BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
RaceTime
Auto X'er
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Gray 135i

Help...Clay bar and wax?

Hello! I am looking for a little help.

I did a clay bar treatment (it is awesome) and now I am wondering if I should wax the car after the clay bar? If so, what kind of wax? The car is hardly ever driven and not driven in any bad weather... I have some liquid Zymol? Use that? Hand or power buff. Sorry, I am more inclinded to racing knowledge and not detail knowledge.

Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
StuartM
Private
Guernsey
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Coupé

Hey there Racetime,
I do a fair bit of detailing to friends and families cars, so might be able to help here.
Claying will remove surface contaminants very well, like tree sap and stuck on particles, but as a side effect it also removes your wax coating. At the moment your paintwork really needs some protection.

If your paintwork is in pretty good shape, I'd give it a coat of Zaino Z2, by hand using an applicator pad, give it 30 mins then buff it off with a decent buffing cloth. It lasts a long time and gives a great finish. To really top it off and get it to look fantastic, use some Z8 and a microfibre buffing cloth.

I'm a big Zaino fan, and prefer it over Zymol which is a carnuaba based product. Zaino is a more modern product and is highly rated. I get a lot of my info from Detailing World, its full of like-minded enthusiasts who really knbow their stuff.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

HTH
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
RaceTime
Auto X'er
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Gray 135i

Thank you very much! That makes perfect sense to me! Do you know where I can get that Zaino?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
StuartM
Private
Guernsey
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Coupé

I get mine shipped from the UK, but you should be able to get something from here

http://www.zainostore.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Go to, lazaino.com You will get your order faster.
      08-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

I would definitely recommend using a sealant or wax after. Sealants offer more durable protection, while waxes have a slightly deeper gloss. I've linked our selection of sealants and waxes for you to look through. Two of my favorite sealants are Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 - 16 oz and the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - 16 oz. For waxes I highly recommend all of the Dodo Juice Waxes, Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax - 16 oz and for value the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax - 8 oz. If you would like more recommendations or advice please let me know I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0