BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-29-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
bgalex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3, F10 M5

DCT Gear Noise

New to the E90 M3 coming from an E46 M3 Im used to a lot of noises coming from that but have researched this one for the E90 and read multiple times its normal but never seen someone post a video of the situation.

Check out the video below, is that noise normal hearing the gears change?

I test drove another E92 before I got this 19k miles and it did same noise, my friends E92 with DCT GTS tune doesnt make the noise tho, at least i didnt hear being passenger.. Maybe the tune fixes it?

Video: https://vid.me/HaZg
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Shifting from 1st to Reverse will produce some noise because the hydraulic clutches have a small amount of drag with the engine running. This is similar to (less than) an automatic transmission vehicle with a torque converter.

As you change gear selection (1st to Rev) there is a small amount of clearance between all of the parts from the DCT input shaft to the rear wheel mounting flange (rear hub) where the parking or service brake is holding the vehicle. Those small amounts of clearance between gears and connections will allow a small movement of the driveshaft and create the noise.

More clearance or play between parts equals more noise.

With the vehicle on a lift you can observe the driveshaft movement, but the clearance or play cause can be located in several places. There is a chance that your drive train has a little too much play. With out sitting in your car and/or checking on a lift in the air we will have a hard time deciding if this is normal or excessive. Your video is helpful, but really depends on the microphone and placement. If you can go back to your friends car and sit in the driver seat while selecting gears, you will hear the noise...maybe less or maybe more. I do not believe that a DCT software update or tune will change your vehicles sound.

This video will help you with a view of the movement. This is NOT a BMW and uses different parts. The driveshaft movement is similar though.

You could video this on your car by placing your camera in record mode with a drop light under the differential input flange while you operate the shift lever. DO NOT get under the vehicle with the engine running. A skilled professional could do this on a lift for you to verify the problem.

This is not just a "wild ass guess" on my part. I taught automotive classes for 41+ years and specifically Automatic Transmissions, Manual Transmission, and Powertrain classes at the community college level for 37 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #3
bgalex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwelch
Shifting from 1st to Reverse will produce some noise because the hydraulic clutches have a small amount of drag with the engine running. This is similar to (less than) an automatic transmission vehicle with a torque converter.

As you change gear selection (1st to Rev) there is a small amount of clearance between all of the parts from the DCT input shaft to the rear wheel mounting flange (rear hub) where the parking or service brake is holding the vehicle. Those small amounts of clearance between gears and connections will allow a small movement of the driveshaft and create the noise.

More clearance or play between parts equals more noise.

With the vehicle on a lift you can observe the driveshaft movement, but the clearance or play cause can be located in several places. There is a chance that your drive train has a little too much play. With out sitting in your car and/or checking on a lift in the air we will have a hard time deciding if this is normal or excessive. Your video is helpful, but really depends on the microphone and placement. If you can go back to your friends car and sit in the driver seat while selecting gears, you will hear the noise...maybe less or maybe more. I do not believe that a DCT software update or tune will change your vehicles sound.

This video will help you with a view of the movement. This is NOT a BMW and uses different parts. The driveshaft movement is similar though.

You could video this on your car by placing your camera in record mode with a drop light under the differential input flange while you operate the shift lever. DO NOT get under the vehicle with the engine running. A skilled professional could do this on a lift for you to verify the problem.

This is not just a "wild ass guess" on my part. I taught automotive classes for 41+ years and specifically Automatic Transmissions, Manual Transmission, and Powertrain classes at the community college level for 37 years.
Thanks for the deep thorough reply with information. Ive read and even says in the manual from BMW "Sounds shifting from N toD/S or N to R will produce small driveshaft movements which are normal procedure of the vehicle" not direct quote but they do mention it there so Im assuming nothing to panic about
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Your DCT noise is not normal , I don't hear this with my DCT .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #5
bgalex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well I've test driven many and much lower miles and they all do the same thing.. Even bmw states in the manual that its normal
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
Spacedragon
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3 ZCP

I would take it to a shop to be safe, got a 2011 e92 M3 DCT and I don't hear noises just the exhaust lol
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalex View Post
Well I've test driven many and much lower miles and they all do the same thing.. Even bmw states in the manual that its normal
Agreed , I have some slight noise (when cold it's louder) but yours sounds in your video about 60-70 % louder .
If you say it's normal and all ///M's do ...Why your question ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #8
bgalex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalex View Post
Agreed , I have some slight noise (when cold it's louder) but yours sounds in your video about 60-70 % louder .
If you say it's normal and all ///M's do ...Why your question ?
Only happens stationary not when changing gears while driving.

Im assuming it could be normal because ive heard it in other cars and bmw stated in manual but then I hear others saying you dont hear anything. Maybe you dont hear because of the exhaust? Haha!

Kind of wondering
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 11:03 PM   #9
G-Lo408
El Eme Tres!
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Mine does the same thing, 71k miles
      09-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #10
azndrunk74
Major
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black F10 M5

normal. i wouldn't worry about it
2014 Frozen Black F10 M5 | Agency Power HFC Downpipes | Custom Open Flash Stage 2 Tune | KW HAS kit | 3D Design Lip | 3D Design Skirts | 3D Design Spoiler | IND Front & Rear Reflectors | IND M5 Badge | M Performance Steering Wheel | M Performance CF Shift Knob | Pedal Haus Pedals & Paddles | Turner Exhaust |
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 07:20 PM   #11
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

my car did this and it was quieter. now that i have solid diff/subframe bushings, it is a lot more pronounced. i'm ok with it.
      09-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #12
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

The owner's manual literally says "because this is a motorsports vehicle, it will make more noise and be less smooth than other cars".

In other words: normal.
      09-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #13
bgalex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Good to hear from other members as well!

Now I'm trying to do the OEM exhaust mod to get a little more noise
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #14
Umi|all|day
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 SS M3 E92

Completely normal, matter fact you're going to end up loving the noises DCT's make
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #15
bgalex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4sure
Completely normal, matter fact you're going to end up loving the noises DCT's make
Haha hopefully they're good ones..
Appreciate 0