Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

BMW Apps and iPhone universal snap-in adapter

Hey all,

When I hook up my iPhone 6 to the Universal iPhone snap-in adapter in my car, the Media section recognizes it no problem and music etc plays just fine. However, when I go to ConnectedDrive to access my BMA Apps, such as GoPro, the iDrive screen says I am not connected, or more specifically my device is not connected - first time I noticed this as previously albeit a long time ago now (months) I had no problem with this feature - anyone else having issues with BMW Apps and iPhone connectivity? What am I missing (and yes wifi to GoPro works and Bluetooth is on and work also).

Cheers, C.

Last edited by ciaranob; 09-07-2015 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
PodDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i / 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob
Hey all,

When I hook up my iPhone 6 to the Universal iPhone snap-in adapter in my car, the Media section recognizes it no problem and music etc plays just fine. However, when I go to ConnectedDrive to access my BMA Apps, such as GoPro, the iDrive screen says I am not connected, or more specifically my device is not connected - first time I noticed this as previously albeit a long time ago now (months) I had no problem with this feature - anyone else having issues with BMW Apps and iPhone connectivity? What am I missing (and yes wifi to GoPro works and Bluetooth is on and work also).

Cheers, C.
I've had similar problems in my F30, happens once every few months. I found that i have to reboot my phone then it works fine again.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Thx, yeah first thing I thought of too- however problem has not gone away - quite annoying! Will have to muck around and see if I can solve it - need to bring the car in for its 10K service this week and might mention it although suspect they won't have a solution there. From the lack of responses I am assuming it is not that common an issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodDoc View Post
I've had similar problems in my F30, happens once every few months. I found that i have to reboot my phone then it works fine again.
      09-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Other than connecting to the outside antenna, does the snap-in adapter provide any incremental functionality vs. plugging into the center console USB with a cable? I have enhanced USB / BT but no snap in adapter. It took me 2 months to figure out what I have is a plastic cover that snaps in where the snap in adapter goes - thought it was just the most useless car feature ever before I figured out it was just a cover...

I've just been connecting iPhone 5S via USB.
      09-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
waygorked
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 335i JB4

I have yet to fully implement all of the functionality, so I'm not honestly sure. I can state, however, that on a mechanical level the adapter is a complete piece of junk. I rattles constantly, and the clip that holds the phone in place comes apart each time I remove the phone. And despite rumors to the contrary, it is not case-friendly.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ok thanks. Sounds like I'm not missing anything just using a cable, particularly since I have a case on the phone.
      09-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW - F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Do you have the BMW connected drive app installed? You need to have it installed and run it in the background. Then you get everything like spotify, etc.

2015 M3 - MW, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive, HK, 19" Light, 6M ED 7/7/2015 - Redelivery-8/18/15
2013 535i - SG, Sonoma, M-SPort, Prem, Tech, CW, Lux Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012/PCD -12/14/12
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 06:29 PM   #8
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Other than connecting to the outside antenna, does the snap-in adapter provide any incremental functionality vs. plugging into the center console USB with a cable? I have enhanced USB / BT but no snap in adapter. It took me 2 months to figure out what I have is a plastic cover that snaps in where the snap in adapter goes - thought it was just the most useless car feature ever before I figured out it was just a cover...

I've just been connecting iPhone 5S via USB.
With the iPhone 5 snap-in connector the phone was locked on and secure - whilst there is now a similar snap-in connector in Europe for the iPhone 6 we cannot for some reason get it here in the US - instead we have this crappy universal connector that has a fan to cool your device but a really flimsy clip which is next to useless holding it on - it stays and works but truly cumbersome

Quote:
Originally Posted by waygorked View Post
I have yet to fully implement all of the functionality, so I'm not honestly sure. I can state, however, that on a mechanical level the adapter is a complete piece of junk. I rattles constantly, and the clip that holds the phone in place comes apart each time I remove the phone. And despite rumors to the contrary, it is not case-friendly.
Agree as above - and worse found out through trial and error that it was the snap-in adapter connection to the car that is not entirely sound - had to triple check it stayed in to work but at least know what the issue is! In regards case friendly, I have a slim leather and clear plastic case and both work OK with it - thicker cases might be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Ok thanks. Sounds like I'm not missing anything just using a cable, particularly since I have a case on the phone.
Again the case not an issue for me - having it locked down in a charging station with a built in fan, tied to the external Antenna and out of sight in the armrest all work fro me in regards having this piece of kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamiboyca View Post
Do you have the BMW connected drive app installed? You need to have it installed and run it in the background. Then you get everything like spotify, etc.
Yes it was installed - turned out to be the snap-in connector being very slightly disconnected (i.e. the music worked but not the apps - that part still weird!).
      09-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #9
JTmarlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

So even though I opted and paid for "6NS Enhanced USB and Bluetooth Plus Smart integration " I still need to purchase an iphone snap in adapter kit?
      09-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #10
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Yeah I know pretty lame right! I negotiated that to be included with my car deal i.e. had a bunch of comps that included the snap-in (iPhone 5s) adapter. Problem now is that if yo have the newer (6) models which I now have then there is no "snap-in" version available in the US as yet despite it being available in Europe! Rather the universal adapter is your only choice where you have to hook a cable from the unit and use the lame pin to 'hold' your phone in place. The unit does make the usual physical connections to the iDrive system and the telephone aerial but personally seriously disappointed in the design. Might try to pick-up a unit when I am in Europe in Nov but may not be possible - will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTmarlin View Post
So even though I opted and paid for "6NS Enhanced USB and Bluetooth Plus Smart integration " I still need to purchase an iphone snap in adapter kit?
      09-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #11
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
These are the reasons I decided not to get the Enhanced BT option, and preferred to have it coded. The idea of a snap in adapter is great but BMW is slow to update the adapters so by the time its available I already have a new phone.

That and spending another $300 on a piece of plastic after 500 on the option to be able to use the adapter - not worth it.

I have a lighting cable inside the armrest, I connect it and leave in the armrest. It charges and gets me full integration - the only thing you lose is the external antenna gain.

2015 M3 - MW, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive, HK, 19" Light, 6M ED 7/7/2015 - Redelivery-8/18/15
2013 535i - SG, Sonoma, M-SPort, Prem, Tech, CW, Lux Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012/PCD -12/14/12
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
JTmarlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
These are the reasons I decided not to get the Enhanced BT option, and preferred to have it coded. The idea of a snap in adapter is great but BMW is slow to update the adapters so by the time its available I already have a new phone.

That and spending another $300 on a piece of plastic after 500 on the option to be able to use the adapter - not worth it.

I have a lighting cable inside the armrest, I connect it and leave in the armrest. It charges and gets me full integration - the only thing you lose is the external antenna gain.
May I ask when you say " the only thing you lose is the external antenna gain"

What does that refer to? thx for clarifying
      09-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #13
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTmarlin View Post
May I ask when you say " the only thing you lose is the external antenna gain"

What does that refer to? thx for clarifying
The Enhanced BT option adds Connected Office (text messages and email), a second mic and a physical connection to plate in the armrest. That plate inside the armrest is where the snap in connecter for your phone is installed. When you put your phone in the connector -
  • Connection to driver side mic (available without EBT)
  • Connection to Power - (available without EBT)
  • Connection to passenger side mic
  • Connection to external antenna
  • Connected Office (text massages) (available without EBT)
Hope that helps

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #14
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Spent the money for the cleaner integration for EBT but the adapter cost me nothing - as I mentioned, original was a comp (and got the 6 series universal version swapped it out for free!). If they sell the snap-in of the 6 here eventually I would consider it as I prefer that locked in solution than having to plug in every time and it floating - YMMV.

Quote:

09-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #15
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamiboyca

This is what I do too.
      09-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #16
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Spent the money for the cleaner integration for EBT but the adapter cost me nothing - as I mentioned, original was a comp (and got the 6 series universal version swapped it out for free!). If they sell the snap-in of the 6 here eventually I would consider it as I prefer that locked in solution than having to plug in every time and it floating - YMMV.
You plug in either way :-)

But I get your point, I just update my phone too often.

Even now, the iPhone 6s is ever so slightly bigger and will no doubt cause issues in something as tight as a snap in adapter.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #17
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

iPhone 6s officially works on the available now snap in adapter. Even with a very slim cover.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:36 AM   #18
TomAz640i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 640i

Music doesn't play

I have the strangest thing happening with this new universal adapter.

Just got my new 6s (replacing a 5s) about 10 days ago. Went by the dealer and bought the new Universal snap in adapter. the old 5s adapter worked fine... well.. it worked.

I cannot get music to play on the new universal adapter. I can see my music on my dash screen, I can select what to play using my iDrive knob, etc.. everything like it is supposed to work.. except the music does not play through the car speakers. Instead, it plays on the little iphone speaker. It's almost as if the 6s doesn't realize it's connected to an external device.

I can play music just fine out of the adapter, via Bluetooth, but that is suboptimal -- i like the charging and i like to be able to change my music selection without fumbling with the phone.

I have removed and reinstalled the adapter several times to no avail.

Do I have a defective piece of equipment? is the defect in the adapter or i the phone?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #19
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
With the iPhone 5 snap-in connector the phone was locked on and secure - whilst there is now a similar snap-in connector in Europe for the iPhone 6 we cannot for some reason get it here in the US - instead we have this crappy universal connector that has a fan to cool your device but a really flimsy clip which is next to useless holding it on - it stays and works but truly cumbersome
I'm like you, in that even though you have to switch out for each new phone, I really prefer the more secure phone-specific solution. I have an iPhone 6S, and even though my M3 is still on a boat, I decided to get the adapter. The iPhone 6 adapter IS available in the US, I bought mine on eBay, and it came with the shrink-wrap still on the box. And yes, the 6S fits in the snap in adapter for the regular 6.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #20
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Really! I had the part no. somewhere and saw it on a European site for sale but had not gone the Ebay route - will have to check that out - Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
I'm like you, in that even though you have to switch out for each new phone, I really prefer the more secure phone-specific solution. I have an iPhone 6S, and even though my M3 is still on a boat, I decided to get the adapter. The iPhone 6 adapter IS available in the US, I bought mine on eBay, and it came with the shrink-wrap still on the box. And yes, the 6S fits in the snap in adapter for the regular 6.
      10-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #21
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat
Quote:
Link to EBay if you don't mind? I can't for the life of me figure out which one is the better solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #22
meauxdogs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550

Is the iPhone6 specific adapter part number 84212407464? If so, it is $221.43 plus shipping on getbmwparts.com.
Appreciate 0