Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

06-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
goneloco
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
PPF & Ceramic Coatings on leased vehicles?

I've never leased before but I am considering leasing a 2018 M4 (I currently own a 2015 M4). My car has the full front end, rockers, mirrors, and rear bumper covered in Xpel and has been coated. Do you folks that lease do the same?
2003 M3 Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3 Sedan (RIP)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Sure why would leasing matter? You do all those things so you can enjoy driving a pristine vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Yup I even did the full roof and B pillars. Who knows those tariffs might eff up my chances of leasing in the future. Might have to keep it when the lease is over.

Oh and getting my body ready for the lease vs finance posts.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #4
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

I treat my lease vehicles no different than a financed vehicle. If you sell your car every couple of years to get something new, would you treat it any different?
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      06-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #5
larryv
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP 11X5 M Sport 20 I3

I lease a BSM M3 and do the hood, front fenders, bumper, mirrors and lower rocker panels. Would not have it any other way.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 07:31 PM   #6
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

It's all personal choice. I'd never do a PPF on a leased vehicle but I can see benefit in a coating because it makes cleaning so much easier.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 07:34 PM   #7
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

This is the kind of thread that OP starts because he's looking for enablers.

Well you've found us

I haven't done PPF on my leased cars, but I do the coatings. I don't enjoy or have time for detailing anymore, so if it keeps the car pristine for 3 years with minimum upkeep, it's well worth the price
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 10:05 PM   #8
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
I leased mine under my biz for the write-off... and intended to buy mine after lease end. I did Xpel Stealth the entire car... its my favorite mod of all.... which led to a bunch of other shit that my wife does not approve. I have zero regrets!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 11:07 PM   #9
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I just turned my car in today at the end of the 3-year lease. I had Suntek over full front, A-pillars, mirrors and roof. When I got the car I thought I might buy it out at the end of the lease, so I didn't mind spending for the PPF. The car got rear ended a year ago so I didn't buy it out, but I drove a car with no paint chips for 3 years. I'm fine with that.

Next week, I'm picking up my new car and going into the lease expecting to turn it in after 3 years. So, while I may still change my mind, I am not planning on PPF for this one. We'll see how much the chips bother me this time around.
      06-23-2018, 11:20 PM   #10
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I just turned my car in today at the end of the 3-year lease. I had Suntek over full front, A-pillars, mirrors and roof. When I got the car I thought I might buy it out at the end of the lease, so I didn't mind spending for the PPF. The car got rear ended a year ago so I didn't buy it out, but I drove a car with no paint chips for 3 years. I'm fine with that.

Next week, I'm picking up my new car and going into the lease expecting to turn it in after 3 years. So, while I may still change my mind, I am not planning on PPF for this one. We'll see how much the chips bother me this time around.
Why didn't u trade it in and make some money over the new one ? I am sure there was some equity as these cars hold value well.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 06:49 AM   #11
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Why didn't u trade it in and make some money over the new one ? I am sure there was some equity as these cars hold value well.
I leased the new car from a dealer across the country so there wasn’t really a trade-in opportunity. Also it was highly optioned and the minor accident was on the vehicle history report. These cars have good residuals so I’d expect equity at lease end to be the exception, not the norm, particularly on highly optioned cars with a CarFax pimple. I looked at used values and didn’t think it was worth the effort to try to sell it even though it will be a great car for someone else now.
      06-24-2018, 07:50 AM   #12
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Unless you are getting the dealer to do the work and it is part of the lease price, you are just wasting your money and setting up the next owner for a sweet ride.

Seriously, if pay out of pocket, it does not help residual, and while it does make your car look better, I suspect you could use that money for a nice wax job twice per year and still come out way ahead.

Don't do it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 01:06 PM   #13
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Unless you are getting the dealer to do the work and it is part of the lease price, you are just wasting your money and setting up the next owner for a sweet ride.

Seriously, if pay out of pocket, it does not help residual, and while it does make your car look better, I suspect you could use that money for a nice wax job twice per year and still come out way ahead.

Don't do it.
Can't that be said for purchases as well? Most people don't keep their cars more than 3-5 years even when buying. But 3 years is a long time and if keeping your car blemish free is a high priority than ppf is 100% worth it. It's really just another "mod" that goes on the car and loses value.
Appreciate 1
MichM412.50
      06-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #14
Duck Sauce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto M3

The financial side of me says that's it's beyond dumb to pay top dollar to PPF/coat a leased car. You're renting it.

It's not about that right now though and for the next 3 years. It's smiles per mile. Does the cost of the PPF/coating buy you less anxiety about fast pulls on the highway and easy cleanings early before cars and coffee?

My last car I was so worried about the little things that I ended up never driving it and still got a good rock ding in it. Smiles per mile man.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #15
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:

Don't do it.
Can't that be said for purchases as well? Most people don't keep their cars more than 3-5 years even when buying. But 3 years is a long time and if keeping your car blemish free is a high priority than ppf is 100% worth it. It's really just another "mod" that goes on the car and loses value.
Nope. The residual on a purchased car is based on its condition and some options. Thus, in theory, you will get more money for the car on trade or resale with the paint protection. But a leased car has a fixed residual so it is a 100% loss.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #16
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
The financial side of me says that's it's beyond dumb to pay top dollar to PPF/coat a leased car. You're renting it.

It's not about that right now though and for the next 3 years. It's smiles per mile. Does the cost of the PPF/coating buy you less anxiety about fast pulls on the highway and easy cleanings early before cars and coffee?

My last car I was so worried about the little things that I ended up never driving it and still got a good rock ding in it. Smiles per mile man.
This. What's a couple thousand for peace of mind and ease of cleaning? :
People will spend tens of thousands on mods for a leased car. Yea you can sell the mods but you don't recoup the cost of installation, removal, and depreciation of mods. Plus you risk voiding warranties.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 06:19 PM   #17
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Don't do it.
Nope. The residual on a purchased car is based on its condition and some options. Thus, in theory, you will get more money for the car on trade or resale with the paint protection. But a leased car has a fixed residual so it is a 100% loss.
This isn't something that one does for residual/resale value. It's purely for current ownership enjoyment. PPF and/or a coating is for the person that loves having a pristine car at all times. So lease or own, it's all about maintaining perfect paint and shine which is well worth it in the eyes of those who care about such things.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #18
goneloco
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Thanks guys for all the input. Seems like more yeahs than nays. I still suffer from the turn around and look at it as you walk away. So if I do end up leasing I guess it's PPF and a coating.
2003 M3 Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3 Sedan (RIP)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #19
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
This isn't something that one does for residual/resale value. It's purely for current ownership enjoyment. PPF and/or a coating is for the person that loves having a pristine car at all times. So lease or own, it's all about maintaining perfect paint and shine which is well worth it in the eyes of those who care about such things.
Disagree - you are handing over the keys after 3 years. You have just wasted your money and let's be honest, unless you are driving on the highway, and even then, only the hood would have helped, you have just wasted your money.

I've turned in PERFECT cars to BMW after 3 years - without the PPF, and got nothing more than the dealer saying "wow, I'm buying this one".

So if wasting your money (kind of reminds me of "should I lease a M2?" thread) is your style, then do it. But at the end of the day, it is just a dumb thing to do. Period.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #20
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Disagree - you are handing over the keys after 3 years. You have just wasted your money and let's be honest, unless you are driving on the highway, and even then, only the hood would have helped, you have just wasted your money.

I've turned in PERFECT cars to BMW after 3 years - without the PPF, and got nothing more than the dealer saying "wow, I'm buying this one".

So if wasting your money (kind of reminds me of "should I lease a M2?" thread) is your style, then do it. But at the end of the day, it is just a dumb thing to do. Period.
Well, buying or leasing an M is a waste of money to a lot of people. I’d say that buying or leasing an M and doing any mods at all is even dumber to most people.

Recovering more than a sliver of the original cost of PPF on a used car may be theoretically possible, but is actually a fantasy, so PPF must make sense for no one. Yet multiple companies sell tons of it because people care how their car looks when they own or lease it. Lots of stupidity, I guess.
      06-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #21
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You mean I'm saving money leasing an M3 over a 320i? If you bought any new M3, you will lose 50% of it's value in a few years. Just let people do what they want with their money. This ain't a personal finance forum lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 09:24 PM   #22
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Well, buying or leasing an M is a waste of money to a lot of people. I’d say that buying or leasing an M and doing any mods at all is even dumber to most people.

Recovering more than a sliver of the original cost of PPF on a used car may be theoretically possible, but is actually a fantasy, so PPF must make sense for no one. Yet multiple companies sell tons of it because people care how their car looks when they own or lease it. Lots of stupidity, I guess.
Once again, I disagree - your car's value after 3 years on trade or private party sale, are based on the condition of the car - and if you take care of it AND the paint is perfect, you will do better - so no fantasy at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
You mean I'm saving money leasing an M3 over a 320i? If you bought any new M3, you will lose 50% of it's value in a few years. Just let people do what they want with their money. This ain't a personal finance forum lol.
So why did the OP make the post in the first place?
Appreciate 0