BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
boostedMPLS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Suspension Recommendations - Daily/Track/AutoX

I've been searching high and low to find someone who is using their car for the same purposes I am (with suspension recommendations) but no such luck thus far.

I have a 2016 F80 with the M Adaptive suspension and it's my daily driver. In the Summer and Fall months, I use the car on the road course, auto cross and drag strip. I'd like to find something that will work well in all those areas so that I have a smooth and non-jarring ride when just cruising around but will also handle extremely well for track weekends.

Can some of you provide any recommendations of what's worked well for you and is suitable for those purposes?

Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
tomtang
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White

Biggest question you need to answer first before opening up this discussion is: what’s your total budget?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 12:11 AM   #3
boostedMPLS
Private First Class
Rep

Great question. I guess I don’t really have one; I’m just trying to be realistic since 2018 will be the last year I have the car before it goes back in for lease end. Buying the most expensive doesn’t seem to make sense for only getting a year of use out of it but I also don’t want cheap as I’m a firm believer you always get what you pay for in most cases. I’d like to stay around the $2500-$3000 range if I bought new.

Seems like so many people go with KW v3 but the amount of mixed reviews I read and the insane plethora of used v3 systems available is interesting. But again, I don’t know what I don’t know so it’d be great to hear from others using their daily the same way I do and what’s worked really well for them. TC Kline seems like a good option, JRZ RS is another option I’ve researched but more expensive and seems more “pro racing” level and maybe unnecessary for only owning the car for potentially one more season.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 06:07 AM   #4
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedMPLS View Post
Great question. I guess I don’t really have one; I’m just trying to be realistic since 2018 will be the last year I have the car before it goes back in for lease end. Buying the most expensive doesn’t seem to make sense for only getting a year of use out of it but I also don’t want cheap as I’m a firm believer you always get what you pay for in most cases. I’d like to stay around the $2500-$3000 range if I bought new.

Seems like so many people go with KW v3 but the amount of mixed reviews I read and the insane plethora of used v3 systems available is interesting. But again, I don’t know what I don’t know so it’d be great to hear from others using their daily the same way I do and what’s worked really well for them. TC Kline seems like a good option, JRZ RS is another option I’ve researched but more expensive and seems more “pro racing” level and maybe unnecessary for only owning the car for potentially one more season.
I've had Swift Springs, KW V3, and KW Clubsport 2-Way on my car. I've noticed a great increase in performance between each set up, I upgraded from springs, to the V3, and now the Clubsports.

My former F80 M3 was my daily, and my new F80 serves the same purpose.

The biggest change from the springs to V3 was the lack of bounce and the increase of control in direction and steering feel. With springs, the rear end tend to lose itself on bumps and feel a bit jarring. You can feel a HUGE difference in rebound and compression between Swift Springs and KW V3. My daily commute was much better as I did not feel as much of the road imperfections on the freeway or streets, and I could feel a significant difference in handling having tried both Swift Springs and KW V3 at Thermal Club.

Short summary - KW V3 are an excellent choice if you're looking for a solution for street driving and spirited driving.

I only have 300 miles on my Clubsports, so I cannot offer much feedback except that out the box, it's a tad stiffer than the V3s and Swift Springs. I still need to get it properly aligned and have the settings dialed in.

If you're looking for a quote on the V3 as well as other options you may be consider, shoot me a PM and I can happily assist you.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Depending on the number of track days you plan on doing, I'd recommend the JRZ RSTwo Sport (more track) or RSTwo Touring (less track). The advantages of the Sport are it comes with camber plates and choice of spring rates. The TCK DA is another good street-track setup that comes with camber plates and choice of spring rates.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Depending on the number of track days you plan on doing, I'd recommend the JRZ RSTwo Sport (more track) or RSTwo Touring (less track). The advantages of the Sport are it comes with camber plates and choice of spring rates. The TCK DA is another good street-track setup that comes with camber plates and choice of spring rates.
This ^^^
      12-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
boostedMPLS
Private First Class
Rep

This is excellent feedback. Really appreciate the insight! I’d say I’m using the car 80% daily and 20% track days/weekends. I don’t mind a stiffer ride whatsoever but I don’t want to be bouncing around in the drivers seat on a half day cruise either so balance is key for me. My daily commute is less than 3 miles each day to work which is great so I want to have more of a focus on spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #8
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Counter point - why not simply run the stock suspension with some alignment optimizing parts?

Camber plates and a good alignment should be perfect for a car with stock grip levels. If you plan on increasing grip with either compound changes or add a lot more width, then consider adjustable dampers to compensate the added energy the car generates.
Appreciate 1
MPoweRo428.00
      12-31-2017, 02:28 PM   #9
boostedMPLS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3IGHTY View Post
Counter point - why not simply run the stock suspension with some alignment optimizing parts?

Camber plates and a good alignment should be perfect for a car with stock grip levels. If you plan on increasing grip with either compound changes or add a lot more width, then consider adjustable dampers to compensate the added energy the car generates.
A valid point. Would that achieve the goals of what I’m looking for? Reduced body roll, more balanced turn in on the road course and autocross? If people have been doing this instead of full coils, I’d most certainly entertain it as an option. I’ve never had coils on any car before but the feedback I read and hear about is that the handling is a night and day difference and that’s what I’m looking for.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Justin, do you know of any camber plates that work with the V3's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post
I've had Swift Springs, KW V3, and KW Clubsport 2-Way on my car. I've noticed a great increase in performance between each set up, I upgraded from springs, to the V3, and now the Clubsports.

The biggest change from the springs to V3 was the lack of bounce and the increase of control in direction and steering feel. With springs, the rear end tend to lose itself on bumps and feel a bit jarring. You can feel a HUGE difference in rebound and compression between Swift Springs and KW V3. My daily commute was much better as I did not feel as much of the road imperfections on the freeway or streets, and I could feel a significant difference in handling having tried both Swift Springs and KW V3 at Thermal Club.

Short summary - KW V3 are an excellent choice if you're looking for a solution for street driving and spirited driving.

I only have 300 miles on my Clubsports, so I cannot offer much feedback except that out the box, it's a tad stiffer than the V3s and Swift Springs. I still need to get it properly aligned and have the settings dialed in.

If you're looking for a quote on the V3 as well as other options you may be consider, shoot me a PM and I can happily assist you.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 03:12 PM   #11
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bem4 View Post
Justin, do you know if any camber plates that work with the V3's?
Quote:

Ground control makes an application to fit v3. I have a set in stock :thunbsup:
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 03:19 PM   #12
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Ground control makes an application to fit v3. I have a set in stock :thunbsup:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1072769 Interesting, I'm thinking it could make the V3's pretty similar to the cs with the camber plates
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 08:07 PM   #13
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedMPLS View Post
A valid point. Would that achieve the goals of what I’m looking for? Reduced body roll, more balanced turn in on the road course and autocross? If people have been doing this instead of full coils, I’d most certainly entertain it as an option. I’ve never had coils on any car before but the feedback I read and hear about is that the handling is a night and day difference and that’s what I’m looking for.
You won’t reduce body roll, but you’ll increase mechanical front grip when adding camber. Depending on your particular definition of balance you can add or subtract rear toe to get the type of turn in you prefer.

Once those options are exhausted there are plenty of ways to start adding more overall grip. The stock tires are not close to any of the current top street tires, and then you have a range of r-comps to play with. This is all before touching the wheel width, which just opens the grip potential further. By this time brakes will become the limiting factor, and you’ll be looking at ducting, race pads, fluids, etc.

High end, adjustable dampers can be an awesome tuning tool, but they aren’t a magic bullet. I’ve seen plenty of guys go slower on aggressive dampers because the overall package has been compromised. I’d recommend investing in track time, and let the cars deficiencies become apparent as you develop your skills in this chassis.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Stiffer is not always better. That is where some people make their mistakes. Buy the highest quality dampers you can afford, that is one of the most components in your suspension setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #15
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Just had V3's installed on my M4....It's NIGHT & DAY from having my previous setup with springs. It literally is like driving a new car. As Justin said, the V3s are a great choice for daily and spirited driving. AutoTalent actually installed my V3s and did an awesome job I also purchased it from them as well and they have excellent pricing.
      01-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #16
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Just had V3's installed on my M4....It's NIGHT & DAY from having my previous setup with springs. It literally is like driving a new car. As Justin said, the V3s are a great choice for daily and spirited driving. AutoTalent actually installed my V3s and did an awesome job I also purchased it from them as well and they have excellent pricing.
Glad you're liking them Patrick
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 08:59 PM   #17
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:

What’s your compression and rebound settings on the street? If you don’t mind sharing. Thanks

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 01:43 AM   #18
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
What’s your compression and rebound settings on the street? If you don’t mind sharing. Thanks
Out the box, hoping to find some time for E-Motion Engineering (Joey Seele) to get his hands on the car soon.

He dialed in the shop car (also on KW CS2) when I was at Supreme. HUGE difference.

I'll be sure to take notes when I finally find time to bring it over there.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #19
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
Out the box, hoping to find some time for E-Motion Engineering (Joey Seele) to get his hands on the car soon.

He dialed in the shop car (also on KW CS2) when I was at Supreme. HUGE difference.

I'll be sure to take notes when I finally find time to bring it over there.
awesome! out of the box is what i'm using even on the track and they're great. Can't wait for when you share more details

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0