ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

02-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i Msport

Need opinions on a used 2015 M3

Hey Guys,

Hope everyone is doing well.
Im in the market for a manual F80 M3. There is a specific car I'm looking at that is a bit higher mileage and I wanted everyones opinion on a few things listed below. I really appreciate your help and insight especially considering that I would like to purchase the vehicle this Saturday. Please note that it is being sold by smaller dealer and not from an actual BMW dealership:

Car: 2015 Yas Marino Blue M3 (6 speed)
Options: adaptive suspension 19inch wheels, premium package, executive package
Mileage: 40,XXX
Asking Price: 48,000

The car still has 8 months/8k miles left of factory warranty the dealer that holds the car is not local, so I would have to fly to get it. Is it worth considering an F80 with 40k miles? I was considering getting a pre-purchase inspection done but am having a difficult time finding a shop in the area that has time to do it before i fly up on Saturday to hopefully buy it. Since the car still has factory warranty, is it worth spending 200 bucks on a pre-purchase inspection? Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

THANK YOU!

Last edited by mr-crown; 02-27-2018 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
Gtalancon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Azurite M4 ZCP

I would absolutely do a PPI. I would find a BMW dealership nearby, ask if I can make an appointment for a ppi, then fly in early on saturday morning to make sure everything gets done.

Not sure if this is totally true but I've read that if the break in service was done many miles AFTER 1,200 then bmw voids the warranty? Make sure you ask or check the carfax for service checks.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #3
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-crown View Post
Hey Guys,

Hope everyone is doing well.
Im in the market for a manual F80 M3. There is a specific car I'm looking at that is a bit higher mileage and I wanted everyones opinion on a few things listed below. I really appreciate your help and insight especially considering that I would like to purchase the vehicle this Saturday. Please note that it is being sold by smaller dealer and not from an actual BMW dealership:

Car: 2015 Marino Blue M3 (6 speed)
Options: adaptive suspension 19inch wheels, premium package, executive package
Mileage: 40,XXX
Asking Price: 48,000

The car still has 8 months/8k miles left of factory warranty the dealer that holds the car is not local, so I would have to fly to get it. Is it worth considering an F80 with 40k miles? I was considering getting a pre-purchase inspection done but am having a difficult time finding a shop in the area that has time to do it before i fly up on Saturday to hopefully buy it. Since the car still has factory warranty, is it worth spending 200 bucks on a pre-purchase inspection? Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

THANK YOU!
No chance in hell I'd consider this. Too many miles for the price, the price of the individual color might be increasing the price of the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtalancon View Post
I would absolutely do a PPI. I would find a BMW dealership nearby, ask if I can make an appointment for a ppi, then fly in early on saturday morning to make sure everything gets done.

Not sure if this is totally true but I've read that if the break in service was done many miles AFTER 1,200 then bmw voids the warranty? Make sure you ask or check the carfax for service checks.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. I think I found a shop that can do the PPI for about 150. Hoping to get it scheduled. Im also going to call my BMW dealership and verify that the vehicle is in fact still under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82fanatic View Post
No chance in hell I'd consider this. Too many miles for the price, the price of the individual color might be increasing the price of the car.
I hear you. Thats my worry. I am only considering 6 speed marino blue f80s at the moment. It seems thats a rare-ish combo to find. On top of that, this particular car has that orange-ish/red interior which I love as well. I think I can get them to 45,500. If I can negotiate to that amount, do you think thats more reasonable?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Sounds like you're getting a little emotional. Why the rush? Without seeing pics, I would pass for two reasons: mileage and price. There are many M3s/M4s out there for sale for you to potentially allow yourself to get robbed under pressure.

EDIT: If you want better feedback you should post the link to the car. Pictures will tell you quite a bit as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I hear you. Thats my worry. I am only considering 6 speed marino blue f80s at the moment. It seems thats a rare-ish combo to find. On top of that, this particular car has that orange-ish/red interior which I love as well. I think I can get them to 45,500. If I can negotiate to that amount, do you think thats more reasonable?
Look for San Marino Blue, Marino Blue must be a name they input incorrectly. Other good options are Atlantis Blues, Tanzanite Blue, Velvet Blue, Laguna Seca Blue, etc. Look around for the individual blues, maybe you find a pearl. San Marino Blue is a built-to-spec individual color so there will be very very few in the open market. You could have better luck with Tanzanite.

I don't know enough of the used market to tell you if it's good value at that price level, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Look for San Marino Blue, Marino Blue must be a name they input incorrectly. Other good options are Atlantis Blues, Tanzanite Blue, Velvet Blue, Laguna Seca Blue, etc. Look around for the individual blues, maybe you find a pearl. San Marino Blue is a built-to-spec individual color so there will be very very few in the open market. You could have better luck with Tanzanite.

I don't know enough of the used market to tell you if it's good value at that price level, sorry.
Another option is to use the color in your favor. Tell them no one in their right mind would pay 5k for a color, that every comparative car will be priced 5k below and that you want that discounted.

Also bear in mind manual cars sit in lots for a long time, in favor for your negotiation.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Sounds like you're getting a little emotional. Why the rush? Without seeing pics, I would pass for two reasons: mileage and price. There are many M3s/M4s out there for sale for you to potentially allow yourself to get robbed under pressure.

EDIT: If you want better feedback you should post the link to the car. Pictures will tell you quite a bit as well.

Youre probably right, I am rushing a bit. I want that light blue M3 in a 6speed. I have found other options with lower miles but they do not have the adaptive suspension, which I would want.

Here's the link for the car. I spoke to the dealer and he said they have it listed at 47 even though the posting says 48:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&modelCode1=M3

Last edited by mr-crown; 02-27-2018 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #10
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Youre probably right, I am rushing a bit. I want that light blue M3 in a speed. I have found other options with lower miles but they do not have the adaptive suspension, which I would want.

Here's the link for the car. I spoke to the dealer and he said they have it listed at 47 even though the posting says 48:

That's Yas Marina Blue. Ignore everything I said, that color is easy to be had.

I'd run. Other opportunities will come around for sure. It's not something unique.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Youre probably right, I am rushing a bit. I want that light blue M3 in a speed. I have found other options with lower miles but they do not have the adaptive suspension, which I would want.

That's not San Marino Blue. The car in the link you sent is Yas Marina Blue. Those are a dime-a-dozen. It also has 39,xxx miles, not 40,xxx miles and is listed for $49,000. Is this the incorrect link?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #12
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I'd run. Other opportunities will come around for sure. It's not something unique.
I have found other options the issue is more that im having a difficult time finding an F80 in that blue with a 6 speed and adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:22 PM   #13
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's not San Marino Blue. The car in the link you sent is Yas Marina Blue. Those are a dime-a-dozen. It also has 39,xxx miles, not 40,xxx miles and is listed for $49,000. Is this the incorrect link?

My bad, its the Yas marino blue. Called the dealer earlier today and he said the car now has 40k miles and they have it listed internally for 48k. I looked up the KBB value and it says a fair range is 44k-47. I think I can get it to 45 or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #14
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have found other options the issue is more that im having a difficult time finding an F80 in that blue with a 6 speed and adaptive suspension.
They will come up. It's not something that unusual.

If you are ok with a car that has that many miles, then value it on Kelly blue blook or check comparables in carmax. See how they compare in price.

The point is you don't need to rush it, they will come up again.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #15
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Please don't buy this car. Wait for the right one to fall to you. Yas Marina Blue, 6MT, and adaptive suspension is not a rare combination. BTW, what's your budget?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #16
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Please don't buy this car. Wait for the right one to fall to you. Yas Marina Blue, 6MT, and adaptive suspension is not a rare combination. BTW, what's your budget?
It looks like Superman and I agree. Pass on it.
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2237.00
      02-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #17
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

this color combo is very popular. furthermore they shined the shit out the interior...yuck. 48k is a shitload to be paying for 40k. wait it out. you might pay a little more but get a wat better car. youll have to be more patient. right now its going to be alittle harder to find something in low 40s 45. your gunna have to let time takes its toll. dont rush into this car. and run away from this one. your only going to go there and not have them budge and emiotnally buy or ruin your whole experience
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #18
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Got it. Thanks for the insight. I'll keep looking. I dont have a hard budget necessarily but would like to stay 50k and under.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #19
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It looks like Superman and I agree. Pass on it.
Thanks. I'm glad I asked, I thought if I got the car to like 44 or 45K, it would be a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #20
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
this color combo is very popular. furthermore they shined the shit out the interior...yuck. 48k is a shitload to be paying for 40k. wait it out. you might pay a little more but get a wat better car. youll have to be more patient. right now its going to be alittle harder to find something in low 40s 45. your gunna have to let time takes its toll. dont rush into this car. and run away from this one. your only going to go there and not have them budge and emiotnally buy or ruin your whole experience
Thanks for the feedback. I 100% agree on the interior "detail" work they did. I'm a "disciple" of Larry and Ammo NYC cleaning method and hated the glass. Should have a matte borderline satin finish. I'll keep looking. I just got excited I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #21
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Got it. Thanks for the insight. I'll keep looking. I dont have a hard budget necessarily but would like to stay 50k and under.
Sure thing. You typically get what you pay for in the F80 used car market. It's almost always worth it to pay a few more thousand for piece of mind. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have other cars you're eyeing. As you've learned, us folk on this forum aren't afraid to speak up if something is amiss. Good luck and I hope you find a gem!

FYI, as a reference point my 2016 with more options than the car you posted and far less miles (16,xxx) was listed by the dealership I traded it into for $57,xxx. This means it likely sold for less than that.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 03:08 PM   #22
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

OP please dont rush into car buying and PPI is a must for used car. The car u were looking at has high miles for the price and is lowered , not thats it bad but something to look for when u buy a used car. Carfax may not reveal small body repairs which PPI can find out.

I would buy a used M less than 25K miles and would look for 16-17's as there would be lease returns for those years