M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

06-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

2015 Vette Z06 Nurburgring Time

...to be announced very shortly.

Any predictions??

Ubran Legend bets that what ever time the C7 Z06 sets that the BMW M4 will still beat it by at least 2 seconds.

Any other takers? Bet while it's hot! Boots? Stealth? Vic?? The Real Slim Shady???

I'm betting a time of 7:15s. Slower than the Nissan GTR-Nismo due that video that they produced showing how the heavier GTR still beat the new Z06 on the track.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...shed?fbfanpage

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Here's my issue. Not that I'm on the Internet at work...

Ring times are dumb.

I won't get that time. You won't. Maybe M6 coupe or Vic might.
The track is a tuning tool to reveal weaknesses in the car. Same weakness the car will encounter on the way to Lowes or at Eau Rouge.

I'm sure internet space will be wasted all over the net once this time is revealed.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter unless you are at a bar.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

Link states this, "Dodge Viper ACR is still the king with its 7:12.13."

M4 is the king of kings. <---
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

7:08
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
SocalBM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3

Ring times are pointless. The Ring itself doesn't record anything and every single car manufacturer starts and ends in a different spot most of the time.

It's all marketing.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Here's my issue. Not that I'm on the Internet at work...

Ring times are dumb.

I won't get that time. You won't. Maybe M6 coupe or Vic might.
The track is a tuning tool to reveal weaknesses in the car. Same weakness the car will encounter on the way to Lowes or at Eau Rouge.

I'm sure internet space will be wasted all over the net once this time is revealed.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter unless you are at a bar.
Well, I don't rely on Ring time too much because it's not repeatable at all. Furthermore it depends of everything including driver, tire, temperature,... The only way you can use Ring time as a criteria for different cars is when everything is in the same condition which is almost impossible. A valid example is M5. The non CP is recorded at 7:55 and the CP one with at least 5% more power and completely improved suspension and steering is only one second faster ???!!! ... but it only worth to conclude Nissan-GTR is faster than Panamera ; 1-2 seconds and even 5 seconds on a 7 minutes battle does not prove anything. A handful mistakes such as wrong gear shifting or wrong enter/exit speed (especially after 4-5 minutes hard driving) will cause those couple seconds BUT for sure Z06 is faster than all M cars on Ring EXCLUDING M4
With all I said my prediction is faster than 7:20 ...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #7
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
...to be announced very shortly.

Any predictions??

Ubran Legend bets that what ever time the C7 Z06 sets that the BMW M4 will still beat it by at least 2 seconds.
M4 is like Jordan in his prime. No 1.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 03:46 AM   #8
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Well, I don't rely on Ring time too much because it's not repeatable at all. Furthermore it depends of everything including driver, tire, temperature,... The only way you can use Ring time as a criteria for different cars is when everything is in the same condition which is almost impossible. A valid example is M5. The non CP is recorded at 7:55 and the CP one with at least 5% more power and completely improved suspension and steering is only one second faster ???!!! ... but it only worth to conclude Nissan-GTR is faster than Panamera ; 1-2 seconds and even 5 seconds on a 7 minutes battle does not prove anything. A handful mistakes such as wrong gear shifting or wrong enter/exit speed (especially after 4-5 minutes hard driving) will cause those couple seconds BUT for sure Z06 is faster than all M cars on Ring EXCLUDING M4
With all I said my prediction is faster than 7:20 ...
7:55 non CP was quoted from a BMW source, while 7:54 CP was ran by Sport Auto.

Sport Auto's time for non CP is 8:05.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #9
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post

Thank you.....That's exactly my point. Different cars, different days, different drivers... Now if we want to judge the cars based on Ring time, let me know what's the difference between them? Yes we just know one is faster the other one but how much? No data
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #10
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post

Thank you.....That's exactly my point. Different cars, different days, different drivers... Now if we want to judge the cars based on Ring time, let me know what's the difference between them? Yes we just know one is faster the other one but how much? No data
The problem with factory times is that we don't know the exact setting of the car and the conditions, and also each manufacture have their own test driver.

Sport auto uses the same driver for ring times (Horst von Saurma), so the only major difference would be different days of testing the cars, hence many like to use Sport auto as the benchmark because at least the driver is consistent.

Sport auto always publish the testing condition and also Saurma only does two laps, one to warm up and the second is timed lap. Yes one can argue if given more laps, could an even faster time be achieved? Of course, and that's also why factory times will always be faster, besides even better drivers, factory can run hundreds of laps and publish the fastest one.

Personally I like Sport auto better because many don't publish or quote a ring time, so it wouldn't be fair to compare a magazine timed lap against a factory time. For instance, the quoted time from BMW for non CP M5 is 7:55, while AMG never published or quoted any ring time for E63 S, but Sport auto tested one and ran a 7:55. So some will say non CP M5 is as fast as the E63 (I have seen it said in the forum).

But is that fair? I wouldn't think so because Sport auto's time for non CP M5 is 8:05, so I could say in the hands of AMG's own test driver, E63 S could have gone under 7:50. The same could be said for CP M5 as well, Sport auto's time is 7:54, could BMW gone under 7:50? Sure it can.

Therefore if we were to compare times, at least I would keep it consistent and just compare magazine times against magazine times, or if available, factory times against factory times, otherwise there are just too many variables, if not already.
Appreciate 0