BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

10-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
cmichaelo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3, '22 Toyota Rav4

Hanger support of ESS HFC crosspipe

I just installed the ESS HFC crossover pipe. Catback section is all stock. I can feel the power gain, especially in the lower RPMs. At idle, it's just slightly louder thann stock. It then gets increasingly louder than stock with increased RPM. No CEL light. I'm going to add the ESS tune in about a week.

Anyway, one thing that bothers me is that the ESS pipe is not supported in the middle by the stock brace plate. Is this OK? Is there support enough from the hanger just after the cats and the hangers on the connecting pipes?
Z4MC: KW V3 coilovers (rears)

Last edited by cmichaelo; 10-15-2016 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
M43S7RO503.00
      10-15-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I also have the ess hfc xpipe

It's a little odd, but the ess xpipe weighs like half of the oem one. It seems to be fine so far!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #3
cmichaelo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hmm, that's a good point about the weight. I noticed that too that it's significantly lighter than stock. I was really surprised. Anyway, that could explain why this crosspipe doesn't require support in the middle. Still, a similar pipe like Evolve or Active Autowerke both use the stock's center brace support. The AA crosspipe is almost identical, except for the location of the crossover section. AA, btw, is adverticed as weighing 25lbs, 15lbs less than stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

This was my biggest gripe about this pipe, very well designed x-section imo but they dropped the ball on the support.

It did worry me that if the exhaust brackets did somehow come loose, then the x-pipe could dangle and possibly cause damage to the headers. Maybe far fetched, but a worry I had.

I tried installing the brace again but the x-pipe would rattle against the brace. I then tried giving it some space with washers and that did the trick but something about it bothered me and I ditched that solution also.

I ended up attaching some exhaust wrap using the brace bolts to act as a bridge in case the x-pipe should fall, the wrap sits in the same positon and would catch the pipe.
      10-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #5
cmichaelo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting what you're saying about the brace because I ended up putting the brace plate there as well, but with enough washers in between to leave about 1/4" clearance to the x-pipe and, like you said, just in case it should fall off the hangers somewhere.

Btw, I'm having trouble getting a good fit to the rear section since ESS didn't properly align the flanges. When i first assembled the exhaust it leaked like crazy. Then I cut about 1/2" off the little metal piece that ties the two resonators together and squeezed them together. Now it's a lot better, but still there. Next step is to make a minor adust to the one of the connecting pipes and put in a small amount of Permatix RTV, and it should be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Interesting. My rear section is the Evolve valvetronic and I had no issues mating it up. I literally installed in after a track day at Watkins Glen
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #7
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I was quite surprised too by the absence of support but once fitted and tightened, I found there is zero issue. The piece is stiff, does not wiggle nor touch, even when tracking hard. Well designed I would say. Not an issue for me.