BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
SLO
Shane
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, RRS, LR4

Polish

I feel very comfortable with all the steps in detailing save polishing. I have a few areas that need it and I was hoping to get by with a fine polish and do it by hand. How necessary is it to machine polish? Can someone please recommend some good products? I am using Zaino sealant for the final process...not sure if that matters.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Hand applied polish really won't remove defects on the paint. You need to invest in a good polisher (Flex) and some good pads. Next, I recommend Menzerna polishes, very easy to work with and provide excellent results. Follow this with your Zaino. Hit me up with a PM if you want specifics.
      07-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Polishes need a lot of pressure and heat to be broken down and worked in to the surface. This can be done to a limited extent with hand applications. A buffer will provide significantly better results while polishing, which is the key to getting outstanding results while detailing.

The two most popular options for polishing right now are probably the Flex XC 3401 VRG or the Porter Cable 7424XP. Both of these buffers are paint safe and very easy to use for newer detailers. The PC 7424XP is slightly easier to use but has a little less cutting power. The Flex XC 3401 VRG is my buffer of choice because it's powerful yet comfortable to use. If you click on either link we have some package deals on the buffers includings pads, etc. that are a great value.

My favorite combination is the Menzerna PO83 with an orange pad followed by the Menzerna PO106FA and a white pad. It helps remove surface imperfections and restore a bright glossy finish. Let me know if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
SLO
Shane
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, RRS, LR4

Thanks Greg! I just don't know if my paint really needs something as agressive as the SIP yet. Is there much of a difference between the IP and SIP (PO91 vs PO83)?

BTW, the car is Alpine White if that makes a difference!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
odgaard
keeping cars clean
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M3

buh sometimes i can't log in to detailedimage, but po203 and po85rd would be a great two step system for your car.