot more than just an engine to win me over . This car has gotten horrible handling reviews , just watch Chris Harris's . It plows into corners , understeers then understeers some more , vague steering etc. It literally fails at doing anything well as a hybrid or a sports car ( it doesn't get great gas mileage when driven in a normal way ) . It is sadly at its best when parked IMHO. It's so sad bc the chassis has great possibilities , but the drivetrain , the suspension and the wheels are not set up to be even a performance car much less a sports car .
This
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5

Enjoy your i8.
I agree. I'm not saying the i8 comes anywhere close to the handling capability of the M6 or the luxury level, but it definitely handles better than a 435i. Still you can't get a Bang & Olufsen sound system on an i8 either. Driven efficiently, the i8 can achieve very high mpg numbers and when flogged can still get better numbers than when babying an F13 M6 on the highway. Anyways, an i8 will never be as good as an M car, but they can be more futuristic and sexier to most people.

I told him to enjoy the i8 because unless a driver is like you or I, as in someone who uses their M car the way it was designed for on a regular basis, there is really no point to owning an M car, it's overkill for the street, but true enthusiasts can appreciate them all the time.

If it were me, I'd take the M6 just for exhaust note. I'm not ready to jump into a Hybrid Sports car unless it's a P1.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

def tough to compare the two like others have stated but there is no arguing the fact that when it comes to eye appeal and attention the i8 wins hands down. Its a very cool car, I was finally able to drive one and was very impressed, I WANT ONE!! We can't seem to keep them in stock.

What sorta of deals have everyone been seeing on these?

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #12
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Yes, Dave. What u said makes perfect sense! Their 100 years special is unlikely to be a traditional powerhouse and likely to be the i9. Any i-car would always have an eye for efficiency making headline performance numbers secondary. I have always love the current M6, but a bit put off by its size and weight. It's indeed a better drive compared to the M5 or GC. I have driven them all in Sepang circuit and M6 was decent fun I must say! A much lighter car in the next generation would be great news! I doubt the next 5 series would get smaller though, as much as I would like it to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
This is true, but we won't know that for a while. The i8's also come with the BMW 4 year/50,000 mile warranty and I suspect that many new i8 owners are people that are not going to drive their i8 25,000 miles a year like I do. Lol!

I also just recently learned, sort of, that although BMW has plans to release something special for company's big 100 year anniversary next year, I do not believe it is going to be any kind of ///M Supercar equivalent to an Audi R8, McLaren 12C, or 458. This means that the highest performing BMW in the future, say within the the next 6 years is going to be the next generation M6. It has been confirmed that the next M6 will be getting massively lighter, by at least 500lbs, and will actually get smaller. Combine those things will at least a 600hp drivetrain, and we will have the fastest BMW ever made. The BMW 9 Series will mostly likely take the Flagship role as the new Luxury GT Battlecruiser car to compete with the new Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe. Although the BMW i9 will boast impressive performance as a Hybrid Sports Car, it won't be able to hold a candle against the next M6. However, this also says a lot for the next M5 too. As I believe that the next generation M5 will actually get a smaller chassis than the F10 also. With extra ///M designed carbon fiber treatment the next M5 will easily lose 400lbs from the current F10 M5 curb weight of ~4,400lbs, putting it at or below 4,000lbs. But I think we will see the next M6 down to around the 3,700lbs range at least. If I am still making good money 6 years from now, there is a good chance that my next car will be the next M6. Also if I am still single by then and don't need a backseat. Lol!
Appreciate 0