GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
karbonM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 ZCP

Help me understand lowering/HAS

Greetings all,

Now that my f80 has hit 2k miles, I am interested in lowering the front end to get rid of the giant gap. The rear is fine, but would lower it also if needed.

Details are as follows:

'18 f80 competition package. 20in rims, running stock PSS. I want to keep all the factory suspension that the comp pkg offers, simply lower the car. I would like to keep the turning radius, and not have to freak out about speed bumps, and or other conditions that I may experience, as this is my daily driver. This is mainly for cosmetic reasons, I just cant stand how the front is so high.

Should I go with HAS only or do I need anything else? Any advice as to the best approach to this would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Get an Eibach Prokit and only change the front springs. Done.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Get an Eibach Prokit and only change the front springs. Done.
It's not recommended to put aftermarket spring only on front, you need to do for all

Even I am thinking of eibach and called them and their spring rates are lower than stock CP,will that make ride softer because I want same stiffness as stock CP
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
It's not recommended to put aftermarket spring only on front, you need to do for all

Even I am thinking of eibach and called them and their spring rates are lower than stock CP,will that make ride softer because I want same stiffness as stock CP
With the ZCP and Eibach in front-only the difference is 7% softer while being lower and at the same drop as the OEM springs in the rear. That is what the OP asked -daily driver/cosmetic reasons. I would not suggest this mod for at limit handling/track.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
DavidGP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG F80 6spd

This might be crazy talk, but can you put Eibachs on the perch of the HAS. That way you have a better spring with the option of height adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
karbonM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

still looking for opinions or what others have done!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

In order to reduce the wheel gap, you have to install a HAS kit or springs. A HAS kit would allow you to dial in the desired height front and rear while springs are preset heights. With a lowered car there are inherit risk. Most notably scraping your front lip or bottoming out. If you cannot manage those risks then keep your car at stock height.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 02:27 AM   #8
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

I had KW HAS. At first, it was great. Car handled and rode really well. After a few thousand miles, the stock shocks couldn’t handle the increased spring rate and lowered ride height and began to wear out. Car started to feel floaty on the freeway and would get upset more easily over sharper bumps. Overall performance degraded to the point where I eventually replaced my suspension w/ Bilstein PSS10 coilovers.

I have lowered every single car I’ve ever owned. Sometimes spring only kits work well for tens of thousands of miles. But most of the time, they don’t. The reality is, a full coil over set up or matched springs and shocks with firmer damping are always better than springs only paired with stock dampers that are not designed to withstand the increased spring rates and lowered/reduced suspension travel.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
karbonM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
I had KW HAS. At first, it was great. Car handled and rode really well. After a few thousand miles, the stock shocks couldn’t handle the increased spring rate and lowered ride height and began to wear out. Car started to feel floaty on the freeway and would get upset more easily over sharper bumps. Overall performance degraded to the point where I eventually replaced my suspension w/ Bilstein PSS10 coilovers.

I have lowered every single car I’ve ever owned. Sometimes spring only kits work well for tens of thousands of miles. But most of the time, they don’t. The reality is, a full coil over set up or matched springs and shocks with firmer damping are always better than springs only paired with stock dampers that are not designed to withstand the increased spring rates and lowered/reduced suspension travel.
Completely understand that. I just wanted to keep as much as could as far as the competition package suspension. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

I had similar concerns, OP - that is, I wanted to retain the factory ZCP characteristics, just lessen the "gap" in the front of the car. I went with MPHAS. Sure, it's an expensive alternative to other options like KWHAS or springs (especially when installed via dealer), but the peace of mind that comes with the warranty backing was worth it to me.

When installed by-the-book, this kit doesn't allow for an aggressive drop, but it does allow you to close up the front gap quite nicely and retains (IMO) virtually identical ride characteristics to the ZCP springs. As far as handling goes, I haven't pushed the car with the MPHAS installed, but it certainly feels more planted in daily driving.

It comes down to whether or not closing that gap and retaining warranty is worth $2k+ to you. Good luck!
      02-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #11
karbonM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post
I had similar concerns, OP - that is, I wanted to retain the factory ZCP characteristics, just lessen the "gap" in the front of the car. I went with MPHAS. Sure, it's an expensive alternative to other options like KWHAS or springs (especially when installed via dealer), but the peace of mind that comes with the warranty backing was worth it to me.

When installed by-the-book, this kit doesn't allow for an aggressive drop, but it does allow you to close up the front gap quite nicely and retains (IMO) virtually identical ride characteristics to the ZCP springs. As far as handling goes, I haven't pushed the car with the MPHAS installed, but it certainly feels more planted in daily driving.

It comes down to whether or not closing that gap and retaining warranty is worth $2k+ to you. Good luck!

I'm currently having a similar thought. Have any pics of yours after the install?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 08:02 AM   #12
SO17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MY M4CP

A friend of mine took delivery of his '18 M3 Comp Pack and immediately fitted a set of the Eibach Pro Kit springs. His car now feels softer and less controlled. I have recently taken delivery of an '18 Comp pack M4 and was also about to fit a set of the Eibachs as I had a set on my previous '17 non CP car where I felt they actually improved that car. Having now had a ride in his car I feel it would be a detrimental step on a '18 CP car and have decided to fit MP HAS instead as I believe (only from what I've read) that the MP HAS springs are the same rate as the CP cars..
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #13
karbonM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO17 View Post
A friend of mine took delivery of his '18 M3 Comp Pack and immediately fitted a set of the Eibach Pro Kit springs. His car now feels softer and less controlled. I have recently taken delivery of an '18 Comp pack M4 and was also about to fit a set of the Eibachs as I had a set on my previous '17 non CP car where I felt they actually improved that car. Having now had a ride in his car I feel it would be a detrimental step on a '18 CP car and have decided to fit MP HAS instead as I believe (only from what I've read) that the MP HAS springs are the same rate as the CP cars..

Good to know. I'm being told by multiple people that over time, HAS will destroy the stock shocks. Not sure after how long, but just something to keep in mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #14
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbonM3 View Post
Good to know. I'm being told by multiple people that over time, HAS will destroy the stock shocks. Not sure after how long, but just something to keep in mind.
I wouldn’t say it “destroys” the stock shocks but on my car, after about 5k miles or so the damping felt noticeably reduced, car was bottoming out more and getting more of that pogo effect going over large bumps on the freeway. Some may not notice at all and be 100% fine with it. For me, I switched to full coilovers soon after.

If you just want to close the front gap, I’d suggest getting the MP version of the KW HAS kit, keep rears at stock height and drop the front just .5” or maybe .75” at the most. Minor lowering should prolong the life of the stock shocks. Ultimately though, they are still heavier springs and will wear out the shocks faster than stock springs.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 09:12 AM   #15
karbonM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn’t say it “destroys” the stock shocks but on my car, after about 5k miles or so the damping felt noticeably reduced, car was bottoming out more and getting more of that pogo effect going over large bumps on the freeway. Some may not notice at all and be 100% fine with it. For me, I switched to full coilovers soon after.

If you just want to close the front gap, I’d suggest getting the MP version of the KW HAS kit, keep rears at stock height and drop the front just .5” or maybe .75” at the most. Minor lowering should prolong the life of the stock shocks. Ultimately though, they are still heavier springs and will wear out the shocks faster than stock springs.
Yep, I agree. I think that is my best course of action. .75'' should be enough to not destroy the lip i will be adding as well since this is my DD.
      03-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #16
TTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3 f80, X3M, Huracan perf, 1m

Quote:
Completely understand that. I just wanted to keep as much as could as far as the competition package suspension. Thanks!
Why? Go KW ClubSport 3Way
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #17
LHM3DLA
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

I also have a 2018 M3 ZCP. I wanted to get rid of the front gap so I got Swift Springs installed. They actually just finished the install today, I will post pictures of it later and report the differences I feel.
Swift Springs / 15mm H&R Spacers
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2018, 11:55 PM   #18
LHM3DLA
Rep

Here are some pics of my 2018 ZCP with swift springs. First impressions after driving it for 2 days, love it!! Feels like stock ride quality but cornering feels so much tighter. No regrets at all. Best of all, front wheel gap is gone. I have some spacers on there as well, no rubbing issues and stance is perfect in my opinion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dpgfunk332.50
      03-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #19
karbonM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Nice! How much did you lower in front?
      03-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #20
LHM3DLA
Rep

Quote:
Nice! How much did you lower in front?
1 inch in the front and .4 in the rear. I think it's perfect with 15mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 11:16 AM   #21
karbonM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM3DLA View Post
1 inch in the front and .4 in the rear. I think it's perfect with 15mm spacers
I'm unsure of what spacers are recommended for ZCP, but I'm thinking either 12f/10r, or 10mm all around. This would be on MP HAS.

Also, is it necessary for coding and alignment to be done afterwards?

Last edited by karbonM3; 03-12-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #22
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
I am quite shocked that the shocks started to wear out after just 5000 miles. That just seems premature. Do you have EDC?
Appreciate 0