BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

05-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
CeeP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Silver e92 M3

Scratch removal help

Hey folks,

There are some amazing detailers on here, and I'm hoping someone can help out this wannabe.

I gave my M3 its first thorough once over yesterday - clay (surprisingly clean already), Adam's Revive using a PC random orbital (that my wife bought me through Griots), and Adam's polishes and wax. I discovered a few very fine scratches on the roof and one deeper but not that bad scratch on the door, so I hit those with Adam's Swirl and Haze followed with some Revive...but I was unable to polish either of those away.

I tried upping the speed of the PC but that didn't seem to help. I tried going over the spots a few more times, but also didn't help. Is there some technique I'm missing? I've seen a couple pretty impressive details using Adam's, so it has to be me. From the lists a lot of you guys share, I realize I'm probably not using the most effective chemicals, but I should be able to get some of these scratches out with what I've got.

There are a lot of scratches on my wife's 530xi as well (stupid used cars!) - I've gone over it with Griot's Machine Polish 3, 2, and 1, and then with the Adam's stuff before waxing, and while it was nice a shiny, the scratches were still there. Help! What am I doing wrong? I realize it's hard to tell me why I suck at this on a forum, but I'll take any tips and hints.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
d00t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Most times when you see adams in the write-ups, it's not their polishes. They lack BIG TIME. And I'm sorry to say, but this is the number one reason you can't get the scratches out. You will need to step up to something more aggressive, especially on hard BMW clear (with the exception of carbon black). You will need at least menzerna super intensive polish (SIP) and an orange cutting pad on the PC. The next downfall is, well, the PC its self. It's great for weekend warriors who aren't chasing perfection, or great to finish up on--but if you're trying to seek perfection on a PC it's VERY difficult to do so; and quite time consuming.

If you'd like to bring it by my place, I have all the necessary tools to achieve the results you're after, and I can take a look at those few scratches you're talking about and see what we can work out--no charge as long as it's just those couple scratches bothering you .

Aaron
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
CeeP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Silver e92 M3

Thanks Aaron. That's the answer I was afraid of. I saw a vid on youtube comparing the PC with a...something I can't remember now and the PC lost, but it's what I've got. I was also hoping I wouldn't have to buy new chemicals, but I guess I was dreaming all the way around . I'd definitely like to come check out your set up sometime - where are you located? I'm in Sunnyvale.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
d00t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Yeah for sure! I can probably give you some polishes to try out too. I'm in Newark, off 880/Mowry.
Appreciate 0