Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

01-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
c0nrad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 M3  [0.00]
Wait til spring for full ceramic coating or DIY wheels?

I'm looking to get my new-ish 1000 mile M3 ceramic coated, but still have my winter wheels on. Not interested in coating the winter wheels because I may be getting rid of them.

Should I wait until spring or just do the coating now and do the wheels myself in the garage?

I assume the wheel prep work is just washing + iron remover. Then I can do a couple coats. Unless it won't apply correctly in a cold garage?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
mindspin311
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Get the car coated now. You can always bring your summer wheels to your detailer and have them coat them off the car and skip the winters.
      01-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

coat now, coat wheels later. no sense in waiting
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 05:27 AM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
You can coat the wheels later yourself

BTW, there is usually a pre-cleaner specific to the mfg. of ceramic coating you are using, in addition to regular cleaning, that ensures the surface is properly cleaned with no residue to hinder ceramic adhesion

With my wheels I use GTechniq Wheel Armor C5 Ceramic Coating. It is specifically for wheels and resists hi temps - so better to use instead of coating you would typically use on car exterior panel surfaces

> With this product you have to apply at a temperature above 5 degrees Celsius and not in direct sunlight + it needs to cure for 12hrs before getting wet (so no immediate driving anyway) - read the app instructions for your specific coating

> I clean the wheels 1st with Simple Green Pro Automotive (which is better for cutting through brake dust, rubber oxidation, road tar, etc) than regular version, followed by GTechniq Panel Wipe, then on to the coating...

> Once you have your wheels coated the 1st time, you will find that the tar that usually accumulates on inside barrel of wheel will come off completely & very easily with very little effort
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 02-12-2019 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
c0nrad93.00