BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Winter Preparation

Hey guys,

Since this will be my first winter with a car worth more than the detailing products I use on it, I began thinking about winter and how to care for my 1er during said season. Obviously washing and waxing during the winter is out of the question since I don't have a garage or want to get frost byte. But if there's a way to prepare my car for winter ahead of time (e.g. by sealing or waxing) then please share your tips!

I'm in Montreal so I can expect snow, ice, slush, and salt on the roads for a few months. Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraking View Post
Hey guys,

Since this will be my first winter with a car worth more than the detailing products I use on it, I began thinking about winter and how to care for my 1er during said season. Obviously washing and waxing during the winter is out of the question since I don't have a garage or want to get frost byte. But if there's a way to prepare my car for winter ahead of time (e.g. by sealing or waxing) then please share your tips!

I'm in Montreal so I can expect snow, ice, slush, and salt on the roads for a few months. Thanks for your help!
I live in upstate NY so I can somewhat relate to your weather conditions. If you don't have a garage and it's over 40 degrees you can put on a rubber glove and wash with the Optimum (OPT) No Rinse (ONR) - 32 oz. This formula allows you to wash your car with just a bucket of water. I don't use it on a heavily contaminated vehicle but it helps me get by. This formula is easy to use and works great!

For maximum protection apply a top quality sealant. Sealants will last far longer than a natural carnauba wax so they are ideal for snowy weather. Three of my favorite sealants would be the [url=http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemical-Guys-M31/Jet-Seal-109-P184/16-oz-S1/]Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 - 16 oz[/url, Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - 16 ozand the Optimum (OPT) Opti-Seal - 8 oz. All three are extremely durable during our tough winter conditions. They help repel moisture and preserve the finish. Additionally I use them on the wheels and glass for some added protection. I've noticed it makes the snow so much easier to drive in and it's easier to clean off in the morning. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0