Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
Zero_Cool
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 Imola 6spd

Stripped lug hole on hub..

While swapping to my winter wheels I found one of my front right holes on the hub has some thread damage. The lug nut was stripped. I'm not sure if the dealership who put the summer wheels on had a role in this but I'm looking for any tips on possibly re-tapping it? Before I have to replace the hub (looks expensive)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Cool View Post
While swapping to my winter wheels I found one of my front right holes on the hub has some thread damage. The lug nut was stripped. I'm not sure if the dealership who put the summer wheels on had a role in this but I'm looking for any tips on possibly re-tapping it? Before I have to replace the hub (looks expensive)
Post some photos?

Careless air tool use or excessive corrosion can certainly lead to damaged threads inside the hub.

Run a tap to clean the threads and see if that helps.

If you can torque the lug bolt to spec, the threads are holding and you are good to go.
Appreciate 0