EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
RockinRyan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3- Dinan S2-ish

Can we display instantaneous fuel consumption?

Short of the little Efficient Dynamics meter on the bottom left of our console, is there a way to display the precise number of the fuel we're burning at any given moment? I've never had a Bimmer that couldn't display this number for me, yet I can't seem to get it on my console now. (It's a number that's constantly changing based on how you're driving, not an average that I'm after.)

I can display my average consumption, but that appears to be the number for the long-haul and not even from my trip settings. I want to display my throttle/suspension/wheel settings down under my tach, not the unreadable fuel efficiency bar!

(My ECU firmware is still displaying a gray tach in my M-HUD, if that matters. I plan to get updated to the blue-barred version when I can part with it long enough to let the dealer have it.)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F82

Yes you can. Select the fuel mileage with the button on your blinker, hold it in until it blinks and then release it. It will show real mpg!!
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
RockinRyan
Private
United_States
Rep

Apparently this is just a RESET button!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoevelk View Post
Yes you can. Select the fuel mileage with the button on your blinker, hold it in until it blinks and then release it. It will show real mpg!!
In my excitement, I cross posted your answer to the "what I learned about my M thread" and we're pretty sure that this is just a reset button. So it's instantaneous for literally two seconds, and then it's just a new average being built up.

I'll keep looking, though I'm not overly optimistic now. I was thinking there might be a coding option or something. The data is there, it's just displayed graphically instead of numerically. It's just a few lines of ECU code away from satisfaction!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
RockinRyan
Private
United_States
Rep

I'll ask the coders

So I've Googled deeply and in the case of the E92 M3 (I know, very different, but it still gives me hope) the ability to display instant MPG can be added to the turn-stalk sequence using a code value change to the KOMBI module's DIGITAL_KVA setting.

I'm not sure how far I personally can go with it, but the new objective is to locate these in the F-platform. I'm still hopeful!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F82

sorry dude, might be different on the my2015 vs my2016. It gives me instant read out after i depress and hold the button on my 2016. This might be a change for the my 2016 that the my2015 did not have. It gives instant read out until I turn the car off, then I have to press and hold it again next time I want instant read out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRyan View Post
In my excitement, I cross posted your answer to the "what I learned about my M thread" and we're pretty sure that this is just a reset button. So it's instantaneous for literally two seconds, and then it's just a new average being built up.

I'll keep looking, though I'm not overly optimistic now. I was thinking there might be a coding option or something. The data is there, it's just displayed graphically instead of numerically. It's just a few lines of ECU code away from satisfaction!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
RockinRyan
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoevelk View Post
sorry dude, might be different on the my2015 vs my2016. It gives me instant read out after i depress and hold the button on my 2016. This might be a change for the my 2016 that the my2015 did not have. It gives instant read out until I turn the car off, then I have to press and hold it again next time I want instant read out.
No worries. That button is just resetting the counter each time. Someone found a link to it in the manual in the other thread. I'm still digging hard on trying to find a coding solution to display the instantaneous read out as a number (instead of the bar/gauge that we have.) I'll post back if I win! You still taught me something new about my car.
Appreciate 0