BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Thumbs up iCarbon Rear Diffuser Review

Just received my iCarbon rear diffuser in the mail and was very excited to complete the install. iCarbon provides a great video on youtube for the install

I was able to install this solo and total install time took about 10-15 minutes. First off the the package delivered by FedEx took a hell of a beating. The box was all banged up with 2 large holes on the side. I was very anxious opening the box, but thanks to iCarbon's foresight and quality packing FedEx was unable to damage the product.

As a bonus i found some sweet stickers and a t-shirt!!!

The quality of the piece was perfect. Carbon was laid beautifully the mesh grill was sturdy and painted evenly. The fit is absolutely spot-on! It looks like it came directly from BMW with how perfectly the diffuser lined up with all the clips and screw placement. There was NO fudging around to get this to fit...it was like a glove. The installed piece was very sturdy, no wiggling, or odd noises or loose areas noted at any part of the diffuser once installed.

I am EXTREMELY happy with this purchase and blown away by the quality. The wait was long, but the customer service was amazing. Chris / Andy / Mario where always available either with a phone call or an email. They where always upfront and honest with the delays etc. These guys are passionate about cars and only want to put there name behind a product that will sell it self and i have to say the DID IT!!

Really looking forward to more products!

Highly rec product and vendor!!!
      06-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

sweet! looks great!
      06-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Fsarc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3 LMB

Looks awesome! What weave did you get? Finish? That's the $899 one correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
wabbit
wabbit!
Mexico
Rep
Drives: ///1M

congratulations!!! looks nicee!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

hopefully i have 1-2 more weeks to wait, but i am hoping next week..Not wanting a glossy look i went with the dry finish similar to BMW CF Diffuser... i hope it's worth the wait!! Andy tells me it is so will see.....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
What does the back look like? On these diffusers, are they hollow in the back and in the air flow as to scoop air from the underside of the car, or is the lip covered where ass the airflow is smoothed out to keep going underneath the bottom lip...

The whole point (besides looks or quad pipes) of a diffuser is to smooth the airflow exiting the underside of the car, and if the lip scoops the air to the underside of the trunk, then its purpose is moot and its an aesthetic modification only. Can someone clarify this please?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
lookin good!

Hope to have one soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
Sidh135i
BMW Technician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

looks hot
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel135i View Post
What does the back look like? On these diffusers, are they hollow in the back and in the air flow as to scoop air from the underside of the car, or is the lip covered where ass the airflow is smoothed out to keep going underneath the bottom lip...

The whole point (besides looks or quad pipes) of a diffuser is to smooth the airflow exiting the underside of the car, and if the lip scoops the air to the underside of the trunk, then its purpose is moot and its an aesthetic modification only. Can someone clarify this please?
i can not give you any performance characteristics of the ICarbon diffuser, but the reason i ordered mine is totally for looks...It certainly makes the OEM diffuser look like a bland piece of plastic which it is...Also in my case having had installed the BMW Factory Performance Exhaust before pick up of my car i was taken back by how far the exhaust tips stick out compared to the OEM stock exhaust..ONLY to find out afterward that the BMW Performance Exhaust was designed to go with BMW CF Sports Diffuser DOH !!! So to balance my car i bought the Icarbon DRY Diffuser ...which is similar to BMW's in sheen...that is DRY...But i have to say even if i did not get the performance exhaut i would STILL buy the diffuser for looks and if it creates a better handling car by the way air moves around it than that would be a bonus....I do not drive that fast anyway for it to make much of a difference on the roads...my car is 100% road driven...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Tempting, very tempting.
      06-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
i can not give you any performance characteristics of the ICarbon diffuser, but the reason i ordered mine is totally for looks...It certainly makes the OEM diffuser look like a bland piece of plastic which it is...Also in my case having had installed the BMW Factory Performance Exhaust before pick up of my car i was taken back by how far the exhaust tips stick out compared to the OEM stock exhaust..ONLY to find out afterward that the BMW Performance Exhaust was designed to go with BMW CF Sports Diffuser DOH !!! So to balance my car i bought the Icarbon DRY Diffuser ...which is similar to BMW's in sheen...that is DRY...But i have to say even if i did not get the performance exhaut i would STILL buy the diffuser for looks and if it creates a better handling car by the way air moves around it than that would be a bonus....I do not drive that fast anyway for it to make much of a difference on the roads...my car is 100% road driven...
+ 1

This is purely for aesthetics and cosmetic reasons. You'll be hard-pressed to find any performance gains at all and it would be difficult to prove anyway. For those who put an aftermarket exhaust on their car this is a nice addition as the aftermarket tips stick out way too far with the stock diffuser and it can look quite nasty.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 01:33 AM   #12
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
That video makes it look pretty easy but something tells me its prob not easy for one person to do this..

First off, how does it come off, is there just 2 screws underneath it? Then once those are off, do the clips unclip from the inside of the diffuser or what? I mean id def wanna know so I can do the install without potentially scratching it or the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 04:51 AM   #13
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
That video makes it look pretty easy but something tells me its prob not easy for one person to do this..

First off, how does it come off, is there just 2 screws underneath it? Then once those are off, do the clips unclip from the inside of the diffuser or what? I mean id def wanna know so I can do the install without potentially scratching it or the exhaust.
Honestly, I think I can do this in 2 minutes maximum by myself. The hardest part is undoing the screws. It would probably take about 6-7 minutes the first time because you're taking it slowly and sussing out where all the clips are etc
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 07:36 AM   #14
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

It really is an easy instal. you don't even need ramps. form memory it's just a 7mm ring spanner to fit it and a thin bladed screwdriver and some masking tape to remove it. Once I had 2 of the clips undone the rest just pulled off with a little wiggle.
I also have th iCarbon Front Lip and that is awsome too. That is beeter fitted with 2 people, but I did mine on my own using a cople of clamps for my assistant.

iCarbo as a company have been great to me and always kept me up-to-date on progress and new product teasers. If I were you lot, you should start saving as there are a few bits on the way you will "have" to buy, especially if you have seen the quality in the flesh, so-to-speak
      07-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #15
pAuLoZe
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

Did you keep the BMW Performance Exhaust ? .... Your tips are awesome .... they fill up the cavity on the diffuser really well. What size are they ?
Appreciate 0