M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #1
vlad_the_impaler
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5, 1989 BMW 325i

New M5 Owner

Hello everyone! I've been scrolling through the forum for a little bit while I was car searching. I think "the one" has practically fallen in my lap. I work at a Chevrolet dealership and a customer traded in their M5 for a new C8 Corvette.

It's a 2013 M5 DCT non-comp package in Sakhir Orange on Black Merino leather with 34000 miles.

VIN: WBSFV9C57DD095607

The price is right and the service records per the Carfax seem to be thorough. Regular oil changes and spark plugs replaced at around 23,000 miles. Otherwise, the car is bone-stock.

I took the car home overnight and I think I fell in love haha. Everything worked flawlessly it seemed and it didn't skip a beat. All felt nice and smooth with plenty of power on tap. I pushed all of the buttons to make sure everything worked. Active seats, heated seats, cameras, different modes, etc.

I feel like I've done a good bit of homework and research and have good history on the car to feel comfortable purchasing it, but I wanted to ask you guys what I need to be on the lookout for as common points of interest on these cars to make sure it's all in good shape.

I know about the leaky coolant lines due to the bad clamps, etc. Just wanted to see if I can get a comprehensive list of what to check for.

In the meantime, here is the listing so you guys can see the photos and info.

https://www.hendrickatlanta.com/inve...fv9c57dd095607

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #2
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

My first thought here is - don't buy a 2013. I know they're cheap and enticing right now but most of the cars I see w/ blown engines due to faulty injectors are 13's. No idea why.

Coolant lines for sure and check for service rec's. That's critical, even at 34k miles.
      08-13-2020, 08:44 PM   #3
vlad_the_impaler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
My first thought here is - don't buy a 2013. I know they're cheap and enticing right now but most of the cars I see w/ blown engines due to faulty injectors are 13's. No idea why.

Coolant lines for sure and check for service rec's. That's critical, even at 34k miles.
The service records seem to be up to date and all done at the BMW Dealer it was purchased from.

I have read about the faulty injectors, but apparently it wasn't that common to my understanding? And it was less of an issue on the later '13MY build dates. Maybe I'm just misinformed.

Did BMW also not issue an extended warranty regarding this issue for 10yrs/120k miles? If so, I'd be within that range.

I will look into it some more.

Last edited by vlad_the_impaler; 08-13-2020 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 08:53 PM   #4
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad_the_impaler View Post
The service records seem to be up to date and all done at the BMW Dealer it was purchased from.

I have read about the faulty injectors, but apparently it wasn't that common to my understanding? And it was less of an issue on the later '13MY build dates. Maybe I'm just misinformed.

I will verify the build date and look into it some more.
When I was searching for my M5, I too was looking at 13's because they're so enticing. Everyone told me to go w/ a '14 or later. I believe the injectors were changed at some point in 14 or 15. My 15 has the later model/style injectors.

Overall, I think these cars are solid when cared for. Do your oil changes max every 7k miles. Use 5w40 and use a really good quality oil and filter. In general, take care of it and it will take care of you.
      08-14-2020, 02:06 AM   #5
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Hello everyone! I've been scrolling through the forum for a little bit while I was car searching. I think "the one" has practically fallen in my lap. I work at a Chevrolet dealership and a customer traded in their M5 for a new C8 Corvette.

It's a 2013 M5 DCT non-comp package in Sakhir Orange on Black Merino leather with 34000 miles.

VIN: WBSFV9C57DD095607

The price is right and the service records per the Carfax seem to be thorough. Regular oil changes and spark plugs replaced at around 23,000 miles. Otherwise, the car is bone-stock.

I took the car home overnight and I think I fell in love haha. Everything worked flawlessly it seemed and it didn't skip a beat. All felt nice and smooth with plenty of power on tap. I pushed all of the buttons to make sure everything worked. Active seats, heated seats, cameras, different modes, etc.

I feel like I've done a good bit of homework and research and have good history on the car to feel comfortable purchasing it, but I wanted to ask you guys what I need to be on the lookout for as common points of interest on these cars to make sure it's all in good shape.

I know about the leaky coolant lines due to the bad clamps, etc. Just wanted to see if I can get a comprehensive list of what to check for.

In the meantime, here is the listing so you guys can see the photos and info.

https://www.hendrickatlanta.com/inve...fv9c57dd095607

TIA!
Car looks fine to me and the preparation work looks spot on.I've had a '13 now for 3 years and no problems as regards injectors.A lot of it is unfound from those that have the so called lci (no badge to specify them) which have eu6 injectors and the only difference is a slightly different spray pattern which has nothing to do with reliability.
If it's non-modded keep it like that as BMW are clamping down on ones that have been or are modded as regards the warranty, they can find out and warranty could be void in event of a claim. 0W30 oil is recommended in UK/Europe on these to cope with the tight rod bearing clearances on ALL models.There have been r/b failures and thicker oils don't do them any favours at start up. Comfort entry models have had problems with door handles.
Generally the more oil changes on these the better, every year or at 4-5k miles whichever comes first.
Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited by M5Rick; 08-14-2020 at 03:20 AM..
Appreciate 2
J11SEK268.00
94jedi832.00
      08-14-2020, 08:42 AM   #6
vlad_the_impaler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
When I was searching for my M5, I too was looking at 13's because they're so enticing. Everyone told me to go w/ a '14 or later. I believe the injectors were changed at some point in 14 or 15. My 15 has the later model/style injectors.

Overall, I think these cars are solid when cared for. Do your oil changes max every 7k miles. Use 5w40 and use a really good quality oil and filter. In general, take care of it and it will take care of you.
I plan to do all the preventative maintenance as required, and luckily I'm no stranger to turning wrenches. As stated below, I've read some conflicting info that the new injectors BMW came out with for the '14+MY did little to improve the reliability issue. I need to keep on reading and learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Car looks fine to me and the preparation work looks spot on.I've had a '13 now for 3 years and no problems as regards injectors.A lot of it is unfound from those that have the so called lci (no badge to specify them) which have eu6 injectors and the only difference is a slightly different spray pattern which has nothing to do with reliability.
If it's non-modded keep it like that as BMW are clamping down on ones that have been or are modded as regards the warranty, they can find out and warranty could be void in event of a claim. 0W30 oil is recommended in UK/Europe on these to cope with the tight rod bearing clearances on ALL models.There have been r/b failures and thicker oils don't do them any favours at start up. Comfort entry models have had problems with door handles.
Generally the more oil changes on these the better, every year or at 4-5k miles whichever comes first.
Good luck and enjoy!
Thanks! I plan on keeping it all stock for the time being. Luckily, my dealership certifies cars which will give me 10yr/100,000mi Powertrain Coverage(starting at 0 miles and Jan. 1 of MY) as well as 12mos/12,000mi Exclusionary coverage from date of purchase and purchase mileage. This gives me some peace of mind at least for the first year while I search for some longer coverage elsewhere.

Now, for the oil conversation... which seems to be a point of contention on every car forum ever haha. I've seen most people saying to only run 0/5w-40 and not to run anything lighter than that. Yet you told me to run what BMW recommended which is 0w-30 I believe. If running the lighter oil may help the rod bearings, what are the downsides to doing so? Oil consumption? Insufficient lubrication at high temps?

I do live in the south US where it can get to 100*F in the summer with very high humidity(yay Georgia weather).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
I plan to do all the preventative maintenance as required, and luckily I'm no stranger to turning wrenches. As stated below, I've read some conflicting info that the new injectors BMW came out with for the '14+MY did little to improve the reliability issue. I need to keep on reading and learning.

Thanks! I plan on keeping it all stock for the time being. Luckily, my dealership certifies cars which will give me 10yr/100,000mi Powertrain Coverage(starting at 0 miles and Jan. 1 of MY) as well as 12mos/12,000mi Exclusionary coverage from date of purchase and purchase mileage. This gives me some peace of mind at least for the first year while I search for some longer coverage elsewhere.

Now, for the oil conversation... which seems to be a point of contention on every car forum ever haha. I've seen most people saying to only run 0/5w-40 and not to run anything lighter than that. Yet you told me to run what BMW recommended which is 0w-30 I believe. If running the lighter oil may help the rod bearings, what are the downsides to doing so? Oil consumption? Insufficient lubrication at high temps?

I do live in the south US where it can get to 100*F in the summer with very high humidity(yay Georgia weather).
We've had up to 37C here for a week which is about 98F and the oil temp was fine just above the first digit. Some say you don't top up more on the thicker oils, but it goes that the 0-30 gets round quicker from cold than a 5-40,when most wear occurs.I use Castrol edge which do an 0-40 also that can be used and theres a lot of oil in the engine anyway around 9.5 litres at refill to keep things cool.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 09:29 AM   #8
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Living in Georgia I don't think it's going to make much difference whether you're running 0w or 5w. I believe BMW actually recommended 0w-30 or 0w-40, with 5w-30 and 5w-40 as alternatives. If choosing, though, I'd recommend a 0w-40. Personally I'm using Edge 0w-40, which is supposedly a better oil than their 5w-40, anyways. I noticed perhaps a very small MPG drop on highway going to a 40 weight, but definite reduction in oil consumption.

And as someone with the same color combo: good choice.

Last edited by vafan13; 08-14-2020 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #9
vlad_the_impaler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
We've had up to 37C here for a week which is about 98F and the oil temp was fine just above the first digit. Some say you don't top up more on the thicker oils, but it goes that the 0-30 gets round quicker from cold than a 5-40,when most wear occurs.I use Castrol edge which do an 0-40 also that can be used and theres a lot of oil in the engine anyway around 9.5 litres at refill to keep things cool.
Got it, 0W-40 sounds like the way to go then. Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
Living in Georgia I don't think it's going to make much difference whether you're running 0w or 5w. I believe BMW actually recommended 0w-30 or 0w-40, with 5w-30 and 5w-40 as alternatives. If choosing, though, I'd recommend a 0w-40. Personally I'm using Edge 0w-40, which is supposedly a better oil than their 5w-40, anyways.
Awesome, thanks for the advice. Yeah, Georgia has temperatures all over the place. up to 100F in the summer and can get fairly well below freezing in the winter. I'll look into the Edge 0W-40.

Sheesh, 9.5 liters is a ton of oil. But the motor is a beast and the oil has to make it's way around to a lot of stuff so I guess that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the advice. Yeah, Georgia has temperatures all over the place. up to 100F in the summer and can get fairly well below freezing in the winter. I'll look into the Edge 0W-40.
It might get that cold overnight, but I'm guessing the car would sit in a garage, yeah? Either way, as long as it's a *good* 0w-40, I don't see a reason to not go that route.
      08-14-2020, 10:14 AM   #11
vlad_the_impaler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
It might get that cold overnight, but I'm guessing the car would sit in a garage, yeah? Either way, as long as it's a *good* 0w-40, I don't see a reason to not go that route.
The car will be in the garage mostly, yes.

I'll probably just go with the Edge or Mobil1 0W-40 since those are the brands I've seen mentioned the most. Seen Motul a few times too.

I've been out of the BMW game for a little while, so it's a ton of new knowledge to shove in my brain haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #12
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Overall the car looks like a deal. I did notice on the Carfax some minor damage but those are common. I also noticed the radar built in (very useful). To others point here, yes the 14-16 had some changes but there is plenty of us with '13 enjoying our cars as well. Just remember to keep up on maintenance, I personally do oil changes every 3-4k miles (Liquid Moly 5w-40). The turbo coolant could be a problem but you can easily do that repair at home (its like $60 in parts for all 4 lines).
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #13
vlad_the_impaler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Overall the car looks like a deal. I did notice on the Carfax some minor damage but those are common. I also noticed the radar built in (very useful). To others point here, yes the 14-16 had some changes but there is plenty of us with '13 enjoying our cars as well. Just remember to keep up on maintenance, I personally do oil changes every 3-4k miles (Liquid Moly 5w-40). The turbo coolant could be a problem but you can easily do that repair at home (its like $60 in parts for all 4 lines).
Yeah the turbo coolant lines didn't deter me at all, seems like it's something anyone with basic know-how could do.

It did have minor damage, it looks like someone nicked the right side of the rear bumper. Would be an easy fix though for someone to take care of.

All in all, the car seems to be very stout.

I did forget to mention this, however. When the car first got traded in I took it for a spin right away. It was up to temp and as soon as I got on it, it smoked pretty heavily out of the back. I got onto it again, a little less smoke, and then it never did it again.

I was initially concerned, but I asked the PO when the last time he drove it and he told me it had been sitting for about 6 months without being driven and that he barely drove it and babied it. I didn't tell him why I was asking, just asked while making small talk.

The battery low warning was also on, which also seems plausible if it had been sitting for 6 months.

I drove it again later that same day and took it home the day after and the smoke was completely gone and hasn't happened since.

Anything to be concerned about or could it very well just have been because the car was sat for 6 months and the PO babied it?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 06:41 PM   #14
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

I wouldn't be overly concerned unless the smoke comes back. Use a very high quality fuel like Shell with V-Power and you should be good. I also live in GA and been changing my oil with Ravenol 0W/40 every 5k miles. Can help you change yours if need be. Good luck with the new ride.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 06:49 PM   #15
vlad_the_impaler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
I wouldn't be overly concerned unless the smoke comes back. Use a very high quality fuel like Shell with V-Power and you should be good. I also live in GA and been changing my oil with Ravenol 0W/40 every 5k miles. Can help you change yours if need be. Good luck with the new ride.
Thanks! I'll definitely keep an eye on it. It wasn't terribly concerning after speaking with the PO and the story all seemed at add up.

The oil change looks pretty straightforward as far as I can tell?

Drain the oil, replace the cartridge filter, prime it with oil, button it up and fill it up.

Am I missing anything there?

Also, nice to know that you're in the area! Where at if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 07:56 AM   #16
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah the turbo coolant lines didn't deter me at all, seems like it's something anyone with basic know-how could do.

It did have minor damage, it looks like someone nicked the right side of the rear bumper. Would be an easy fix though for someone to take care of.

All in all, the car seems to be very stout.

I did forget to mention this, however. When the car first got traded in I took it for a spin right away. It was up to temp and as soon as I got on it, it smoked pretty heavily out of the back. I got onto it again, a little less smoke, and then it never did it again.

I was initially concerned, but I asked the PO when the last time he drove it and he told me it had been sitting for about 6 months without being driven and that he barely drove it and babied it. I didn't tell him why I was asking, just asked while making small talk.

The battery low warning was also on, which also seems plausible if it had been sitting for 6 months.

I drove it again later that same day and took it home the day after and the smoke was completely gone and hasn't happened since.

Anything to be concerned about or could it very well just have been because the car was sat for 6 months and the PO babied it?
I don't think its much of a concern since its been sitting for 6 months. Probably just some build up finally getting out of the system. Just would want to make sure its not smoking after regular, which sounds likes its not.

Quote:
Thanks! I'll definitely keep an eye on it. It wasn't terribly concerning after speaking with the PO and the story all seemed at add up.

The oil change looks pretty straightforward as far as I can tell?

Drain the oil, replace the cartridge filter, prime it with oil, button it up and fill it up.

Am I missing anything there?

Also, nice to know that you're in the area! Where at if you don't mind me asking?
Yes, oil changes are very easy on these cars. You will need a special tool to get the oil filter housing out (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Make sure the car is sorta warmed. PS make sure you drain all the oil out first before you take the oil filter housing it. And there is no actual dipstick in these motors so after you add about 6.5 quarts (I'm pretty sure thats right) you need to run the Oil Level check program.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2020, 08:11 AM   #17
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
You should buy the car. Seems legit. Sure there's updates for the facelift cars but the 2013's are certainly not bad. The car looks clean and is well optioned.

Seems like people covered the bases on maintenance. My 2 cents, run a high quality 0w-30 or 0w-40 oil, change at an interval you're comfortable with, but don't go the BMW recommended 10k? miles. I change mine at 5k miles for what it's worth. Since the car has sat a lot and you sound like a DIY guy, I'd change the plugs again. This way you can set the gap where you want them and know that you're starting fresh with your driving habits.

I bet the car smoked a bit from a lot of idling that day and having sat for a while. Like others said, I wouldn't worry if it stopped smoking now. Probably just needed a good "Italian tune up". Another reason to change the plugs though.

At this mileage, you should probably flush the brake fluid and change the diff oil if there is no history of them being done yet.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:41 AM   #18
vlad_the_impaler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
I don't think its much of a concern since its been sitting for 6 months. Probably just some build up finally getting out of the system. Just would want to make sure its not smoking after regular, which sounds likes its not.

Yes, oil changes are very easy on these cars. You will need a special tool to get the oil filter housing out (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Make sure the car is sorta warmed. PS make sure you drain all the oil out first before you take the oil filter housing it. And there is no actual dipstick in these motors so after you add about 6.5 quarts (I'm pretty sure thats right) you need to run the Oil Level check program.
Thanks for the link! And yeah that seems like standard procedure for any oil change ever. Except the absence of a dip stick... that's strange that they wouldn't include something so simple and solely rely on electronics to monitor oil level... but, c'est la vie.

I also just stumbled on your Youtube videos and IG, quality content man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
You should buy the car. Seems legit. Sure there's updates for the facelift cars but the 2013's are certainly not bad. The car looks clean and is well optioned.

Seems like people covered the bases on maintenance. My 2 cents, run a high quality 0w-30 or 0w-40 oil, change at an interval you're comfortable with, but don't go the BMW recommended 10k? miles. I change mine at 5k miles for what it's worth. Since the car has sat a lot and you sound like a DIY guy, I'd change the plugs again. This way you can set the gap where you want them and know that you're starting fresh with your driving habits.

I bet the car smoked a bit from a lot of idling that day and having sat for a while. Like others said, I wouldn't worry if it stopped smoking now. Probably just needed a good "Italian tune up". Another reason to change the plugs though.

At this mileage, you should probably flush the brake fluid and change the diff oil if there is no history of them being done yet.

Good luck!
At this point I'm pretty much decided on the fact that I'm going to purchase it. Just waiting for it to go through the process here at the dealership! Haha

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the smoke, and after I got on it a couple times it didn't do it again. Even later that day after it had sat and cooled down pretty much all the way. So I went from worrying like crazy to it all seeming to add up.

Thank you for the tips, I have always changed my oil on any car I've ever owned at 3000-5000 miles. When I first saw the crazy intervals some manufacturers put on their cars it made me cringe a little bit. But it can't hurt to do it more often, so that's exactly what I'll be doing.

Shortly after I get the car I plan on doing an oil change, plugs, brake fluid, diff fluid, and maybe injectors as a preventative measure? Anyone feel free to chime in on the injectors if that's necessary.

The other question I have in my mind is carbon build-up. I feel like a motor such as the S63TU is very prone to have bad junk building up.

Are catch cans necessary? Does the car already have a system in place to capture all the gross blow-by? Hell, does anyone spray meth just for the sake of keeping valves and such clean?

I'll start reading up on it now, but I figured I could pick some brains while I was at it.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5722.50
      08-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #19
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

It's a well maintained and cared for vehicle. It seems like you plan on doing the same. I completely understand why not many would risk a '13, however, this one does not seem to be abused. The price is fair given the current times but not great, if it's in your budget go for it. Not many 13s go through BMW dealerships and head straight for auctions.

Also, like oil weight the make matters too. A BMW 0w30 oil is not the same as a similar weight from LM or Motul.

You should pull the trigger and there are quite a few good threads here in the Maintenance section.
      08-15-2020, 02:33 PM   #20
vlad_the_impaler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSooFast View Post
It's a well maintained and cared for vehicle. It seems like you plan on doing the same. I completely understand why not many would risk a '13, however, this one does not seem to be abused. The price is fair given the current times but not great, if it's in your budget go for it. Not many 13s go through BMW dealerships and head straight for auctions.

Also, like oil weight the make matters too. A BMW 0w30 oil is not the same as a similar weight from LM or Motul.

You should pull the trigger and there are quite a few good threads here in the Maintenance section.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind about the oil!

The price it's listed online for isn't the price I'll be buying it for. It will more than likely be closer to $32000.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5722.50
      08-15-2020, 10:28 PM   #21
A3ch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 X5 M, 14 BMW M5

Welcome. I just got my 14 M5 in May for 30k with 42 on the clock. I dont drive it all the much but so far its lived up to its reputation. I have some turner axle backs to install and oil to change. you'll have a blast
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 10:18 PM   #22
vlad_the_impaler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3ch View Post
Welcome. I just got my 14 M5 in May for 30k with 42 on the clock. I dont drive it all the much but so far its lived up to its reputation. I have some turner axle backs to install and oil to change. you'll have a blast
Thanks! I can't wait to get mine. Will probably take delivery next week. I'll be driving it quite a bit. And probably wrenching on it quite a bit as well haha.
Ickdeep5722.50