BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-12-2020, 10:56 PM   #1
///M_life
Private
Rep
Drives: M6, X5

Navigation system wanted

Hey guys, should probably be posting in the member classifieds section im well aware. Ive been looking on ebay for a used Idrive display / Navigation system for my car. I tried the whole polishing trick on my scratched one and made it permanent and worse. Dont ask me...Im horrible at these DIY things sometimes..Anyone know of one in very good condition? Looking for very very little scratching on the anti-glare to non-existent. Ill post the links to two i am looking at, its hard to tell the condition of the screen. I wouldnt mind some others clicking the link and giving me their feedback based on what they see. Thanks guys!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-BMW-53...4/193291391297

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-B...MAAOSwNRJcy06R
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 04:05 AM   #2
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nsterm5 View Post
Hey guys, should probably be posting in the member classifieds section im well aware. Ive been looking on ebay for a used Idrive display / Navigation system for my car. I tried the whole polishing trick on my scratched one and made it permanent and worse. Dont ask me...Im horrible at these DIY things sometimes..Anyone know of one in very good condition? Looking for very very little scratching on the anti-glare to non-existent. Ill post the links to two i am looking at, its hard to tell the condition of the screen. I wouldnt mind some others clicking the link and giving me their feedback based on what they see. Thanks guys!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-BMW-53...4/193291391297

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-B...MAAOSwNRJcy06R
Can you post pics of how it looks now?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 05:56 AM   #3
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Just to add, you are aware that your screen will look worse during polishing before it gets better? This is due to the fact that you are removing the anti glare coating from the screen.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
Just to add, you are aware that your screen will look worse during polishing before it gets better? This is due to the fact that you are removing the anti glare coating from the screen.
Yeah man see pics attached. I did the entire polishing and got all the film off then put the new film on and i believe from using my credit card to get the bubbles out i now damaged the actual screen. There is no coating to have scratched anymore so i think the damage is permanent. Take a look at the pics..

Name:  222.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  217.1 KB

Name:  333.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  203.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah man see pics attached. I did the entire polishing and got all the film off then put the new film on and i believe from using my credit card to get the bubbles out i now damaged the actual screen. There is no coating to have scratched anymore so i think the damage is permanent. Take a look at the pics..

Attachment 2283694

Attachment 2283695
I see. That certainly doesn't look good. So the screen looked fine before you applied the protective film?

Did you try removing the new film again? Although that does look like a screen issue.

Problem now is, I believe that the navs are programmed to each individual car. I'm not sure if you can remove the actual screen from the unit to keep your original module, someone might be able to help there. Otherwise it's getting a unit with the same part number and finding someone to program it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
I see. That certainly doesn't look good. So the screen looked fine before you applied the protective film?

Did you try removing the new film again? Although that does look like a screen issue.

Problem now is, I believe that the navs are programmed to each individual car. I'm not sure if you can remove the actual screen from the unit to keep your original module, someone might be able to help there. Otherwise it's getting a unit with the same part number and finding someone to program it.
I called two BMW dealers, both said if its jsut the display/screen being replaced it should just be plug and play. If replacing the wiring and computer/module behind the screen then it would need programming which BMW does for $180.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I called two BMW dealers, both said if its jsut the display/screen being replaced it should just be plug and play. If replacing the wiring and computer/module behind the screen then it would need programming which BMW does for $180.
Yeah so you can't just switch the whole unit over, you would need to remove the screen from the nav. Again make sure your part numbers match when you purchase the new one to save you from any further issues
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah so you can't just switch the whole unit over, you would need to remove the screen from the nav. Again make sure your part numbers match when you purchase the new one to save you from any further issues
Yes, the ebay links for the ones im looking at buying is exactly what im looking to replace. Just the display. Part numbers are the exact same, even manufactured in the same month too. They came off another 2013 M5. Shop Foreman said it should be plug and play unless replacing wiring or anything else.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 01:07 PM   #9
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Should be plug and play then, as long as the head unit agrees with it without programming.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #10
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
Should be plug and play then, as long as the head unit agrees with it without programming.
I dont see why it wouldnt, exact same screen, part number etc...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #11
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I dont see why it wouldnt, exact same screen, part number etc...
Yes but sometimes units are programmed together.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:45 PM   #12
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes but sometimes units are programmed together.
I mean I guess I’ll see. Haha I called like 10 dealers to see what they said on it, all but 2 said it should be plug and play, no
Programming needing. For $325 it’s worth it to see and return if it doesn’t work, but spoke to a couple shop foreman as well and they confirmed it should just plug in and be good to go unless your upgrading systems or downgrading or switching out wiring, control modules etc.. just the display is simple plug and play. I’ll let you know though
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 07:07 PM   #13
AlisterB
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Shouldn't be an issue for just a screen only swap.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #14
///M_life
Private
Rep

So got the "new" screen in today. It came off another 2013 M5 with 20k on it. From the online pics it looked in great shape, when i opened it up it looked in even better shape. Honestly looks brand new, not a single scratch on the anti glare coating. Very pleased! Installed it on my car, it is indeed just plug and play. No coding or programming needed at all. Took me 5 minutes to install. If your watching your dollars then maybe the polishing and aftermarket films are fine but to me just searching and finding a newish oem screen is worth the money, especially on my screen since i permantely damaged it. See pic for new screen installed. Old screen pics are in above post.

Name:  IMG_8116.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  297.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8117.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  293.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #15
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So got the "new" screen in today. It came off another 2013 M5 with 20k on it. From the online pics it looked in great shape, when i opened it up it looked in even better shape. Honestly looks brand new, not a single scratch on the anti glare coating. Very pleased! Installed it on my car, it is indeed just plug and play. No coding or programming needed at all. Took me 5 minutes to install. If your watching your dollars then maybe the polishing and aftermarket films are fine but to me just searching and finding a newish oem screen is worth the money, especially on my screen since i permantely damaged it. See pic for new screen installed. Old screen pics are in above post.

Attachment 2287103

Attachment 2287104
Glad you got it sorted. Don't mistake the polish repair for an inferior job, you just got unlucky with yours unfortunately, otherwise it would have been perfect.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #16
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
Glad you got it sorted. Don't mistake the polish repair for an inferior job, you just got unlucky with yours unfortunately, otherwise it would have been perfect.
Yeah man total was $315. You can def correct the original anti-glare, getting those air bubbles out can be difficult. Constantly pulling the screen up to correct can cause the screen to eventually bend like mine. Im going to be sure to never touch my screen ever again though, this anti glare film is so sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #17
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i xDrive

This post reminded me that I needed to clean my screen. I used just a few drops of water on a microfiber cloth and very light pressure. Now I wait to make certain I didn't permanently damage the anti-glare cover lmao
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #18
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrechris View Post
This post reminded me that I needed to clean my screen. I used just a few drops of water on a microfiber cloth and very light pressure. Now I wait to make certain I didn't permanently damage the anti-glare cover lmao
Ive seen on a few post members recomending a cockpit spray to use. Just make sure you wipe horizontally, not vertical or in circles at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #19
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i xDrive

Quote:
Ive seen on a few post members recomending a cockpit spray to use. Just make sure you wipe horizontally, not vertical or in circles at all.
Well crap. I need to go check my screen now.

Ok, it looked fine. Making a note to only clean horizontally next time, haha.

Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0