BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-25-2009, 06:48 AM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Applying sealant to new paint

My 128i is supposed to arrive in Charleston today. I do not get delivery at the Performance Center until July 21, however . By then the bugs will be out significantly in SC. My drive home is about 100 miles - shorter than most - but I am thinking of taking back roads to be less boring and to help with varying the rpms for break-in purposes. That will increase the bugs.

Anyway, would it be OK for me to put a quick coat of sealant (or wax) on my new 128i right at delivery? The build finished 6/4 or 5 so the paint will be about 7 weeks old by the time I get the car. But I don't know how it is protected in transit and whether that could affect the final curing of the paint.

Options seem to be to make a bra out of painters tape for the drive home (seems like overkill to me but apparently has been done), put on a coat of sealant so the bugs will come off easily, and just wash off the bugs when I get home.

Opinions?

Jim
      06-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i DCT

If the performance center washes your car prior to turning over the keys to you, put a wax on. Then spray on something like Griot's Bug Off!. Should make it easier to wash the bugs off when you get home.
      06-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

You are going to be getting the vehicle with a considerable amount of contamination as it is. I would recommend just driving it home and washing it immediately. If you have a good degreaser to spray on the bug guts while they are fresh it should help them come off during the washing process. I like to use a variety of products such as the P21S Total Auto Wash, Poorboy's World Bug Squash of the Chemical Guys Bug Bugger. They should help remove any fresh bug smears with ease and make the washing process go that much smoother. Then when the vehicle is really clean apply the coat of sealant as soon as you can. Let me know if you have any questions or if you would like any more product recommendations. Good luck and congrats on the new car!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Appreciate 0