BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

08-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
zuschnell
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 m5, '18 991.2 gt3,

Limp mode- throttle actuators?

So my car threw a bunch of error codes a few days and went into limp mode. At least six different codes showed up including dsc malfunction, emissions, hill assist, dbc, etc.

Drove the car several times on very short rides in the neighborhood that day and codes continued. Next day, car starters fine but showed emissions error, but no limp mode. Took to dealer and they said it is probably throttle actuators. As per bmw policy, they downloaded latest ecu software and told me that this will probably not fix the issue and I'll probably be back with same problem in a few weeks. What do you guys think?

Car is a 2011 with 44k miles. I've probably tracked it 10-12 times but not at all this year. I've never had a single problem with the car. I drive it pretty hard but have never heard any abnormal sounds from the car and never felt any problem with throttle response. I do have a bpms tune on it for the last three years which is now gone as they reflashed the car at the dealership. No other mods other than an exhaust.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Current: ?13 e92 m3 ESS 585, 22 f95 x5m Comp, Track - '18 manual 991.2 GT3, Wife's family truckster - '20 Volvo XC90 T8
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuschnell View Post
So my car threw a bunch of error codes a few days and went into limp mode. At least six different codes showed up including dsc malfunction, emissions, hill assist, dbc, etc.

Drove the car several times on very short rides in the neighborhood that day and codes continued. Next day, car starters fine but showed emissions error, but no limp mode. Took to dealer and they said it is probably throttle actuators. As per bmw policy, they downloaded latest ecu software and told me that this will probably not fix the issue and I'll probably be back with same problem in a few weeks. What do you guys think?

Car is a 2011 with 44k miles. I've probably tracked it 10-12 times but not at all this year. I've never had a single problem with the car. I drive it pretty hard but have never heard any abnormal sounds from the car and never felt any problem with throttle response. I do have a bpms tune on it for the last three years which is now gone as they reflashed the car at the dealership. No other mods other than an exhaust.

What's the redline limit when its in limp mode? If it's not 4500 RPM, it isn't the throttle actuator. All the other indicators for DKG failure are there: hill assist, DBC, DSC, etc. They are all triggered because the are functions of DSC which makes direct torque requests to the DME and the DME can no longer accurately answer those torque requests.

But no, no software update will fix the problem if it is the actuator(s), it's a mechanical failure which will lead to electrical in short order.
Appreciate 1
zuschnell555.50
      08-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #3
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Read the fault codes and that will tell you exactly what the problem is... I don't understand why the dealer didn't just read the codes and tell you what they were. A software update will do nothing for this.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 1
zuschnell555.50
      08-13-2016, 12:38 AM   #4
bigsurge
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Hey, I believe my issue is throttle actuators, The first symptom I noticed though was when up shifting when I let go of the throttle there was a different sound coming off the left side almost sounded like gears spinning or something that wasnt there before. Did anyone else notice this like an unknown sound when lifting of the gas and shifting up gear aggressively.

Also when the cars cold and I downshift its went in to limp mode a few times I believe redline was locked at 4500
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsurge View Post
Hey, I believe my issue is throttle actuators, The first symptom I noticed though was when up shifting when I let go of the throttle there was a different sound coming off the left side almost sounded like gears spinning or something that wasnt there before. Did anyone else notice this like an unknown sound when lifting of the gas and shifting up gear aggressively.

Also when the cars cold and I downshift its went in to limp mode a few times I believe redline was locked at 4500
Having taken apart over 100 of these, I can say pretty confidently: There will be absolutely zero noise coming from a failed/failing throttle actuator. You definitely need to have the codes read on that one.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2016, 07:23 AM   #6
zuschnell
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuschnell View Post

What's the redline limit when its in limp mode? If it's not 4500 RPM, it isn't the throttle actuator. All the other indicators for DKG failure are there: hill assist, DBC, DSC, etc. They are all triggered because the are functions of DSC which makes direct torque requests to the DME and the DME can no longer accurately answer those torque requests.

But no, no software update will fix the problem if it is the actuator(s), it's a mechanical failure which will lead to electrical in short order.
Rpm was 4500 in limp mode. Why does BMW just reflash ecu if there is really no chance of this fixing the problem? My CA said this won't fix the problem most likely, but this is what BMW recommends first.

Current: ?13 e92 m3 ESS 585, 22 f95 x5m Comp, Track - '18 manual 991.2 GT3, Wife's family truckster - '20 Volvo XC90 T8
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #7
zuschnell
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
Read the fault codes and that will tell you exactly what the problem is... I don't understand why the dealer didn't just read the codes and tell you what they were. A software update will do nothing for this.
Mike, I never asked for the codes which was my mistake. I'll see if I can get them this week. After I get this sorted out, will you guys be able to help me get my tune back? I'm missing the extra grunt my bpm sport tune was giving me, even though it was just a stage one. I'm really noticing the difference in power.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuschnell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
Mike, I never asked for the codes which was my mistake. I'll see if I can get them this week. After I get this sorted out, will you guys be able to help me get my tune back? I'm missing the extra grunt my bpm sport tune was giving me, even though it was just a stage one. I'm really noticing the difference in power.
Of course, as long as you have all the files you were originally sent it will be easy to get it loaded back on. Shoot us a PM or email and we'd be happy to help

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
zuschnell
Captain
Rep

So the dealer initially only reflashed my ecu to the latest firmware. I actually went to the track later that week and the car did fine! Next week, back to limp mode... I had quite a bit going on and kept driving the car for another 6 weeks before I went back and got it fixed. The car would go into limp mode every few days, especially more frequently when it was sunny outside and the car was sitting in a parking lot. I know, weird. I had purchased the extended warranty and got worried that they were going to only replace on throttle actuator and I would end up needing the other one fixed next year after my warranty expired. To my surprise, both banks of actuators were throwing fault codes and both were replaced under warranty! Now the car is running strong and I guess I only have to look forward to a rod bearing failure sometime in the future!

Appreciate 0