EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-29-2015, 11:22 PM   #1
whatheheck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 360, 2015 SO M4

DIY: Dashcam Video Installation

Here you go for sharing. Dashcam video DIY.

My usual disclaimer. I am not here to debate or argue with anyone. I am posting for sharing in case someone wants to do the same mod to their car here is the info you will need to make your installation easier for you.

Some of us likes to record video when we go out for a drive with friends. Capture beautiful scenery, record the fun drives, etc. Some likes to record video for security or safety purposes. Or in case a fender bender happens it clearly records who’s at fault. And if someone accuses you of being at fault - the recorded video will hopefully speak for itself.

I have the GoPro and Drift HD170, very happy with it and I use it during early morning drive with friends but I thought its time to try something new. I also want the new video camera hardwired for power so that I wont have to worry about battery life and I can just leave the dash cam camera mounted in my car all / most of the time.

Found this at Amazon, High Def 1080P and rated highly so I thought I’d try it. Its called GoSafe 200.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ect=true&psc=1

Summary: Video quality for day time and night time is outstanding. Audio quality is also very good. It also has a small pull down LCD screen so you can aim the lens properly.

Challenges:
I didnt like the rear view mirror clip mount that it comes with. So I had to find a different camera mount. Regular GPS windshield mount didn’t work as it doesn’t bend enough for camera to face front view.

I also need to find the camera mount compatible with GoSafe 200 quick disconnect mount.

Lots of research done. Finally, fund this gooseneck cell phone windshield mount, same quick disconnect mount as the GoSafe 200, ordered and tried it. Perfect!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ordered a mini-usb power adapter. Wired it to my Valentine 1 power source. Works great except the power adapter connector touches the windshield. Ugh! Need to find a mini usb power adapter with angled connector.

Found this: Perfect!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Done! Now when I turn the ignition on, video camera boots up and starts right up and starts to record. I don’t have to touch anything. Camera shuts down a couple of seconds after engine shuts down, same as my Valentine 1.

Bought a 32GB card for $12.00. Cheap! 32gig records about 4 hours of video at 1080p. I set mine for loop recording.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I did the same installation to my 2003 Ferrari 360 Spider.
Link below to one of the recorded videos I pulled from the sd card.

Hope this helps some of you.

Dan
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
jcote258
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 F95 X5M

That's pretty slick. I was looking at getting one of these as well, not this model camera but something similar and I like this one how it turns on when you turn the car on. The question that I have is, you have this hard wired to your radar detector power source, how is your radar detector wired? Chances are I will be doing a standalone camera setup without the radar detector, where would I route the power to and take it from? I guess once I know how your radar detector is powered I can use that same source.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
UH_TX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///AMG C63

Great write up. I am running almost the same exact setup and install.
///AMG 2009 P30 Calcite White C63 - V4 Eurocharged ******* 2012 Mini Countryman S JCW
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Anchored
Banned
Rep
Drives: E39

I like it, But I want mine a bit more hidden.

Like this,
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ghlight=hidden

Last edited by Anchored; 08-05-2015 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
mul1gan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white

nice, thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
whatheheck
Private First Class
Rep

Hi there.

Yes, I wired my dash cam in parallel to my V1 power.

Here you go, please see attached pdf file.
Credit goes to Tom of EAS / European Auto Source for this great info he posted here somewhere. Thanks Tom.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcote258 View Post
That's pretty slick. I was looking at getting one of these as well, not this model camera but something similar and I like this one how it turns on when you turn the car on.

The question that I have is, you have this hard wired to your radar detector power source, how is your radar detector wired? Chances are I will be doing a standalone camera setup without the radar detector, where would I route the power to and take it from? I guess once I know how your radar detector is powered I can use that same source.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ?? eas _ DIY_ Valentine One Hardwire, M4 F82.pdf (10.29 MB, 388 views)
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
whatheheck
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks.

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by UH_TX View Post
Great write up. I am running almost the same exact setup and install.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #8
whatheheck
Private First Class
Rep

Very nice set up.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchored View Post
I like it, But I want mine a bit more hidden.

Like this,
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ghlight=hidden
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #9
whatheheck
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the appreciation.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mul1gan View Post
nice, thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 06:01 AM   #10
Salvanas702
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Mineral White Metallic

Thanks for sharing I think I'll be getting one when I get my car at the end of this year. Oh btw was that the deception pass bridge? I left the island over 15 years ago. Awesome place!
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
whatheheck
Private First Class
Rep

You're welcome.

Yes, that was deception pass bridge. Beautiful there in Whidbey Island.

I took the day off a few months ago and went for a drive in my Ferrari 360 Spider and recorded the video. That's an awesome route to take for a drive.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas702 View Post
Thanks for sharing I think I'll be getting one when I get my car at the end of this year. Oh btw was that the deception pass bridge? I left the island over 15 years ago. Awesome place!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #12
maverick144
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, X3

Just wanted to show what I did with my dash cam. It's a little bit lower profile, but I don't know if the camera is as good quality. (I had to return the first one I was sent as it was DOA). The second one works great. I got an Ivation Dual Lens camera. That way I could get front and back views with one camera. I got rear ended in my 135i a couple of years ago and I now I want to see what's behind me as well as ahead.

Anyway, I mounted with high temperature Velcro and ran the wires to the outlet below the glove box. Haven't had any problems with this set up. It did require some modifications as I didn't use the built in mount. The built in mount made it too high profile so I couldn't mount it at the top of the windshield and be able to see ahead and behind. Also, made my own "notice" sticker because I'm in CA.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #13
AYTifosi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW F82 M4  [10.00]
I looked at the Mobius and a few others. After talking with the guy at http://www.blackboxmycar.com/ I opted for the Blackview DR3500 for $153. I also bought the Power Magic Pro which is required to be able to use the motion sensor / parking feature. Looks easy enough to install for even me. I have a question though, I'm hoping someone can help with.

I need to wire the unit to a live fuse and a non-live fuse. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for which fuses to use in our cars? I will take some DIY pics and share the results.

---- update

Figured them out. #159 for red wire / off #160 for yellow wire "always on".

Last edited by AYTifosi; 09-15-2015 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Found it!
Appreciate 0