BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-29-2019, 02:41 AM   #1
HassanM5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

BMW wont replace rotors if pads are within spec

Purchased the extended one year maintenance plan through BMW for my 2014 M5 which expires this Tuesday. The car has ~40k miles on it and the brakes have never been replaced (pads or rotors). All rotors have a lip on them and the rear pads are completely gone. Took it in to the dealer, they replaced the engine oil, differential fluid, wiper blades, and rear pads under the maintenance plan. The front pads still have a lot of life in them so they weren't able to replace them, fine. However, the front rotors measure 34.5 mm and the minimum allowable thickness per BMW is 34.4 mm. So we're 0.1 mm away from being out of spec and they refuse to replace the front rotors. The rear rotors are 0.4 mm above the minimum spec so they also didn't replace them. I asked them why they wont replace the front rotors since they are so close to being out of spec and they said even if they are out of spec they can't replace the front rotors because the pads still have a lot of life in them. This doesn't make sense at all to me. The maintenance plan expires on Tuesday and I was planning on doing a bunch of 100-0 hard stops to shave 0.1 mm off the rotors but from what the service manager is saying, even if the rotors are out of spec they can't replace them due to the pads being ok. I don't buy this at all, does anyone here work for BMW that can chime in on this? Front rotors alone are ~$1000 and the rears are ~$800. Was hoping to get this service done to make the extended maintenance worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:10 AM   #2
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

If it doesnt show due in drive there would be no reason for them to measure rotors

When i pay they like to replace pads and rotors at same time lol

Im not suprised by there tactics i dont think there is much you can do
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

At 40k the front pads must have been changed at least once at some time in it's life. If they still won't do it then you'll just have to purchase front discs and get an indy? to fit them.Sometimes these things happen when you try to stretch out your warranty or plan.

Last edited by M5Rick; 12-29-2019 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
HassanM5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
If it doesnt show due in drive there would be no reason for them to measure rotors

When i pay they like to replace pads and rotors at same time lol

Im not suprised by there tactics i dont think there is much you can do
Read original post, rotors have already been measures. The actual measurement of the rotor would matter much more than what the computer says. The computer isn't tied to the actual rotor via a sensor. It's a value set by the service technician. For example, when I took my 328i in for service, they reset the brake interval to 90,000 miles for whatever reason. Those intervals don't mean anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
HassanM5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
At 40k the front pads must have been changed at least once at some time in it's life. If they still won't do it then you'll just have to purchase front discs and get an indy? to fit them.Sometimes these things happen when you try to stretch out your warranty or plan.
Not trying to stretch out a plan. You missed the point of the original post. My comment was that when rotors are out of spec per BMW, they wont replace them if the pads are fine. So you can go 10,000 miles on out of spec rotors and as along as your pads are fine BMW wont care.
Appreciate 0