ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

04-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
gbpackersfan11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche 958

Garage List
Hi,

I am looking for some help on getting a State inspection.

I just moved to the Baltimore area and have a not so legal tinting. It's not super dark but will not pass their Vehicle inspection laws. Can anybody point in the general direction of a good place to look into?

Message me if you have any ideas!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 02:59 AM   #2
Sinnakle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 SO M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpackersfan11 View Post
Hi,

I just moved to the Baltimore area and have a not so legal tinting. It's not super dark but will not pass their Vehicle inspection laws. Can anybody point in the general direction of a good place to look into?

Like a "pass" me place? You could just get it removed pass then get it done again. You wouldn't have to worry about it for a few years at least with a long registration.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 06:12 AM   #3
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnakle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpackersfan11 View Post
Hi,

Like a "pass" me place? You could just get it removed pass then get it done again. You wouldn't have to worry about it for a few years at least with a long registration.
Um. What?

The registration has zero to do with window tint (outside of having a inspection certificate).
Also not sure what you mean by a "long registration"... ?

In MD, tags are renewed every two years. This has nothing to do with a state inspection.

A state inspection (when buying or selling a car) is for a car that's less then 20 calendar years old.

A tint violation is primary offense for the police.

Meaning, if it's illegal, you can go pulled over just for that reason and get a repair ticket.

It's more difficult now to find anyone to just pencil whip it.

Good luck though... our tint laws are stupid.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
///M4Convert
Blessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 Roadster

I over see 29 state inspection stations in Maryland. If the tint is darker then 35% it will not pass. The days of “hook me up” and pass it unfortunately, are gone. Because the process is all done on line now for the state inspections. Before it was pen and paper and all the back end paper work was submitted 30 days later, or when the state trooper came around to collect it. Honestly, it’s cheaper and easier to have it removed. Because if you do find a dishonest state inspector, he is going to charge you a pretty penny to turn a blind eye. Pass the inspection process and have it re installed. You could probably take it off yourself. Any additional question let me know. I’ll be happy to help.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #5
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4Convert View Post
I over see 29 state inspection stations in Maryland. If the tint is darker then 35% it will not pass. The days of “hook me up” and pass it unfortunately, are gone. Because if you do find a dishonest state inspector, he is going to charge you a pretty penny to turn a blind eye. .
No.

What difference does it make if its done online? Inspector can still say tint is legal or no tint at all when there is tint. What the hell do they care? And in all honesty how many times does someone get pulled for tint and get asked "was your car inspected with this tint on it?" Never in my lifetime I have I see it and I have had a handful of cars passed with what would be considered 'illegal' tint. And when I did get pulled over for something that I had to get it inspected for never was I questioned as to when I got it and whether some inspection station passed me illegally.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #6
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4Convert View Post
I over see 29 state inspection stations in Maryland. If the tint is darker then 35% it will not pass. The days of "hook me up" and pass it unfortunately, are gone. Because if you do find a dishonest state inspector, he is going to charge you a pretty penny to turn a blind eye. .
No.

What difference does it make if its done online? Inspector can still say tint is legal or no tint at all when there is tint. What the hell do they care? And in all honesty how many times does someone get pulled for tint and get asked "was your car inspected with this tint on it?" Never in my lifetime I have I see it and I have had a handful of cars passed with what would be considered 'illegal' tint. And when I did get pulled over for something that I had to get it inspected for never was I questioned as to when I got it and whether some inspection station passed me illegally.
I think what he saying the risk being, it could be a state inspector trying to find out if people are doing their job correctly or just pencil whipping anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
gbpackersfan11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche 958

Garage List
I appreciate all the help. I believe I have found a solution to help get my car passed inspection.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 05:27 PM   #8
djpapeleta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83

Op can you PM your solution because I will need it as well this summer for my car.
Appreciate 0