proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

03-19-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Possible to repair scrape on windshield?

Has anyone had a scrape on their windshield successfully repaired? I don't have a scratch or crack, it's more like something abrasive got caught in my windshield wiper and caused a sandpaper-like scrape almost 12 inches long and up to an inch wide.

Safelite folks said they can't repair it and didn't have an F82 windshield in stock to replace. He said he thinks dealers may have a special polish for these windshields? Anyone have any luck with that or something similar?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

See:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1463835

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post19822562

OEM is expensive but is recommended because of the HUD. The windshield contains special film. That being said you will never be able to fully remove the scratches but it can be ‘masked’.

It is not covered by your insurance company? Can you post a picture of it?

I don’t about the USA but in Europe there are since recently strict rules about imperfectiond or cracks in the windshield, no matter if they are ik the field of view of the driver or not. This is true for the car’s yearly inspection but not necessarily for the police.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Tough to photograph but photo attached for reference. It's the blurry section of the windscreen just above the steering wheel.

It is insurance covered but if the repair is possible and cheaper than my insurance deductible, that's definitely how I'd want to go. It was my insurance windshield folks who said they definitely couldn't fix it, only replace if they ordered a new one. He thought maybe BMW has a way to repair instead of replace.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I don’t see scratches. If you can feel the scratches (use your fingernails) then you might need to consider having the windshield replaced. If the scratches are not so deep you can try to buff them out with a bit of patience and cerium oxide.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1353579
Appreciate 0