PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Front Plate

Those that live in front plate states and did not drill the bumper, what are you running? I had a US Millworks tow hook bracket on my M5 and it was great, however it does not seem like they make one yet for the X5M. Outside of just not running a front plate, anyone find any options? I would prefer to use a front plate if there is a good option outside of drilling the bumper, because that ain't happening.
      02-28-2016, 04:45 AM   #2
Troy172416
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M: DG w/ MR

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Pedal Hause has one

I emailed with Brian at pedal Haus about one they have. He was very nice, answered a number of questions for me.

Here is the link.

http://www.pedalhaus.com/quickrelease.html
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 08:07 AM   #3
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy172416 View Post
I emailed with Brian at pedal Haus about one they have. He was very nice, answered a number of questions for me.

Here is the link.

http://www.pedalhaus.com/quickrelease.html
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #4
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Have you ever gotten a ticket for not having front plates? If pulled over, just say the front bracket is on order. I never had issues with not having front plates in TX and MO.

If you must, U.S. millworks is the best. Ask them to make it for the new X5.
      02-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Have you ever gotten a ticket for not having front plates? If pulled over, just say the front bracket is on order. I never had issues with not having front plates in TX and MO.

In some states, it is now a moving violation, with points added to the license, and insurance premiums that rise, if caught running with no front plate. That's the case with MA. Despite that, I still don't have a front plate, but for some people, they aren't willing to risk that.

I agree with you, U.S. Millworks has the best. I have a tow hook plate mount from them that I used on my E70, that I use for state inspections, and for when I travel through western MA, where you're more apt to be cited for no front plate. If they came out with one specifically for the F85, I'd replace the one I have.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
Quote:

In some states, it is now a moving violation, with points added to the license, and insurance premiums that rise, if caught running with no front plate. That's the case with MA. Despite that, I still don't have a front plate, but for some people, they aren't willing to risk that.

I agree with you, U.S. Millworks has the best. I have a tow hook plate mount from them that I used on my E70, that I use for state inspections, and for when I travel through western MA, where you're more apt to be cited for no front plate. If they came out with one specifically for the F85, I'd replace the one I have.
Wow, sounds like cops are dicks up there. If you live in a front plate state, you should consider joining a petition. The front plates add 0 values nowadays with fast cameras and police plate scanners. Eliminating the front plate would reduce the cost and material by 50%. The state I live in, KS, is doing just fine without the front plates.
      02-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #7
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wow, sounds like cops are dicks up there. If you live in a front plate state, you should consider joining a petition. The front plates add 0 values nowadays with fast cameras and police plate scanners. Eliminating the front plate would reduce the cost and material by 50%. The state I live in, KS, is doing just fine without the front plates.
I know all about what you speak. I've contacted my reps in the state, and sent them the NHTSA study showing that front plates do not increase policing safety, and do nothing but add extra tax burdens to the citizens of those states that have two plates. I've also signed several petitions.

We have talked about registering our cars back at our PA address. PA is a one plate state. The problem is we don't reside there enough to legally do that. Also, in MA the fees for owning a car, and the leasing fees are less than in PA.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #8
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

I guess I should look at getting a front plate non-drill install kit too. I'm loathe to actually run one as I think it looks pretty bad regardless, but I'm sure if I was to get ticketed that would probably change my feeling on this. Anyone have any other options they prefer? I think front/center bumper would actually be best as it blocks less of the front grill (not that I'm tracking the car or have cooling concerns), and it looks the best. But I'm curious what other folks have come up with.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #9
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
I guess I should look at getting a front plate non-drill install kit too. I'm loathe to actually run one as I think it looks pretty bad regardless, but I'm sure if I was to get ticketed that would probably change my feeling on this. Anyone have any other options they prefer? I think front/center bumper would actually be best as it blocks less of the front grill (not that I'm tracking the car or have cooling concerns), and it looks the best. But I'm curious what other folks have come up with.
http://www.skene.org/bmw/plate/

That's the option I would go with if I had to run a front plate full-time, and like you, wanted it to be front and center. Yes, it requires drilling holes in the car, but they would be in a place virtually invisible if removed, unless someone is rolling around on the ground in front of your car, and in that case, you might have more worries than holes in your bumper ;-)
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 09:12 AM   #10
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

This is another option that's popular with M car owners in two plate states.

http://hidetheplates.com
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #11
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
http://www.skene.org/bmw/plate/

That's the option I would go with if I had to run a front plate full-time, and like you, wanted it to be front and center. Yes, it requires drilling holes in the car, but they would be in a place virtually invisible if removed, unless someone is rolling around on the ground in front of your car, and in that case, you might have more worries than holes in your bumper ;-)
Thanks. I think the Skene one looks great, and should work well (guess it's a combo of self-tapping screws and double sided tape, so it should be secure enough and it looks pretty damn good and concealed under the bumper). Just going to double check the bumper depth and then order one up! As much as I hate the front plate look, I'd much rather have it on rather than give a cop a reason to pull me over or ticket me, if I MIGHT happen to be driving with a little gusto...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #12
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

We just use double sided tape. I go over 180kmh to and from work daily, never had any issues.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #13
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
I know all about what you speak. I've contacted my reps in the state, and sent them the NHTSA study showing that front plates do not increase policing safety, and do nothing but add extra tax burdens to the citizens of those states that have two plates. I've also signed several petitions.

We have talked about registering our cars back at our PA address. PA is a one plate state. The problem is we don't reside there enough to legally do that. Also, in MA the fees for owning a car, and the leasing fees are less than in PA.
It doesn't really matter where you register it; it is where you drive it that counts, right? So if you reg in a 1 plate state but drive in a 2 plate state, you could still get a ticket.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #14
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastelid
Quote:

It doesn't really matter where you register it; it is where you drive it that counts, right? So if you reg in a 1 plate state but drive in a 2 plate state, you could still get a ticket.
It's based on where you register the car. For example, KS is a one plate state. You will only get one plate when your register the vehicle. MO is next door and it is a 2 plate state, so you are not going to get a ticket for driving into MO with only the rear KS plate.
      02-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #15
tastelid
Captain
Rep

I can imagine meter maids in CA not caring if I show up from another state and only one plate. Maybe that's overly cynical.
      02-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #16
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastelid View Post
I can imagine meter maids in CA not caring if I show up from another state and only one plate. Maybe that's overly cynical.
They still can't ticket you for one plate. Without going into all the details, this is an example of the deference that a state must give other states under our federal system.

Our interstate system of travel allows us to go freely into other states. We have to obey local laws, like the speed and parking laws. But how a state elects to license, tag and register an automobile (subject to some federal guidelines) is subject to its primary discretion. I'm not going to get a "failure to have a front plate" ticket in any state, so long as I am in accord with the state that I have registered my vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #17
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
We just use double sided tape. I go over 180kmh to and from work daily, never had any issues.
That might just work. Unfortunately here in the States we don't have the "stylish" EU plates, so they'll be a little overhang on top and bottom. I'll have to check it out. thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #18
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
That might just work. Unfortunately here in the States we don't have the "stylish" EU plates, so they'll be a little overhang on top and bottom. I'll have to check it out. thanks
Yes, that's very true, but better than drilling into the bumper. I plan to use double sided tape when I return to the states, if I move to a state that requires a front plate that is.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #19
tastelid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post
They still can't ticket you for one plate. Without going into all the details, this is an example of the deference that a state must give other states under our federal system.

Our interstate system of travel allows us to go freely into other states. We have to obey local laws, like the speed and parking laws. But how a state elects to license, tag and register an automobile (subject to some federal guidelines) is subject to its primary discretion. I'm not going to get a "failure to have a front plate" ticket in any state, so long as I am in accord with the state that I have registered my vehicle.
This is unfortunate for those of us who live in a 2 plate state that doesn't enforce it as much as the neighboring states. If they consider my home state's laws when enforcing their own, that seems both bad for me and problematic in general.
      02-29-2016, 12:09 AM   #20
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
Those that live in front plate states and did not drill the bumper, what are you running? I had a US Millworks tow hook bracket on my M5 and it was great, however it does not seem like they make one yet for the X5M. Outside of just not running a front plate, anyone find any options? I would prefer to use a front plate if there is a good option outside of drilling the bumper, because that ain't happening.
Patrick,

I have the F15 from US Millworks on mine. because the F85 has a lip on the left side of the tow hook, and the F15 does not, it makes it a bit tricky to get on and adjust so the PDC don't go crazy.
I did get in touch with Brad at US Millworks before the purchase and he said that it would "work". When it didn't initially his support was non existent. So I had to play around with it. Essentially the lip makes the quick release essentially useless. If you decide to get it and need help let me know. Should take you 15 minutes to get it installed.

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #21
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
I have used Skene Design plate holders for years as I am in one of those states where the lack of a front plate is a point eligible moving violation. They work well. I'm actually OK with the front plate.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #22
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

In NY, they will ticket you for not having the front plate when you are parked. I hate the look of the front plate but I don't understand why you care if its attached with a Velcro tape, on a drilled plate or in some other manner. if you have to have the front plate and it already makes the front look less clean, why does it matter how it's attached? For resale purposes? Other reasons?
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0