ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

03-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
f83woody
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: It's a car

Buying Private vs Dealer

I was really hoping to find what I'm looking for within a dealership but after a few months of searching the only exact match I have found is being sold privately.

Other downside of this is that the car is in a different state so it makes the logistics harder with it being private as well.

Aside from this, what are some things I should look out for and will the warranty be transferable if I buy it from him?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 11:06 PM   #2
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

As long as the car is within the standard 4yr/50 mile period it should be within the original factory warranty. However, you should definitely check with an authorized BMW dealership before purchasing to make sure they are so issues with the car or the applicability of the factory warranty. There have definitely been cases where a VIN has been "blacklisted" due to modifications, so although very rare, I would certainly check before spending your hard earned money on a used car.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 11:47 PM   #3
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

You could also reach out to a 3rd party and have them check the car out for you. As long as the Watranty is still good not sure I'd worry much more than that.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f83woody View Post
I was really hoping to find what I'm looking for within a dealership but after a few months of searching the only exact match I have found is being sold privately.

Other downside of this is that the car is in a different state so it makes the logistics harder with it being private as well.

Aside from this, what are some things I should look out for and will the warranty be transferable if I buy it from him?
I've been on the buying and selling ends of private car transactions.
The buying considerations are the same as they would (should?) be when buying a used car from a dealer.

The only added concerns is seller's honesty in disclosing car's history.
With a dealer, this uncertainty is gone - you know they will be lying through their teeth.

Out of state is not much of a concern, just slightly more complicated logistics of picking up the car. If you have a willing friend, drive with him/her in your car, caravan together on the way back. If not, you have to rely on public transport/uber.

1). Even if the car is still under warranty, schedule a pre-purchase inspection with a competent independent BMW shop (check with local BMW CCA chapter's web site). This will validate if the car had been in accident, has fluid leaks, or has other outstanding maintenance concerns. It's the best $100-200 you will ever spent, as the inspection will uncover issues. The only questions are whether they major or minor, and how much you get to negotiate off the asking price vs. walking away.

2). If the car is out of 4/50 warranty, #1 becomes that much more important.

3). If the seller refuses to take the car to an independent shop of your choice for an inspection (that you pay for), walk away right then and there.

4). Ask seller for maintenance records. If they have them - you are ahead of where most dealers are. If they don't, ask for a VIN, and slip a friendly dealer SA a "gift" to pull the service history on the car. You will find out if it has had any recurring problems. You can also run a Carfax report with a VIN, a precursor to committing to paying for a pre-purchase inspection.

5). Draft a Bill Of Sale (BOS) that both parties will sign, along with signing the title over to you. Eye ball the seller (take him/her for lunch!) before exchanging the certified check for signed BOS+title. If anything seams fishy at any time - walk away.

a
Appreciate 2
KevinM2935.50
      03-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

+1 to above post. If the car is still under the 4yr/50k Mike warranty you have little to worry about and I would always go private party. The dealer markup is just too crazy. As far as trusting one over the other, what makes you think a dealer knows much about the car. It's not like they were the original owners in it. They are just reselling someone else's car to you. I would always go the PPI route and have an independent shop check out the car once everything else checks off. I have bought 2 of my m3's from out of state and and didn't have any issues. A lot depends on the seller. I never deal with sellers who are not thorough. For my E90 M3 that was out of warranty I had the seller take over a 100 pictures and he answered and addressed all of my concerns. A good seller will always comply especially when you are flying out or driving hours to come buy the car. If they are a member on m3post that gives me even more confidence as I can see some of their car's history based on the posts.

Good luck.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #6
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
No real gotchas to nail you to be honest. There is so much information available these days by running a VIN check that you should feel comfortable. Assuming the warranty is intact and depending on what model year the car is the maintenance likely won't transfer unless you pay a $700 fee and then you have to determine if it's worth it to pay that fee based on how long is left for maintenance. Definitely have a dealer do a PPI and then you can have the VIN check done as well.

Keep this in mind that dealers have all sorts of stuff at their disposal to hide potential issues(not saying all dealers) that a private seller really doesn't have access to so you will likely have a more honest buying experience if you do your due diligence.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #7
Driver37
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Boxster /E46 325 RIP / e30 325

Sucks to hear that dealer reputations have gone to such trash.

At my dealer for pre-owned vehicles you have to sign a CARFAX. Granted not everything is reported to CARFAX but we must disclose if anything has happened. Also for both new and used (CPO) vehicles you have to sign the vehicle history. I would never turn down someone the opportunity to have a vehicle taken for a PPI.

Once again. Sucks dealers have such crap reputations. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 07:49 PM   #8
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

Quote:

what are you looking for
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #9
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Order the car exactly how you want it OP. Better yet do an ED!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 08:40 AM   #10
f83woody
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: It's a car

Thanks for all the input everyone. I have actually found exactly what I was looking for in a car from a used dealer in Arizona. The car is currently on its way to New Jersey and soon I'll be the proud owner of a Mineral Grey F83 Vert with Sahkir Orange interior with a manual transmission!

Thank you again everyone!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #11
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for all the input everyone. I have actually found exactly what I was looking for in a car from a used dealer in Arizona. The car is currently on its way to New Jersey and soon I'll be the proud owner of a Mineral Grey F83 Vert with Sahkir Orange interior with a manual transmission!

Thank you again everyone!
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing some pictures.....
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 0