GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

05-23-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
Vehicle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m3

Faded steering wheel stripe

I recently picked up a '15 F80, and it has the all-alcantara wheel with the blue stripe at the top. The entire top of the stripe is worn/faded, either from the sun, or just from being touched, ie, someone drove with their hand at the top center all the time. Has anyone else seen this happen? Is there anything I can do to repair it other than sending it to codywheel or buying an entirely new wheel? I don't know, dye? Something. Not interested in buying an oem one for $1200, but I did find a knockoff on eBay for $400. Anyone have any experience with those? Much thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Yes there are ways to remedy this. I can't recall where exactly, but you can find kits online to retouch the blue stripe with a small paint brush.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Try colourlock. It’s on Amazon. I bought a BMw black one a while ago and never used it. If you want to dye it black, I’ll send you this for free if you want to pay shipping.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

it doesnt take a lot to discolor the stripe. A decent time int he sun would do it. Its notorious for fading. I never put my hands on top. Anyway, what i did mine was to make sure it was faded uniformly, before I switched over to a GTS wheel.
I use Sonax fabric leaner to clean my alcantara wheels(have sued it for years, never had a problem with any other colored stripe). Used the same stuff a little liberally on a microfiber cloth and proceeded to rub with a decent amount of force (not too much) to take off enough color so it all looks the same. In the end it started looking more sky blue, which I was fine with.

Ive tried vinyl, dye. Nothing quite looked like it wasnt tinkered with, except the method I described above.

PS- you could do the same, but I wont be responsible if you somehow manage to damage you wheel.
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 11:10 PM   #5
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

I wonder if a good interior ceramic coating on the wheel would help when it's new
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 11:14 PM   #6
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
I wonder if a good interior ceramic coating on the wheel would help when it's new
Sure will. OR just get the GTS type . Its got a stripe that wont fade. Its inside the alcantara
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      05-28-2019, 11:04 PM   #7
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
I saw a post on Instagram a while back of someone complaining about the same issue. Mine isn't as bright blue anymore, but I don't have any distinct spots. I did see the user buy a blue sharpie and color it all the same shade. Yes- EXTREMELY ghetto. But it did the job
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 11:47 PM   #8
Vehicle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m3

Great replies, much appreciated guys! I might try faded it manually so that it's at least uniform. Right now it's dark gray from the front center to the top center, only the bottom front 1/3rd is still blue, and about the same on the back (dash side). Or just wait and get one of those knock off wheels from eBay and test my luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 12:07 AM   #9
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post
This is an actual product? Other: Will include blue touch up paint
Can you link this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vehicle View Post
Great replies, much appreciated guys! I might try faded it manually so that it's at least uniform. Right now it's dark gray from the front center to the top center, only the bottom front 1/3rd is still blue, and about the same on the back (dash side). Or just wait and get one of those knock off wheels from eBay and test my luck.
Here's the link to the secret sauce: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CEF4DBG/
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 09:39 PM   #10
Samf82m4
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 6MT

Tackled this today! It's super easy with the Angelus leather paints. I cut a piece off an old belt to test with so I could get an idea on how it should be applied.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0