BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
e82n54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i 6MT Alpine White

Racing / Driving Simulator

Does anyone use a driving simulator?

At my last performance driving school event I asked my instructor how he learned to drive/race. He said he's been racing ever since Gran Turismo came out on Playstation and that's where he learned and developed most of his skills. I realized that I have that game and the Logitech wheel with the shifter and pedals (including clutch) so I dusted it off and gave it a try. I was pretty impressed at what this game can do. It seems to be an actual car simulator more than a racing game, which has allowed me to practice what I learned at my last event. In the game I drive an '07 135i and tuned it to match my car's settings and it drives just like my car!! I realized this would allow me to test the limits and maybe even learn how to save the car when it all goes wrong. Just changing the tires makes the car behave very differently, which is very helpful for practicing under different conditions. As funny as it sounds I think this video game is actually improving my driving abilities. Now that I think about it F1 drivers also use racing simulators to practice and learn the track layouts. So I thought I would share this idea with you guys. Do any of you use a simulator to practice?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #2
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

I'll use a simulator to familiarize myself with track layouts when I'm heading to a new track, so I can focus more on fine-tuning then on memorizing the track.

I'll also practice good habits over and over, like being smooth with all inputs. You can practice recovery and get the basics down, sure, you just won't get the "feel" involved as in real life (aside from force feedback).

Real track time is invaluable, but if simulators weren't helpful, pros wouldn't bother with them!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

sims like iRacing and the lot take some of the challenge out of learning a new track. Use them to help you learn the layout and work on your line before you even get out there.

That way you have more fun at the actual track.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

It absolutely does work. I definitely learned how to drive on the old NASCAR Racing sims by Papyrus/Sierra. It taught me how to find the right line, to be smooth, etc. I've been fast since my first autocross run and I credit the sims for that.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
spk74
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

My experience is limited to the console games (Gran Turismo and Forza). I have been a fan of GT from the beginning, and think it is superior when combined with their wheel , compared to Forza with the Xbox wheel. I have both wheels, but rarely use them.

Typically I just use the controller, and Forza's physics seem more realistic to me...probably because the longer-travel analog triggers make for much more enjoyable gaming than the more-digital PS equivalent.

I got Forza 4 yesterday...and I actually enjoyed the in-car view for the first time. Your view rotates slightly to face apexes, and they visually simulate braking and accelerating like your body/head are being thrust slightly forward and backward, respectively.

IMO, the primary downside on the console games is that they don't have most of the tracks I go to in real life. Hopefully they'll spend less time developing fantasy tracks and start adding more real tracks (Mid-Ohio, VIR, Watkins Glen, etc.).
98 M3/4 [SOLD]
Appreciate 0