BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-09-2017, 02:14 AM   #1
1three5e82
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Has anyone bought these from ebay before?

Hey gents

wondering if anyone has ever bought these items from ebay before?

First is a front lip spoiler

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-11-BMW-E8...s=Model%3A135i

Second is a rear diffuser

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber...NYGWDb&vxp=mtr

Any thoughts or help would be great

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 02:37 AM   #2
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

I have bought the diffuser but from a different seller. Honestly, it probably came out of the exact same factory as the one from this seller.

The fit is good but not great. Overall it just feels slightly too short. The tabs mount up well and it's perfectly flush along the top, however, the corners are not very well aligned. I also couldn't make one of the screw holes line up whatsoever with the mounting point so it is held in place with only 4 screws instead of the OEM diffuser which uses 6. The aftermarket ones only use 5.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:04 AM   #3
1three5e82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Aus View Post
I have bought the diffuser but from a different seller. Honestly, it probably came out of the exact same factory as the one from this seller.

The fit is good but not great. Overall it just feels slightly too short. The tabs mount up well and it's perfectly flush along the top, however, the corners are not very well aligned. I also couldn't make one of the screw holes line up whatsoever with the mounting point so it is held in place with only 4 screws instead of the OEM diffuser which uses 6. The aftermarket ones only use 5.
good to know, thanks mate, I guess you get what you pay for haha

Is it noticeable in the corners at all though?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 06:07 AM   #4
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1three5e82 View Post
good to know, thanks mate, I guess you get what you pay for haha

Is it noticeable in the corners at all though?
If you bend down and really look at it, it is noticeable. From just a couple of feet away though, unless you knew it wasn't perfect, you probably wouldn't pick it.

This is from a couple of feet away.

You can see the fitment around the corners in this photo. It's more noticeable on an angle like this. From straight-on, it is not as obvious.

Other than that, I'm very happy with it. The quality of the carbon is quite good and the weave is very consistent. There are a couple of areas where the weave is a bit stretched (mainly around the sharp corners of the grills) but again, you wouldn't see it unless you are right up close to it and are specifically looking for it.

Overall I'm very happy with it for the price. Considering a genuine BMW Performance diffuser is around the $2000 mark and I paid about $500 delivered, I really can't complain. Yes, the genuine item is undoubtedly better but this one is a quarter of the price and by no means is it only a quarter of the quality.

I bought mine from eBay seller 3amotor_us.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Mid_Night_F20
Private
Rep
Drives: 125iM N20

I'd agree, you get what you pay for..

I've bought some CF mirror covers and within 2 weeks during this Melbourne summer the fibers started bubbling up through the clear coat and it looked terrible so they were ditched.

However diffusers / lips are not always in direct sunlight so they may survive
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2017, 09:14 PM   #6
Elusivity
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Helped a mate put on the exact same front lip on 2 weeks ago, his came from the same seller you've listed. I bought mine from this seller as it was a bit cheaper for the lip and shipping, currently on it's way to me: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/07-11-BMW...-/331752305873

Searching US ebay there are 3 sellers with the same lip, two are in the same suburb in California and one is in an adjoining suburb, searching about a bit more online there are another 2 places around that same local area that only sell to us and canada with the same lip so logic would dictate a local fabricator is making and selling this modified polyurethane version of the Hamann CF lip to local car shops.

Fitment wise if you line up the front both sides will be about 2-3cm too wide, so you'll need to get the heatgun out on two the tops of the raised 'bump' toward the middle of the bar (bump which fits into the notch at the bottom of the stock bar).

Heat one bump enough to make it go soft (not liquid!) then push the side downwards on a flat surface (floor) and backwards (following the curvature of the front bar) and hold it into place until it cools. I pressed down on the bump (which had a tendency to bulge backwards or inwards) and half of the lip while he pulled the lip inwards and pushed the other half of the lip downwards. This is definitely a two person job.

I suggest using a couple of layers of thick tape over your finger tips, so you don't press glove marks into the surface of the lip.

You may also like to tape out on the floor the angle you need to get the sides back to, but we did it by just looking at it and free handing it, didn't bother to test fit it in between sides but it came out spot on.

The replacement screws that come with the kit weren't great, so we did a Bunnings run and got similar fitment self taping screws and also used 3M double sided tape to keep the lip on tightly.

Anecdotally it's held well, although due to debris on the highway it's been scuffed up a bit, but the screws & 3M tape have held it. The same bit of debris also chipped a piece out of one of his GTCX's so it was a hefty bit of cr*p and the lip help up to it well.

I'll ask him if he's cool if I post a pic of it so you can see the end results, but it'll basically be the same as the diff sellers pics just on a le mans blue car.

Last edited by Elusivity; 03-12-2017 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: more info about remolding technique
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
1three5e82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Cheers for the help guys
appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 11:12 PM   #8
Stools
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 135 coupe

I have the rear diffuser. It's not a perfect fit but much better than the photo above. I'd give it 95/100.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 12:19 AM   #9
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stools View Post
I have the rear diffuser. It's not a perfect fit but much better than the photo above. I'd give it 95/100.
Where'd you get it, is the seller still around and selling them?

There's this thread going too: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...0#post21406900

eBay looks like it can be quite hit & miss (duh)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 02:43 AM   #10
Stools
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 135 coupe

That's the same M-tech branding as mine.
I bought it for an extra $30US than that listed price from speed-motoring who don't seem to currently have one.
Mine is almost perfect.

Let us know how the lip goes!
Appreciate 0