BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
Logodude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP

Opinions wanted- Megan racing cat-back plus secondary cat delete

After listening to some of the Megan Racing cat-back exhausts with test pipes (primary) I read that it has a decent amount of drone but it sounds amazing! While the cat-back alone, (to me) isn't quite as aggressive as I want it to be. So I was thinking of keeping the OEM mid-section but remove the secondary cats (don't have to worry about MEL) to step it up a little while keeping the resonators (to keep as much drone away as possible) to put me in the happy medium. Not to mention, this exhaust is very affordable, available in Europe, and good quality.

I searched for sound clips/videos and could't find any so far. If anyone can direct me towards a sample that would be great.

Will removing the secondary cats give me a more aggressive not while not adding any drone? I'm aware the this exhaust comes with some amount of drone.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logodude
After listening to some of the Megan Racing cat-back exhausts with test pipes (primary) I read that it has a decent amount of drone but it sounds amazing! While the cat-back alone, (to me) isn't quite as aggressive as I want it to be. So I was thinking of keeping the OEM mid-section but remove the secondary cats (don't have to worry about MEL) to step it up a little while keeping the resonators (to keep as much drone away as possible) to put me in the happy medium. Not to mention, this exhaust is very affordable, available in Europe, and good quality.

I searched for sound clips/videos and could't find any so far. If anyone can direct me towards a sample that would be great.

Will removing the secondary cats give me a more aggressive not while not adding any drone? I'm aware the this exhaust comes with some amount of drone.
Here's a video that you may be looking for. I believe he removed his resonators only tho. I'd removed secondary cats and resonators if I were you!
      09-24-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
It will sound like a demon at wot and on down shift rev matches but will drone like crazy. Loved my exhaust but the drones got on small trips made it uncomfortable.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
Bushum
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

I have the Megan with aftermarket X-pipe with no secondary cats or resonators. I don't notice any drone at all.
Appreciate 1
Bucki14155.50
      09-25-2016, 11:19 PM   #5
Logodude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushum View Post
I have the Megan with aftermarket X-pipe with no secondary cats or resonators. I don't notice any drone at all.
Can you share what x-pipe you have?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #6
Bushum
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logodude View Post
Can you share what x-pipe you have?
Remus Race

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1165447

I posted videos in that thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
Bucki14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT | Novitec Ferrari FF

I have primary hfc and no secondary or resonators....no drone here either....

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/boostedtrav_/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/boostedtrav
Appreciate 0