Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

12-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
instantexpert
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Planning on an M3... logistics question (new vs cpo, etc.)

Hi all,

The last time I was active on this forum, I had just traded my 2005 330i ZHP for a 2009 135i. In retrospect, that was a huge mistake.

A few poor decisions later (Honda Element, Focus ST), I returned to BMW with my X1 35 M-sport. I'm finally in a place where I can step up to an M car when my owner's choice "lease" is up in June.

That brings me to the problem, with the apparent (possibly M4 only?) suspension of production and the 6 months out on my lease, I'm too far out to make poor decisions and jump out of my lease without a pull ahead. Additionally, 2018 delivery won't happen until a couple of months after my lease is done.

My options as I see it are:

1. Hope for a pull head right after the first of the year which allows me to buy the perfectly optioned M3 on the local dealer's floor. I have no control over this.
2. Order a 2018 and get a lease extension or go carless for a couple of months. As long as the 2018 price hike doesn't kick it out of the price range I'm willing to pay, this is probably the most likely option.
3. Buy a CPO.

My questions are:

1. I trust my dealer completely. We're neighbors and have been working together for over a decade. He's always treated me well. He indicated that his dealership rarely takes used M cars because they have too many problems with them being beat to hell on the track. Should I have any concerns on this issue?

2. Are there issues I haven't considered.

Thanks!
      12-23-2016, 12:17 AM   #2
Rschin2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

First off, let me say I feel your pain. I'm in a similar situation in terms of the timing of my lease end and the whole production stop. My lease ends at end of May. Really the only way I can get into an M is if they just happen to have a pull ahead in January, but even if they do, I'm not sure if they'll even have any allocations for 2017 builds (can anyone confirm this?); so I'd probably have to find one on a lot, and dealers probably won't negotiate much on sale price.

If you're purchasing, I've seen many people on here say buying used is the best way to go; you're saving a substantial amount of money and the car is still under warranty. It may be your best option if you don't want to be out of a car for a few months.

Also,has it been confirmed that the production stop is for both M3 and M4? I've seen some conflicting information.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

I'm looking at CPO's in my area... wow.

~60,000 for fully loaded vehicles with under 3k miles.

0.9% financing over 72 months plus most rebates still apply.

I think I might get into a nice garage queen CPO
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #4
instantexpert
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post

My area is quite a bit less flush with the CPOs. The best deal I can find is a reasonably loaded model with 15K miles for $58K! Everything else comes way close to the cost of the one I'd spec out new.
      12-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

Shortage of preowned M cars being tracked really a problem? The cars are usually under warrantee and it's he customers that take on the risk of a car that's been driven hard on the track.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #6
dantm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post

I will be in the same dilemma. One thing to keep in mind is if you will be recieving the maintenance program. 2015's come with maintenance transferable to new owner, but I know there were some plan changes 2016 and 2017 which makes it no longer transferable. I plan to buy a used 2015 that is still under warranty until 2019 with maintenance included. CPO cars should be hitting the market off lease very soon. They only issue is these cars may have more miles too... if anyone can verify maintenance changes that would be great!
Appreciate 0