BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-05-2008, 12:04 AM   #1
camsd85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Anyone regret getting jet black?

I've always wanted a black car, but I'm deterred by the fact that it might be a maintainance nighmare. I hear horror stories about the swirl effect that shows up after awhile and how owners of these beauties have to go to the car wash at least once weekly.

Does anyone regret getting jet black so far? How often do you guys wash your car and what else do you go through to keep your car looking beautiful/swirl free?

Silver would be my next choice, and I think it looks both classy and sporty at the same time while being the easiest to keep clean. But then again the car I've had for the past 5 years is silver and I kind of would like the change.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
Chicago30
Private
Rep
Drives:

I also would like to hear if SBM is the same maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 02:50 AM   #3
M3WannaBe
Loiterer
Rep
Drives:

I've owned one black car. Never again. There's no denying that a black car looks fantastic when freshly cleaned, but black shows EVERYTHING. My next car was silver, and I've been much happier.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 03:10 AM   #4
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'm on car #4 and every single one of them has been some shade of blue. I don't know what it is about blue, but I always seem to pick it even when I think I want something else. I originally wanted SGM for the 135i, but didn't like the purple hue it has in certain light, so I went with the old standby blue.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 03:37 AM   #5
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

Any color that is considered low maintenance will have the same swirl, fine scratches, etc. if not cleaned, the only difference is that those imperfections will be more visible on black.

Personally, if my decision was simply based on keeping the paint in pristine condition, I would get black because I will more easily spot dirt and get rid of it to keep it from harming the paint. Other colors would simply hide these contaminants better or fool you into thinking that the car is still clean.

On the other hand, I've read but can't confirm that black paint is actually softer than other colors. :iono:

At any rate, whatever color you choose I suggest you keep it clean as if it were black. That way, your car not only looks clean, it actually is clean. :smile:
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 04:04 AM   #6
AlexM105
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330Ci

My Orient Blue E46, which is a very dark blue, can't stay more than 20 minutes looking clean. I hate that. My next car will be lighter, probably Alpine White.
      06-05-2008, 04:21 AM   #7
EODGUY
1Addict's Mad Bomber
Rep
Drives:

I just changed my order from JB to TiAg, because I can't afford the inevitible divorce that would come from maintaining a black car.

*Traded in*
2008 135i/TiAg/Coral/6M/Sport/Ipod/Premium Audio/Heated seats
*Picked up 16 August, gone 21 September. Good ridance.*

1975 Jeep CJ-5
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 04:45 AM   #8
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I am going JB and more than once it has crossed my mind to go TiAg because I have another vehicle that is that colour and it never looks dirty, you cant see swirls etc.

However JB + a light coloured interior is just class. IT is massive maintenance but if you enjoy detaling (as I do) then it is worth it. Plus it is good exercise haha!

Put it this way. On a silver car *I* would only need to detail perhaps once a month. A Jet Black car I would be looking to detail every fortnight. By detail I mean a full wax. Preferably with a synthetic as I find it attracts dust less and dirt does not stick as easily in general.

Also silver is a much more conservative colour for a car in my opinion. I am a conservative person, but not really when it comes to cars if I was honest with myself!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 05:02 AM   #9
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I've got a black subaru at the moment and I don't wash it too often however, looks great after each wash. I went for BSM for the 135i. I think this will be easier than JB to keep clean.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 05:36 AM   #10
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
To answer your question...nope. PITA to maintain? Some would say yes, for me, not really, however, he is an indoor pet only taken out for weekend walks.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 05:53 AM   #11
JTdrivin1
1 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

I had a JB GLI, and that was a def a pain because you could see every swirl. My last car was an AW X5, which is fantastic for low maintenance. It always looked clean.
For the1, I ended up going BSM. It seemed like everyone was going AW, and I had originally thought about JB but once I saw BSM I had to have it. So far it hasn't been too bad. It definitely doesn't show the swirls as easily as JB, and looks just as sharp (actually sharper IMO). All I've done is a weekend with Zaino, and once a week washes...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #12
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Black cars are a pain in the butt. I've had roughly 20 cars and this is only my 4th black one (one of which is my wife's current vehicle). I ordered my 135i in JB because whenever I've been out on the road and spot an exceptionally nice looking Bimmer, it's been JB.

Am I dreading cleaning it? Eh, kinda. Yes it can be time-consuming, but there's nothing more gratifying than walking out to the garage and seeing a freshly polished black car ready to go. It will inevitably get dirty, but during the nicer parts of the year when only dust is a worry, it's well worth it.

I agree with Dan203 on his feelings about blue vehicles as well (I've had several blue cars), but truly feel that no other color looks AS good as black when clean.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #13
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camsd85 View Post
Does anyone regret getting jet black so far? How often do you guys wash your car and what else do you go through to keep your car looking beautiful/swirl free?
Jet Black Rules - this car was meant to be Darth - no regrets here. Give it a complete Zaino treatment - Zaino is like putting a transparent protective shell on the car.

However - I do wash the car 4-5 times per week. It happens to be easy for me, I drive right by a wash bay in my condo parking lot. It takes 10 minutes with a wash mitt, some Simoniz car wash wax, and wheel cleaner for the brake dust. then a quick 3 minute cotton towel dry. I keep everything tucked in the trunk, so I don't have to procrastinate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 03:39 AM   #14
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Good looking car.:wink:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

I have had many autos. Every color but blue. I have owned a black GTI and a black RX7 R1. I will never own black again. Period. Perhaps I'm getting old. Or it could be I do not like dirty cars. You clean the car and by the time you change your clothes to go out, it is dirty again. You have to carry a California Duster around with you. Not me. Never again. Anything but black. JMHO
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 02:00 AM   #16
camsd85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for all the responses! So basically the consensus is that it is a pain--but it's WORTH IT(btw beautiful car Lester). I'm gonna go for it...

Now the only question is will I regret getting the 128 instead of the 135?!(dumb question!)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 02:48 AM   #17
EODGUY
1Addict's Mad Bomber
Rep
Drives:

I can't imagine you'll have as much of an issue since you live in SoCal with keeping it clean. I live in WA, and black, or any dark colors for that matter, are such a PITA because of the constant rain.

*Traded in*
2008 135i/TiAg/Coral/6M/Sport/Ipod/Premium Audio/Heated seats
*Picked up 16 August, gone 21 September. Good ridance.*

1975 Jeep CJ-5
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 05:04 AM   #18
trashcan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Jet Black Rules - this car was meant to be Darth - no regrets here. Give it a complete Zaino treatment - Zaino is like putting a transparent protective shell on the car.

However - I do wash the car 4-5 times per week. It happens to be easy for me, I drive right by a wash bay in my condo parking lot. It takes 10 minutes with a wash mitt, some Simoniz car wash wax, and wheel cleaner for the brake dust. then a quick 3 minute cotton towel dry. I keep everything tucked in the trunk, so I don't have to procrastinate.
Is this a liquid car wax? How do you get everything done in 10 minutes? Can you share any more info?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #19
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashcan View Post
Is this a liquid car wax? How do you get everything done in 10 minutes? Can you share any more info?
In my experience - The complete Zaino treatment protects the paint from swirls. It gives the paint a protective coating that repels water, sap, bird droppings and provides UV protection. It takes about 4 - 5 hours (mostly waiting between treatments for each coat to dry) and is not hard to put on or buff off. In fact it is quite easy to do. Just follow the directions. I plan to do this twice per year.

Washing the car regularly is quite easy and fast. I carry a microfiber wash mitt, some Simoniz car wash/wax, and wheel cleaner and cotton towels in the trunk. That way I don't have to avoid doing it by using the excuse of having to get the stuff out of the garage.

I start with spraying the wheels with a little Simoniz wheel cleaner. Then I cold rinse the car with the hose from top to bottom. I soak the wash mitt with water from the hose then put a tablespoon of the Simoniz car wash/wax on the mitt. I put the mitt on and starting from the top of the car, I simply use long strokes (don't rub in circular motions) to gently wipe the car down - roof, then windows, then trunk lid, then hood, then doors and fenders. Then bumpers and lower side moldings. I don't use a bucket - buckets collect dirt. I can get away with this because my car is not 'dirty' - a very dirty car will require more rinsing of the wash mitt, perhaps with a bucket.

I then rinse the car completely with the hose, followed by cleaning the wheels with a small sponge with a coarse back on it, getting in between the spokes and anywhere the brake dust has collected. I rinse off the wheels then the microfiber mitt and wheel sponge with the hose. I never put the mitt on the ground, I leave it on the hood or trunk lid.

After that it is ready for a drying with clean cotton towels, I find I usually use a couple of them. The complete washing/rinsing/drying process only takes 10-15 minutes. On the weekends I do the windows inside and out, vacuum and wipe down the seats and door panels. That takes about 20 minutes.

It is quick workout too, you get some stretching, knee bends and cardio exercise!

So all in all - about an hour and a half per week to keep my baby looking fantastic. It's worth it to me. This equals about one episode of not watching a 'Deal or no Deal' or a 'Survivor:XXXXX' re-runs.

I get sad when I read that some people only wash their car once a week or longer. What's wrong with you people?
Don't you love your cars?

Update - I timed myself this morning - 8 minutes for the wash/rinse and 4 minutes for the towel dry. I started at 8:30 am - out the driveway at 8:43 am. The same routine as always.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #20
trashcan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Thanks, printing out your post
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #21
MadisonOne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, this is my first black car, and I'm wondering if I did the right thing. I mean, fingerprints are easily seen! And I've only had the car for 3 days. Looks good when clean, but that's about for 30 minutes. Dust is easily seen.
      06-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #22
pgr135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashcan View Post
Thanks, printing out your post
Something doesn't quite seem right when you say you are printing out that post.... what with you username being trashcan.:biggrin:
Appreciate 0