BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
got my girl new dancing shoes

can't wait to hit the track with this setup. very tight squeeze but managed to get it work with some extensive fender roll and aggressive camber. also had the M3 bushing installed and corner balanced at the same time. work done by Road Race Technologies in Dulles VA. recommend them highly. they compete in the continental tire series with their E90s. here are the details

D-Force LTW5 17x8.5 +40
BFG R1 245/40-17
3mm spacer for front
front camber/toe -2.5/-1/16
rear camber/toe -2.2/+3/16
weight 3250 lbs
Attached Images

03-12-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Looks tight, wish I could run it! Kinda lends credence to my concern/disbelief when people make over-optimistic claims they are gonna be running 265s up front.

What happened to the rear fender lip?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Awesome. Car looks like it means business.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Awesome set-up! I wish I would have went more track oriented from the jump myself.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

My new setup came on Monday. Since I am never home I've shipped it to my folks place. I went with TR motorsport wheels in 17 x 8.5 ET40 with 255/40 17 SS. I'll snap picture of the wheels/tires tonight. I've camber plates installation scheduled for next week and I'll start new thread with wheels on then.

I am not yet worthy of a full R comp tire. Maybe next year. Anyway let us know how they perform. Loving the look, very meaty.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
thanks guys. I think I should be able to break the 1G barrier with these tires. there goes the kidneys. ouch... the guys at the shop told me these tires are more like 255-265 in size. Lubo, thats a nice set up for track. I was considering the TR's and OZ's but decided to go with the LTW5 for various reasons. they are super light at 16 lbs and the tires are pretty light too at 22 lbs. so thats a lot of unsprung weight saved at each corner. on to the next mod which will be a LSD. hopefully I can allocate some discretionary funds soon otherwise looking forward to my first track event early april. happy track season everyone
      03-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
here is a shot from rear. hard to see with shadows
Attached Images

03-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep

Loving the look.

How do you like your alignment setting on the street, specifically front? I am installing my camber plates next and made appointment for alignment for that same day. I would think with 3/16" toe out car would follow every rut or imperfection in the road. I was thinking of 1/16" toe in and as much camber as possible, tire wear be damned.

I can't wait to put these on.

Last edited by Lubo; 03-12-2011 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: pictures added
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
sweet ^ make sure you take some pics when you put them on. the camber plates will make a huge difference. that and the m3 swaybar was my first mod after my first hpde. you're going to love all that grip. I have 1/16 toe-out in the front and 3/16 toe-in for the rear. been driving with this spec for a year. no excessive tire wear and drives well. no pulling either.
      03-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Very nice setup! I'll be hopefully picking track wheels and tires next winter. Going to do this summer on the stockers for now. First year here doing real track work. You doing vir in April?
      03-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
sweet ^ make sure you take some pics when you put them on. the camber plates will make a huge difference. that and the m3 swaybar was my first mod after my first hpde. you're going to love all that grip. I have 1/16 toe-out in the front and 3/16 toe-in for the rear. been driving with this spec for a year. no excessive tire wear and drives well. no pulling either.
I'll try your setting then. If needed it can always be changed
I got Front sway on order from Dan, should be here in couple of weeks. My next mod is LSD and then coilovers. Can't wait to try these first auto-x is 3/27 here, I am looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Very nice setup! I'll be hopefully picking track wheels and tires next winter. Going to do this summer on the stockers for now. First year here doing real track work. You doing vir in April?
despite what everybody says about the RFT, they have pretty decent grip and they will do nicely while you get some seat time. be prepared to jump in the mod bandwagon once you get your first event under your belt. it is very addictive and costly but well worth it. I am attending the nasa mid atlantic event at the summit point main circuit on april 9, 10. maybe ill see you at one of the events this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
I'll try your setting then. If needed it can always be changed
I got Front sway on order from Dan, should be here in couple of weeks. My next mod is LSD and then coilovers. Can't wait to try these first auto-x is 3/27 here, I am looking forward to it.
sounds like we are on the same page with the mods. which LSD are you considering? you could have saved some labor time if you had your coilovers installed at the same time as your camber plates. look forward to hearing about your track events this year. it's going to be a good year for tracking I hope
      03-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
despite what everybody says about the RFT, they have pretty decent grip and they will do nicely while you get some seat time. be prepared to jump in the mod bandwagon once you get your first event under your belt. it is very addictive and costly but well worth it. I am attending the nasa mid atlantic event at the summit point main circuit on april 9, 10. maybe ill see you at one of the events this year.

sounds like we are on the same page with the mods. which LSD are you considering? you could have saved some labor time if you had your coilovers installed at the same time as your camber plates. look forward to hearing about your track events this year. it's going to be a good year for tracking I hope
I am leaning towards wavetrack at them moment but only because it is less expensive. Unfortunately good set of coils wasn't in the budget this year, due to this guy. He sure got his taste after dad.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
aww, he is already learning to shift gear. boys will always be boys thats so cute! congrats mate.

I am torn between wavetrac and dinan but my shop tells me I should go with diffs online. apparently they custom make their diffs but its not cheap so I may go wavetrac or dinan. dinan's price is $2500 plus 3 hour for installation so that sounds reasonable compared to their other stuff. go figure. either way, can't go wrong with wavetrac or dinan. good luck with raising that young man!
      03-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
D
I've already done one event this year at VIR and looking foward to the next. Already have picked up an m3 sway bar along with SS lines and higher temp brake fluid. Keeping the stock tires b/c I see no reason to dump a perfectly good set of tires for now. I'd def love to meet up sometime and check out your setup!
      03-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #16
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I love to make it to vir this year. it's just too far. 5 hrs each way? have to get there a day earlier and stay overnight. how did you like it? can't beat summit point for its proximity to nova. only an 1.15 hrs from tysons corner. great track too. when/where is your next track day?

you will notice a substantial improvement with the m3 sway. less body roll. like I said, the RFT are pretty damn good. wear them out and move on to what Lubo got. can't beat the dunlop star specs. closest thing to an r comp that you could drive to the track with.
      03-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
@focusedintentions: The stock RFT can take more of a beating and have more grip than most people think/expect.

@Pixelblue: You didnt consider the Quaife unit?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #18
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I think the dinan unit is a rebranded quaife. I may be wrong. wavetrac seem to offer a better price point than quaife and I haven't heard anything bad about it. would prefer a os giken or diffs online custom unit but they are more costly. have to work with a limited budget unfortunately
      03-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #19
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
I think the dinan unit is a rebranded quaife. I may be wrong. wavetrac seem to offer a better price point than quaife and I haven't heard anything bad about it. would prefer a os giken or diffs online custom unit but they are more costly. have to work with a limited budget unfortunately
Well thats kinda what I was getting at. Since the DINAN is a rebranded Quaife and since there is a price markup due to the name....why wouldn't you just get a straight up Quaife instead?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #20
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I agree but hp autoworks is selling for the same price. thats why I was surprised at the dinan pricing. also was thinking having the dinan warranty would be better plus you don't need to worry about core exchange and shipping and all that jive. just drop off the car at one of their shops and be done with it. also, dinan already states 3 hrs of labor for installation which may vary from one shop to another. I've seen labor range from 3-7 hours for installation. thats a $500 swing.
      03-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #21
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
I just looked...the Wavetrac is waaaaay cheaper and that is with the differential oil....with or without the core charge.....why the big disparity in pricing I wonder?

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D773-0...ly.aspx#page=3

http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/?q=node/90
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #22
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
must be that wavetrac is fairly new and they need to compete with quaife for market share. dinan offers a better overall package because of the reasons I mentioned. don't you think?