BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i coupe

Leather care

Hi All, have done a search but didn't get the info.

I bought some Meguires leather cleaner and conditioner. I used it on my front seats on Sunday arvo. Basically just rubbed it all over the leather parts with a terry cloth, left it for 10 minutes then rubbed it off with a clean cloth.

The seats were a little sticky (not the right word, but not dry/smooth) initially after I wiped them off, but then by yesterday morning the stuff seemed to have absorbed in.

Am just wondering on how long i should let the stuff sit on the leather before cleaning it off?

Cheers
      11-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Why Knot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I've used Lexol for at least 20 years and was always pleased with the results. However, I just tired Leather Mate, a product imported from Italy by Select Marketing at
www.selectmarketing.us. Works very well and is dry in 30 seconds. My leather looks the best it ever has and is much softer.

Last edited by Why Knot; 11-19-2009 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Saddle Soap is the best leather conditioner and cleaner that you can buy.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
jabwind51
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW 130is, '97 BMW M3/4/5

Spinney Beck is really really good. Also have the BMW Leather care cleaner..it's alright.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Janus77...sounds like what you did was just fine. 10 minutes should be enough time. I use Lexol myself but have tried a few and most leve the seats a little tacky/sticky for a few hours. I have always had good results with Lexol.
The key is to just use some descent stuff on your leather every few months! Most car owners do their seats once a year...maybe twice. I do mine 6 or 8 times a year. My leather looks great. My kids were tough on the leather in my wifes last car (Infiniti G35) but the leather looked brand new at 96,000km when I traded it in.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

might look into saddle soap too for interest, however the Meguires cleaner and conditioner i used has left the seats looking really nice. Can tell there's a bit more of a glow (not shine) to the front seats compared to the rear i think, i haven't done the rears yet, will get onto them this weekend
      11-20-2009, 02:09 AM   #7
Lopster
Petrol Power!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 125i MSport, SGM/Coral, AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by janus77 View Post
thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

might look into saddle soap too for interest, however the Meguires cleaner and conditioner i used has left the seats looking really nice. Can tell there's a bit more of a glow (not shine) to the front seats compared to the rear i think, i haven't done the rears yet, will get onto them this weekend
Do seats come "treated" as it were when taken delivery brand new, or should people whack some stuff on them asap?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
BavarianMotorWorks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i xDrive

Hey guys so I have been using Zaino leather in a bottle so far. I love the smell of this stuff. It's not quite the new car/leather smell but still a very nice pleasant smell and it is not too strong either which is really nice.

It seems to clean the leather nicely and once fully absorbed into the leather the seats look really nice. The only thing I wished it did better was to make the leather softer. I feel like our leather feels really hard and I wish I could make it feel softer.

Has anyone tried the Zaino leather in a bottle and feel like it doesn't soften the leather as much? Maybe I have to try again in the summer when it gets really warm? Has someone tried the Zaino and also something else to compare?

When I was in the dealer the other day and I felt the leather in the new 135i, the ones that don't have the smooth inserts, the leather felt really soft. I don't know why this is but I want my seats to feel like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjbak View Post
Hey guys so I have been using Zaino leather in a bottle so far. I love the smell of this stuff. It's not quite the new car/leather smell but still a very nice pleasant smell and it is not too strong either which is really nice.

It seems to clean the leather nicely and once fully absorbed into the leather the seats look really nice. The only thing I wished it did better was to make the leather softer. I feel like our leather feels really hard and I wish I could make it feel softer.

Has anyone tried the Zaino leather in a bottle and feel like it doesn't soften the leather as much? Maybe I have to try again in the summer when it gets really warm? Has someone tried the Zaino and also something else to compare?

When I was in the dealer the other day and I felt the leather in the new 135i, the ones that don't have the smooth inserts, the leather felt really soft. I don't know why this is but I want my seats to feel like that.
I use the Zaino cleaner and leather in a bottle as well. It does "soften" the leather a bit, but honestly, the coral red leather I have just isn't that supple to begin with. There is, however, a big difference between the treated and untreated areas, so it's doing its job
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
jabwind51
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i have also heard zaino is really good too. gotta love the smell from a good leather cleaner...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
2AD Tanker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Black Sapphire Metallic

I used to use Meguiar's but found the Lexol cleaner and conditioner were better. The Lexol really softens the leather.
      11-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
jabwind51
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i always thought lexol made everything too shiny....?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

If you are looking to make the leather feel and looks it's best I highly recommend the Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil. It can make cardboard hard leather soft and flexible again. It won't make the surface thicker but if the leather is too stiff, dirty, etc. the Rejuvenator Oil is the product of choice. It works great on natural and synthetic leathers. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #14
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Greg, so even for a new car, the letherique rejuvenator oil will soften the leather nicely?

If the leather's softened a lot, wont it shine up easier (by shine - i mean the shine leather gets after repeated use like on the drivers seat from getting in and out)?
      11-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #15
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by janus77 View Post
Hi Greg, so even for a new car, the letherique rejuvenator oil will soften the leather nicely?

If the leather's softened a lot, wont it shine up easier (by shine - i mean the shine leather gets after repeated use like on the drivers seat from getting in and out)?
The Leatherique is great at forcing conditioners back in to the surface so it remains soft and flexible as it can be. Some materials are naturally more firm than others. If the leather is supposed to be hard it's not going to soften it up. However over time untreated leather often becomes dry and hard and Leatherique can more readily restore this kind of leather. So to your answer your question yes I think it will help soften the leather but to what extent will vary depending on the leather and condition it's in.

It won't make the leather more prone to breaking down, in fact it should be the exact opposite. It keeps the leather strong so it can flex and stretch as needed when in use. Hard leather won't stretch as easy and that is when you are more likely to get cracking and more severe problems.

You can also protect the leather with a product like the 303 Aerospace Protectant and Optimum (OPT) Protectant Plus. They help block out UV rays and preserve the leather.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #16
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Anyone tried Armor All leather wipes?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #17
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny View Post
Anyone tried Armor All leather wipes?
ArmorAll makes everything far too shiny.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #18
sullysdetailing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pickup

I would use Lexol or Wolfgang Leather cleaner and Leather conditioner.

You can read my write up on the Wolfgang products here http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...11#post6253011
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #19
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, after having used the Meguires leather cleaner and conditioner about 2 weeks ago, the leather on the front seats is definitely a little more supple than the rears (which did not have it put on).

Will do the rears sometime over the next few weeks. Had a really hot weekend last weekend, seemed to soften them more..
      11-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #20
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Warm conditions are key. I use the Griots leather conditioner and I like it. But no matter which you use, my recommendation would be to treat the seats liberally with the stuff you're using, then park the car in the sun with the windows up for a half hour or so. After that, buff the surface with a clean white cotton cloth. I find that the surface will remain tacky for a day or so and then all soak in and give the leather a nice glow. I have coral red, and as stated above, you can easily tell the difference. The leather in my vert, which is obviously subjected to much harsher conditions than the coupe, was beginning to look faded and dry. After the treatment it looks great again.

BTW- Don't forget the inserts in the doors and back and the arm rests on the doors and back sides!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #21
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
The Leatherique is great at forcing conditioners back in to the surface so it remains soft and flexible as it can be.

Greg @ DI
This stuff is fantastic. Been using it for about 6 years now and all the leather is soft, pliable, no cracks, no fades. Always smells new(ish). Best application is to massage it in wearing latex gloves and then leave the car sitting - windows up in the sun on a hot day. Cures and absorbs very well. Then rub it down with a clean microfiber cloth and enjoy....
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #22
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

i use 303 aero on my leather, anyone else?
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0