Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-31-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
yellowssm
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Streaming videos pause every few minutes when plugged into USB outlet & on bluetooth

For example say im streaming a video on youtube on my cell phone wether plugged directly into the USB or just over Bluetooth the video will play a few minutes and then pause. I then have to re-select the usb or Bluetooth device (which ever im using) and it will start playing again. Then a few minutes go by and then pauses again. This happens more time than not but sometimes it will play without a problem. Any ideas? It will never doing this while just playing music off my phone, just videos from youtube.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

Is it an iPhone or android?
Is the screen going to sleep on the phone?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowssm
For example say im streaming a video on youtube on my cell phone wether plugged directly into the USB or just over Bluetooth the video will play a few minutes and then pause. I then have to re-select the usb or Bluetooth device (which ever im using) and it will start playing again. Then a few minutes go by and then pauses again. This happens more time than not but sometimes it will play without a problem. Any ideas? It will never doing this while just playing music off my phone, just videos from youtube.
I had this yesterday with Netflix streaming. When plugged to usb it would pause almost immediately but not on Bluetooth, that worked fine for me. I assumed it was the car telling me not to watch tv whilst driving but it was my son who had the iPhone in the back and I wanted the sound through the car for him. Try Bluetooth again as I found that much better.
Of course you will need mobile data reception as loss in reception would also cause it to pause/buffer.

Edit: this was on iPhone 6
      01-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
yellowssm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose View Post
iphone. Not the phone is on the whole time. The video will pause on the phone until I select usb again then the video will start playing automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbooo View Post
I had this yesterday with Netflix streaming. When plugged to usb it would pause almost immediately but not on Bluetooth, that worked fine for me. I assumed it was the car telling me not to watch tv whilst driving but it was my son who had the iPhone in the back and I wanted the sound through the car for him. Try Bluetooth again as I found that much better.
Of course you will need mobile data reception as loss in reception would also cause it to pause/buffer.

I thought it was just when using usb then I tried it over Bluetooth and it did the same thing. Weird thing is its random. Sometimes it plays fine and sometimes it does the pause thing. Its not because of loss of cellular data.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowssm
Quote:
iphone. Not the phone is on the whole time. The video will pause on the phone until I select usb again then the video will start playing automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbooo View Post

I thought it was just when using usb then I tried it over Bluetooth and it did the same thing. Weird thing is its random. Sometimes it plays fine and sometimes it does the pause thing. Its not because of loss of cellular data.
When you try Bluetooth is the lightning cable plugged into your phone?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
yellowssm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
When you try Bluetooth is the lightning cable plugged into your phone?
no
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
SMV_M4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 AW/SO

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Is this a coding option? I haven't had the car coded and have been unable to play video. I only get the sound and a still image.
2008 335xi Coupe / JB/CR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 01:42 AM   #8
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMV_M4
Is this a coding option? I haven't had the car coded and have been unable to play video. I only get the sound and a still image.
The OP is streaming video to his phone and trying to get the audio through the car, not video to the Idrive screen. I believe that is possible through coding by way of dvd or video from usb stick. Without coding the only video option on screen is Dvd whilst stationary.
      06-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #9
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowssm View Post
no
Not sure if you have solved this, but check your sleep settings on your phone. If the screen goes into sleep mode, or the screen dims, then it will kick you out on idrive.

Also, how is the audio delay on netflix? There is a good 2-3 seconds delay on mine which makes it unwatchable.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #10
yellowssm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Not sure if you have solved this, but check your sleep settings on your phone. If the screen goes into sleep mode, or the screen dims, then it will kick you out on idrive.

Also, how is the audio delay on netflix? There is a good 2-3 seconds delay on mine which makes it unwatchable.
It's not that. A second or2 delay
Appreciate 0