BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

Tips for temporary lack of a garage

I made a comment around a guy thats familliar with detailing etc about getting a full detail when I get my place with a garage, and he said I should do it now, paint needs its protection etc.

Well, I somewhat agree... and decided I'd like to do what I need to get my car to the point I can apply a nice sealant, to my wheels as well.

I am very familliar with claybar/wax/polish etc, however I dont yet trust myself with a buffer just yet.

I am not 100% sure my car needs a polish, but would really hate to do everything else, and find out the sealant etc just amplifies minor clearcoat scratches etc.

Also, its a alpine white 135. I know there are waxes particularly well suited for white, but as far as everything else?

Should I just avoid doing the job myself as I dont know how to run a buffer PROPERLY and want to avoid effing up my paint? (btw, I'd LOVE to put the time and effort into learning... and buying proper equipment, but heard a lot of horror stories and really dont want to cause more harm to my paint.)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
If you use a "random orbital" buffer such as a Porter Cable 7424 or a Flex then it's almost impossible to screw up your paint......they simply don't create enough heat to do damage.

For a beginner, I'd start with the PC. It is less expensive than the Flex and it also has less power meaning that it is even safer for your paint. If you check out Youtube, there are plenty of videos explaining how to properly use the buffer.

Good luck!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0