BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

My paint is kind of sticky?

running my fingers across the paint on my mercedes and then my new 1 back to back, i noticed that on my mercedes my fingers slide across the finish like glass at 100mph, however, when i run my fingers across my bimmer it seems that it isnt as glassy and is kind of tacky? [not really sure how to describe it, fingers dont move as fast across it] i never got the sealants that the dealer wants to install, how should i remedy this situation?
      07-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

is the mercedes also non-metallic- I think I know the feel you're talking about and both my jet black (non-metallic) bimmers have felt the same, the metallic audis in the family and the metallic ford don't feel that way so much, so that'd be my best guess
      07-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
sawbones
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White on Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
running my fingers across the paint on my mercedes and then my new 1 back to back, i noticed that on my mercedes my fingers slide across the finish like glass at 100mph, however, when i run my fingers across my bimmer it seems that it isnt as glassy and is kind of tacky? [not really sure how to describe it, fingers dont move as fast across it] i never got the sealants that the dealer wants to install, how should i remedy this situation?
mercedes uses a ceramic based top clearcoat, it is very hard and basically is essentially a "glass" of types.

A good sealant and or wax will give your car the slippery surface you are looking for.

G
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

why would bmw not use that too then, shouldn't it be much more durable?
      07-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
EngPhys09
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 128i SRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
why would bmw not use that too then, shouldn't it be much more durable?
BMW is now using water based because of environmental concerns. You'll notice that all paint shops are going to this also. It does give just as good of a finish if done properly.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

It may just be the way the finish is. Some finishes have more of an eggshell appearance like a lot of Subaru's do. If you suspect the problem is due the surface you should be able to fix it with a clay bar and polishing. The clay bar helps remove contaminants stuck in the micro-ridges of the paint and contaminants stuck to the paint. Polishing will help remove ultra light surface imperfections to help restore a smooth feel. On new paint I would typically use a light polish like the Menzerna PO106FA or the Menzerna PO85RD.

If you would like any more information about these steps or products please let me know, I'd be happy to help you through the process.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
is the mercedes also non-metallic- I think I know the feel you're talking about and both my jet black (non-metallic) bimmers have felt the same, the metallic audis in the family and the metallic ford don't feel that way so much, so that'd be my best guess
my mercedes is jet black, my 135i is alpine white, interesting....i guess i will try a wax