BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
gdobson
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i coupe

Need tips on hand polish/wax to avoid swirls

Picked up my 2009 135i Space Gray and the dealer had done what I think was a hand wax prep. Looked OK. After a couple of weeks I hand washed carefully with dish detergent and microfiber cloth to try and start fresh. I wanted a simple protection for this winter then in spring do a better detail.

Carefully applied Meguiars Gold liquid wax (?mix of carnuba and synthetic polymers) with dry applicator pads. Wiped off by hand with microfiber cloths changing frequently.
The result was not bad ,not as shiny as I hoped(hazy) and under lights has fine swirl marks.

What did I do wrong I thought I was pretty gentle and careful?
Should I do a polish first then wax to protect. I did not think a brand new car needed clay.
Pro detailer may be the best. What should I ask them to do?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

gdobson,

congrats!

believe it or not a new car should can could use a

wash
clay bar
light polish
wax or sealant.

the 1's seem to have very soft paint so anything little thing can create a swirl and scratch.

take a look at some of our new car prep
http://detailersdomain.wordpress.com...m-ppf-install/
http://detailersdomain.wordpress.com...-new-car-prep/
http://detailersdomain.wordpress.com...m-ppf-install/
http://detailersdomain.wordpress.com...ep-and-3m-ppf/
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdobson View Post
Picked up my 2009 135i Space Gray and the dealer had done what I think was a hand wax prep. Looked OK. After a couple of weeks I hand washed carefully with dish detergent and microfiber cloth to try and start fresh. I wanted a simple protection for this winter then in spring do a better detail.

Carefully applied Meguiars Gold liquid wax (?mix of carnuba and synthetic polymers) with dry applicator pads. Wiped off by hand with microfiber cloths changing frequently.
The result was not bad ,not as shiny as I hoped(hazy) and under lights has fine swirl marks.

What did I do wrong I thought I was pretty gentle and careful?
Should I do a polish first then wax to protect. I did not think a brand new car needed clay.
Pro detailer may be the best. What should I ask them to do?
Congrats on the new car! You can certainly take care of this yourself but a pro can help you as well. I would almost guarantee you received the vehicle with a considerable amount of swirls to start with you probably just didn't see them in that lighting and/or some layer (i.e. glaze, sealant, wax) was hiding some of the imperfections.

Most swirls come from improper washing and drying so I would really focus on those steps. I would avoid using the dish detergent and microfiber cloth in the future. Try using a pH balanced shampoo that won't strip off the wax. Additionally a thicker wash media will help reduce friction like a DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt w/no thumb or Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge. Our detailing guide should help you ensure you are doing these steps safely. If you need to upgrade your supplies check out our DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package and our other package deals. Each product in there is paint safe and easy to use.

Even brand new vehicles come with plenty of contaminants and swirls. A clay bar and polish would definitely be a big help. Those steps are not that hard once you try them, let me know if you'd like more assistance. I've helped countless detailers get great results with these steps that may initially seem complex. After one detail you'll be amazed at how easy it is to get great results.

For the winter protection you can use the Liquid wax you have or you may want to try a more durable sealant. TheBlackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is one of my favorite options that is really durable and looks outstanding. If you prefer a more affordable option please try theChemical Guys M-Seal Pure Sealant.

If you choose to purchase these products are are offering 20% off with the coupon code (early09) through 11/16. The coupon code does not apply to sale items, packages/kits and tools. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
airs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Gray 135i

Grab a Porter Cable or Flex and some Menzerna PO106FA...does wonders.