Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-25-2018, 10:54 PM   #1
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

minor pad imprinting visible on rotors

Recently washed the car before putting it away for a week while out of town (made sure to drive it around after wash), and first time back in I got that "brake stick" feeling upon reversing out of the garage. Noticed some new juddering while braking but it went away completely after 3-4 hard stops/braking. Guess I never paid close attention to it before, but now I'm noticing some mild pad imprinting on all 4 corners. Again, car drives/brakes perfectly, but just a little paranoid that there's uneven pad residue that could cause problems down the line? Could this be from the brakes sticking after washes +/- driving through winter road grime & salt?

Car has never been tracked, but on the last hard stop as described above, I literally had to come to a stop because of a freaking deer in the road (no joke). Was only stopped for a few seconds but would this be enough to cause uneven pad residue transfer? Go for a thorough re-bedding?
      02-26-2018, 07:14 AM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
A few points:

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 07:15 AM   #3
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

This happened to me after I washed my car and left it for three days. I ended up having to sand the imprint off the rotors to stop the judder while braking.

Now what I do after washing is drive around the block to dry off the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace View Post
This happened to me after I washed my car and left it for three days. I ended up having to sand the imprint off the rotors to stop the judder while braking.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I actually drove the car for a full day after the wash, before putting it away for a week. Surprised I still got the "stuck brake."
      02-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I actually drove the car for a full day after the wash, before putting it away for a week. Surprised I still got the "stuck brake."
Hmm. Could also be the humidity in the air that causes the pad to bind to rotor. I may get some different pads when they need to be replaced eventually.

BTW, I love your colour combo. If I could do it over again, I would've gone with the Azurite.
Appreciate 1
OF Hero1133.00
      02-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
I do this every time now. Mostly so I don't get that ugly brake rust dust on my freshly washed rims.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #7
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Hmm. Could also be the humidity in the air that causes the pad to bind to rotor. I may get some different pads when they need to be replaced eventually.

BTW, I love your colour combo. If I could do it over again, I would've gone with the Azurite.
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

You should read my multiple posts and threads in this Suspension/Brakes subforum - I've had brake judder issues all four winters with the F8x platform - but not one single instance in spring, summer or fall (and I drive way more aggressively and put way more heat into the brakes in spring, summer and fall).

I'm convinced that winter weather and/or winter road conditions are the root cause (combined with the pad material composition). I've had pads/rotors replaced all four winters (100% occurrence rate) and never judder or problems spring, summer or fall times four years (0% occurrence rate).

Stated differently - if winter had nothing to do with this - that would be one hell of a coincidence for four consecutive years...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 07:09 AM   #8
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
You should read my multiple posts and threads in this Suspension/Brakes subforum - I've had brake judder issues all four winters with the F8x platform - but not one single instance in spring, summer or fall (and I drive way more aggressively and put way more heat into the brakes in spring, summer and fall).

I'm convinced that winter weather and/or winter road conditions are the root cause (combined with the pad material composition). I've had pads/rotors replaced all four winters (100% occurrence rate) and never judder or problems spring, summer or fall times four years (0% occurrence rate).

Stated differently - if winter had nothing to do with this - that would be one hell of a coincidence for four consecutive years...
That's weird. I drive my car all year long and I'm in Toronto. So we get cold shit winters as well.

Other than the one time incident described above, I've never had brake pad issues. If I wash my car and leave it for one day, I'll get the typical rust on the rotor that happens after a wash. But not the imprint on the rotor where I had to remove the wheels and sand it off.

For what it's worth, to this date (one year later), you can still see the imprint on the rotor. However, the rotor is completely smooth to the touch and no braking issues.
Appreciate 0