BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Finally popped my 1's track cherry

I picked up my 135 about 3 weeks ago and have been dying to get to my local track every minute of those 3 weeks! I have a good amount of experience on the track with my old 370z, and was really looking forward to how the 135 would compare.

My setup:
- JB4 on map 5
- E93 M3 front bar
- Stock rims with Falken Azenis 615 tires (225f/245r)

The Good:
- Fantastic oil cooler! I never saw temps get even close to 300 and I was out there for about 25 minutes at a time really pushing it. I was really concerned that the car would be overheating rather quickly with the JB4 map pushing another 100 hp.
- Felt pretty good through the turns, really decent weight transfer considering how comfortable this car is to drive on the street. An upgraded sway bar is a must, any more body roll and I don't think it would inspire much confidence.
- I bought some EBC Yellow pads and a spare set of rotors, but I ended up just going on stockers. I cannot believe they held up through all the abuse. I only got a little fade, and I mean a little, after 10 really hard laps right in a row. I even kept the stock brake fluid.
- It is a lot of fun to drive. I can't wait to get the meth kit in there so I can actually feel the power for longer than 20 seconds!
- I don't think it is possible to spin this car out. The rear end doesn't kick out ever, no matter what you try. I REALLY had to try get it to.

The Bad:
- Intake temps. The car could only hit around 122 on the back straight, my Z would almost do that. The 1 has a lot more power and pulls a lot harder than the Z ever could, when it's cool out. I was splashing water on the intercooler inbetween runs and it helped a lot that first lap, but quickly it would be robbed of power as temps went up. I really need to get a water sprayer and my meth kit installed.
- The suspension. The car didn't feel too bad, but this is a major weak point. I think some coilovers would make this thing a dream. Honestly, it is a car made for comfort and this is a VERY fixable problem.
- Understeer!

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the car. I really feel like you could buy one off the showroom floor, take it to the track, and have a lot of fun. The Z was frustrating because it absolutely needed a few things before you could track it. I have to say, I am very impressed. If I do end up getting some coilovers it is going to kill!!

Can't wait to get meth installed and take it back!!

Best lap times comparison:
370z (332 bhp, stock sways, R-Comps, HP+ pads) - 1:50.7
370z (~355 bhp, hotchkis sways, R-Comps, HP+ pads, high flow cats, stillen exhaust) - 1:46.5

135i (300 bhp, M3 front sway, street tires) - 1:57.4
135i (~370 bhp, 91 octane, JB4 map 5, M3 front sway, street tires) - 1:53.1

For the 1, I said 300 or 400 hp based on the JB...but I would be quite surprised if it was within even 40hp of that. It did not pull very hard at all due to intake temps and 91 octane. That was all the gas station near the track had and the track hadnt gotten 100 in for the season yet

Last edited by ScarecrowBoat; 04-22-2011 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything in my garage

Garage List
Bring it out and have some fun.
http://www.bmwia.org/longest-day-driving-school/
Hang out with the rest of the BMW guys in the area.
      04-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Frampton
i miss boost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Mercedes C63 AMG P30

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
the understeer is from the m3 bar up front!

i had the same issues on Friday with the understeer, a lot more confident going into the turns, no confidence on making it out of the turns faster though

the car bone stock had a LOT less understeer but felt like the car was riding on the two wheels as far as body roll is concerned

next up for me is a rear m3 bar...
      04-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Bring it out and have some fun.
http://www.bmwia.org/longest-day-driving-school/
Hang out with the rest of the BMW guys in the area.
I'd love to...will probably be there if the schedule pans out!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frampton View Post
the understeer is from the m3 bar up front!

i had the same issues on Friday with the understeer, a lot more confident going into the turns, no confidence on making it out of the turns faster though

the car bone stock had a LOT less understeer but felt like the car was riding on the two wheels as far as body roll is concerned

next up for me is a rear m3 bar...
I had a hard time deciding whether or not to put the M3 bar up front, but decided to do it. The car may have some more understeer now BUT it is much more stable and has a lot less roll, which is the lesser of two evils in my opinion. I'm doing a rear one too, and probably some coilovers soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Frampton
i miss boost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Mercedes C63 AMG P30

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
i would agree that the heavy understeer is better than the car feeling like an suv.

post something up after the rear bar, im going to do the same and see if it brings it to a happy place. which bar are you going with in the back?
      04-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frampton View Post
i would agree that the heavy understeer is better than the car feeling like an suv.

post something up after the rear bar, im going to do the same and see if it brings it to a happy place. which bar are you going with in the back?
Not sure yet...is the M3 rear bar a direct b-on too? I want something REALLY stiff and/or adjustable, I hate not being able to rotate the rear when I want.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Bigger front tire will help fix the understeer. 225's are puny!

No problem with the M3 bar up front. Just need to get more front mechanical grip ala tires. We run a pretty crazy front sway bar.

I would stay away from a rear sway bar until you get more front grip. Yes, a stiffer rear bar will induce oversteer but you really don't want oversteer. Powerslides make slow lap times
Appreciate 0