BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-30-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
fire96
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Purchasing my first BMW M5?

I’m probably a year or 2 out from purchasing it, but I have decided I want my next car to be an M5.

I live in Chicagoland and want to know what folks experience has been using as a daily driver in the Midwest/similar conditions.

I’ve test driven a friends ‘16 and fell in love.

Do most here purchase or lease? New or used? I know used can save quite a bit of money - is CPO recommended?

If purchased new, and all recommended maintenance is performed, just how expensive will it be? Overall, how reliable is the vehicle if all recommended service is done?

How practical are these vehicles? I’ve got a dog, and I can’t imagine letting my lab ride in the BMW? I don’t even let him sit outside his kennel in my $30,000 car.
I’d like to have just 1 car.

Do most here purchase BMW warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 01:52 AM   #2
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire96 View Post
I’m probably a year or 2 out from purchasing it, but I have decided I want my next car to be an M5.

I live in Chicagoland and want to know what folks experience has been using as a daily driver in the Midwest/similar conditions.

I’ve test driven a friends ‘16 and fell in love.

Do most here purchase or lease? New or used? I know used can save quite a bit of money - is CPO recommended?

If purchased new, and all recommended maintenance is performed, just how expensive will it be? Overall, how reliable is the vehicle if all recommended service is done?

How practical are these vehicles? I’ve got a dog, and I can’t imagine letting my lab ride in the BMW? I don’t even let him sit outside his kennel in my $30,000 car.
I’d like to have just 1 car.

Do most here purchase BMW warranty?
oh boy... a year or 2 out is a long time, but hey, nice job setting a goal no doubt.

if you can afford $2k/month to buy new, then buy new and it will cost you nothing for 4years/50k miles bc of factory warranty

if buy used, of course its cheaper, but gotta buy a $5k warranty (give or take a couple grand) or sack up and buy it used without warranty and pray it has had a good life

However, forget only wanting one car. if you get an M5 and its your daily driver theres a few things you need to realize-

if new, no worries on maintenance, bmw will take care of it, and you, no matter what ...!unless you mod!
if used and u drive daily, maintenance on consumables will drain you.

however, regardless of new or used, if it is your daily driver you will find out and get driven up a wall daily about how your town's roads are trash(no matter where u live) -how everybody drives like idiots, ppl wanting to drive by you fast in their hyundai, then slow down so youll pass just to look at it from all angles(really pisses me off bc i make it clear i want space... ppl being weird.. tailgating you out of anger about their dick-shrinkage you caused, or just wanting you to get on it (which i def do)
how many damn dumptrucks there are on the roads, how nobody secures their cargo, how everyone litters, you encounter ABSOLUTE BS on weekday mornings. rat race BS baby.. and with u in chicago, avoiding salt

and lets not forget... parking.. good luck! all it takes is one oblivious single mom and her kid will kick his door open on a bodyline and youre FOOKED! (luckily i learned this crap before my m-cars

my point is, if you want an M5, do your mental health a favor and budget in a cheap toyota.
and everyone needs a truck/suv to do or haul stuff, and u def need/want one with a labrador

i had a $5k 3rd gen 4runner bought with 170k miles that did my dirty daily BS, now i have a $7k 1999 Lexus Landcruiser bought with 245k miles.. wanna guess whats wrong with it? nothing! haha. if its too cold or hot or raining or i am in a hurry,
the M5 stays in the garage and i cant imagine it being any other way.

i conserve my consumables that way and get to run sportcup2 tires since its driven less and only in favorable-perfect weather. and i only have to wash it like 5 times a year. and it feels more special and is more fun this way.. imho

ALSO, bmw warranty covers everything, aftermarket doesnt cover consumables, brakes, spark plugs, coil packs etc. and if the motor blows, the warranty will be like "we only cover 70% of labor" or similar and youll still be paying thousands out of pocket.. unless you get BMW extended warranty but then u still cant modify.

Last edited by BeachM5nster; 01-01-2020 at 02:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
Aceway454.50
      01-01-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

There's certainly pros and cons to both ways. I daily drive mine* and I am very happy with it. At minimum it's a luxury car with a great sound system (if you get B&O) and not much better post-work stress relief than dropping the hammer to pass a few slow pokes.

I highly recommend getting a good warranty. I'd mentally just include it as part of the cost of the car. And as far as parking lots, just park farther away. Not many of us who wouldn't benefit from a few extra steps.

*except the winter, for which I have a beater. The copious winter salt and hidden potholes/craters scare me too much. Your roads aren't as terrible as SE Michigan, so I think with snow tires and very regular car washes you'd be OK if you really don't want a beater.

Last edited by vafan13; 01-01-2020 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
There's certainly pros and cons to both ways. I daily drive mine* and I am very happy with it. At minimum it's a luxury car with a great sound system (if you get B&O) and not much better post-work stress relief than dropping the hammer to pass a few slow pokes.

I highly recommend getting a good warranty. I'd mentally just include it as part of the cost of the car. And as far as parking lots, just park farther away. Not many of us who wouldn't benefit from a few extra steps.

*except the winter, for which I have a beater. The copious winter salt and hidden potholes/craters scare me too much. Your roads aren't as terrible as SE Michigan, so I think with snow tires and very regular car washes you'd be OK if you really don't want a beater.
lol. u just agreed with me. you have a beater but u drive the M to work and what not as much as possible.

what's your beater? i just upgraded to a '99 lexus landcruiser. the thing is sick
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post
lol. u just agreed with me. you have a beater but u drive the M to work and what not as much as possible.

what's your beater? i just upgraded to a '99 lexus landcruiser. the thing is sick
My previous car, a 2001 Mustang Cobra, which I've had since '05. Mustang is admittedly a silly choice for a winter car, but with snow tires and some trunk weight it's more than fine where I live. Too much nostalgia to let it go, and I know it's been taken care of. Plus it lets me get my fix for a good-sounding, loud N/A V8.
Appreciate 0