BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-03-2018, 11:18 PM   #1
Absurdium
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 TB

Stud kits and wheel hub threads?

Not sure if this or the wheel forum is more suitable but here goes.

I recently installed a stud kit made by a reputable company (I'm keeping them anonymous as I am not trying to lodge a complaint and I don't believe the studs are of poor quality). I opted to not use loctite for now as I'm not sure if I want to run them long term. Instead, I check my studs during every wheel change to make sure they're properly torqued(about 20-30 ft/lbs). Today I took them off to switch back to bolts but I ran into some issues. The studs were more difficult to remove than the 20ft/lbs would suggest but more importantly, the bolts no longer thread smoothly; I need to apply a lot of force to thread them in and can only hand thread 2-3 turns now instead of several rotations before finishing off with a torque wrench. I am certain that I am not cross-threading them as I was very care during this. I tried running one bolt in and out of each hole to run them in again. Cleaned the hole to the best of my ability but in the end it was still difficult to thread them in and I had to use a long leverage torque wrench to thread majority of the way. The bolt that I used to run in each hole is now worn, with silver metal exposed versus the OEM black. This tells me the threads in the holes are slightly out of spec. Upon visual inspection, they look just fine so I'm not sure what's the problem.

Just wondering, has anyone had any experience with stud kits damaging their threads?

As a next step, I think I'll try using a threadchaser to see if I can make the bolts thread more smoothly. To my knowledge, chasers are softer than taps so they should not cut any thread material thus making this a low risk option. If anyone else has any other suggestions, that would be great appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 08:42 PM   #2
Absurdium
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 TB

Used a thread chaser today and everything is good now. Mods, feel free to delete this thread for me.
Appreciate 0