Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-23-2016, 04:56 PM   #1
keperna
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Handling issues

Hello, I am new to the forum and came here searching for people that had similar issues that I am experiencing.
I own a 2015 M4. I switched to this car from a 09' C63 and I love it even though I miss the 6.2 V8!
The M4 is at 14.000 miles. Up until 10k miles the handling was just fine and I had a blast driving the car around.
After I hit 10K miles I noticed something that also happened to my C. There was a gap in the steering wheel when I turned it from left to right and vice versa.
This meant that at higher speeds it was very scary to drive.
While taking turns over 50 MPH the car wanted to go straight and I would have to over correct it. On top of this the traction control starts blinking on the dash due to the car almost sliding due to the imbalance.

On the merc I went to the service center, they told me that the steering rack was bent. I replaced it and all was back to normal.

The issue is a bit different on the M4. My SA advised me to align the car. I did this 3 times on 3 different occasion and this didn't solve any of my problems. The first time I aligned it, while going straight, my steering wheel would be slightly tilted towards the left, 2nd time, slightly towards the right and 3rd time slightly towards the left again.
We sat down with my SA and he told me I needed a new rack and pinion + a control arm.

After 1 month of waiting and leaving my car at the dealership during that period of the time, the 2nd steering rack & pinion finally arrived from Germany (the first one didn't fit properly).
I finally took my car out of the dealership today excitedly. I got on a straight road and voila straight steering wheel.
5 mins into driving the car I got onto the highway to see how it handled and unfortunately found my self millimeters close to death when the car again swerved left and right during turns, swerving, and heavy braking.
At this point I don't know what to do. I might sell the car since we weren't able to find what's wrong with it.

On top of that there is a swishing noise when I accelerate from 0-40 that comes from the rear right tire. The dealership couldn't check on that during the one month time because they were working on the rack and pinion.
I will be dropping my car off again at the dealership friday for them to try to figure what the problems are but I feel helpless and annoyed since I know it will stay there another 2 to 4 weeks.

My car is fully stock and never has been to an autocross or track day therefore never driven too hard.

Thank you to anyone that can give me any advice!!! It is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Well this is of no help at all but if you have bent the steering rack on a Merc and needed a complete rack, pinion, and control arm replaced on the BMW I would advise looking in the mirror because you are doing something wrong behind the wheel. This stuff doesn't just happen....

On a possibly helpful note if a steering wheel is off center it will play complete havoc with the stability control system because the car is going in a different direction in relation to the steering wheel so it will activate ABS, DSC, and other electronic nannies designed to keep the car going straight. If the wheel is off center and the car is straight the computer automatically assumes the car is in a slide and will do everything it can short of stopping the car to straighten itself. Turn the traction control completely off and go drive the car like normal and you will likely not have those problems because the system isn't intervening.

And your dealer can only work on one problem at a time?? That might be the silliest thing I have ever heard. I would find a new dealer or figure out how to communicate better with the one you have.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 05:35 PM   #3
lippy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

No need to sell the car. Bring it back in, get a loaner, and ask them to elevate the problem to a regional tech rep so they can make sure it's fixed correctly. I'm assuming this is warranty work, right?
Appreciate 0