BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Swadeness
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Finally made it to Germany!

Well as of Thursday I'm stationed in Germany. Its nice to finally be here and get started on getting settled. The scenery around here is amazing, I'm gonna love this place. I've been riding around some of the back roads and through the villages and this is a drivers paradise. My 135 made it here before I did but unfortunatly I can't get my license and car till Tues. It sucks seeing it sit there on the other side of the fence. A couple of questions I have now that I am here.

-What are my options on installing my front plate? I know its required but are there certain mounts that are lowerer profile or look better than otheres?

-Cell phones. T Mobile looks to be the only option on base, are there better options off base? I'll be getting a smart phone so will need data/texting plans etc.

-Any advice on areas or properties I should checkout to find a nice place in the Spang area? The list I got from the housing ofice is huge so I'm trying to get it narrowed down a bit. Here is what I'm looking for.
- 1-3 Bedroom. I'm single so I'm willing to sacrafice size for something really nice
- recently remodeld or new build. Tile/wood floors, upgrades etc.
- Fast internet
- A garage is a must, preferably with enough room to do a bit of maint. and have a work bench and tools.
- walking distance to some bars, restraunts, shops etc would be a big bonus
- I'm willing to drive a bit to/from work so lets say 30min or so from Spangdhalem

As always thanks guys for any help. I look forward to meeting some of you at an upcoming meet.

Thanks
Wade
      10-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Wade...welcome.....glad you made it even if you didn't bring a printer ;-)

Check out the plate system I made from scrap stuff at the Obi or Home Depot type of store.....I drove around with my front plate in my windshield for better part of two weeks until I built this rig....I'm going to do the same thing with my 1M.

For a photo...go to www.Estripes.com and visit the Europe Classifieds » Autos for Sale - Germany...look for BMWs and sort by price...mine's for sale at $36500. I see three for sale...bummer.

Again, welcome and talk to you soon.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Swadeness
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Rick,

That looks like a slick setup, no holes would be sweet. Any details on what you used to make it? If I remember correctly are there pre drilled holes/slats on the underside where you attached the bracket? Hmmm I wonder if they will let me get away with putting my plate in the window until I can rig something similiar up. Maybe I could buy yours? Anyways good luck with the sale, I'll put in a good word for anybody looking for a clean 135.

Wade
      10-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
I have the one that goes off the towhook hole from Gomini.com. It's on my sigpic. I also don't have any holes on my bumper. Mine has 6 small strips of 2 sided tape you can get at any hardware store called Tesa. It is SUPER strong and your plate will not fly away at all. Tested and proven at 170+ MPH.

Whatever you do......AVOID TKS!!!!! They are masters at ripping you off. My opinion is based on personal experience. I haev my house and cell service through Telecom and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. They have great plans for both Net surfing and texting.

Most internet is DSL and depending on the area it can be fast or regular. There are alot of options there.

Start now to get ready for the Stelvio trip!!!!! If you have any questions on anything let me know and welcome. Also make sure you have winter tires on if you haven't done so yet.

Nick
      10-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swadeness View Post
Rick,

That looks like a slick setup, no holes would be sweet. Any details on what you used to make it? If I remember correctly are there pre drilled holes/slats on the underside where you attached the bracket? Hmmm I wonder if they will let me get away with putting my plate in the window until I can rig something similiar up. Maybe I could buy yours? Anyways good luck with the sale, I'll put in a good word for anybody looking for a clean 135.

Wade
Yes the bumper has holes but they are slots that secure the US license plate frame...as you can see, I had to drill a couple of holes per side.

I built it from stuff I bought at the german hardware store...

Here are a couple of in-process photos..with a hacksaw it took about 2 hours...version two will be easier as I've already done it once.

Basically took three types of metals...a thin slice about 4" long by 1/8" thick for the license frame support, a square-tubed aluminum piece cut at an angle, and a "U" shaped aluminum piece. Got stainless steel bolts, I think 6 or 8mm with stainless steel nuts and washers.

Questions...just ask.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
Swadeness
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Nick,

Thanks for the tip on TKS, once I get my license and can get off base I'll see what other deals I can find. Does your cell service req you to have a local bank?

I'm going to consider that plate mount. I got the Blizzaks installed before I shipped the car so I'm g2g. But rather than try and drive the 135 in the snow I'm just going to by a daily driver.

Rick,

Those pics helped alot, it doesn't look like there's much to it. Where did you get the plastic mount part?

thanks
Wade
      10-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Nick,

Thanks for the tip on TKS, once I get my license and can get off base I'll see what other deals I can find. Does your cell service req you to have a local bank?

I'm going to consider that plate mount. I got the Blizzaks installed before I shipped the car so I'm g2g. But rather than try and drive the 135 in the snow I'm just going to by a daily driver.

Rick,

Those pics helped alot, it doesn't look like there's much to it. Where did you get the plastic mount part?

thanks
Wade

You can pickup the euro tag holder from MCS/BMW Zentrum. Or even on-base from the Car Care Center.

For hardware you can go to any German hardware store. Places like: OBI, Horbach, Praktica, Toom, Marktkauf BauMarkt, ect. Any of those places have really decent fasteners/hardware sections.

Btw... one guy here from Munich used some strong magnets on teh back of his EU tag... and just put a piece of metal behind the inside of his front bumper. It works great. Thats another idea for you.

Did you buy a first air kit and warning triangle for your car? Do it now(!) while you remember. The worst thing you want to do is piss off the guy inspecting your ride on base.

As for a German bank account... most of the military banks on post have EU/German wire services. That is how I pay all my German bills - online thru their EU billing. You can also check your local credit union bank. You can do it each month manually(paying your bills) or set it up to automatically debit your checking account each month.

I would go to a Saturn or MediaMarkt to look at some cell phone plans. Saturn.de has an online site too.

Dackel

PS: welcome to the neighborhood!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

thanks
Wade
I specifically didn't want any "pentagon military sales.com" license frames so I had a friend of mine pick some up as a German BMW dealership in Mainz...though any jihadist that loves BMWs will know the difference between euro lights and USA lights....I'm hoping they don't know the difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Another member up here in Mainz/Wiesbaden? Nice!

I have cell and DSL from O2. I had to have a local bank account and some activity on the account before they would give me a cell plan. And I had already purchased my phone outright.

Everything here is a process. Most things will require 2 or 3 tries. Just accept it and move on...
      10-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Just re-read your post: Spang area. :-/
      11-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #11
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

Yeah no TKS you can usually get service direct from T-moblie DE
I double side taped my plate...can't get any more stealthy than that...
Not sure about the housing up your way but a garage is a must to do work, it's not legal to do it on the street etc. Altough you'll be lucky to get a garage thats any more bigger than your call.
Fast internet go luck....mines slower than 96% of germany according to speedtest....friggin DSL crap.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #12
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

Oh yeah...haha...welcome!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
Swadeness
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Thanks for all the welcomes guys.

Well I got to pick up the car today. The seats had a couple of mudy smudges but for the most part it looks like it made the trip unharmed. She is filthy though so I need to get her cleaned up to be sure. Where can I legally hand wash a car here? I'm not sure I want to use the voucher for a free hand wash the VPC gave me. I'd rather do it myself. I was thinking of going down to Bitburg base and using the water there to fill up some buckets and use the two bucket method......am I allowed to do that?

Other than that I need to get an Esso card so I can get some fuel because I'm just over an 1/8th of a tank. Along with that I've got to search for a thread on here that broke had all the info on the fuel grades in Germany.

Thanks
Wade
      11-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #14
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

Wade,

You can wash your car at the Autohobby shop on base. I used to spend hours there.
Start looking for a second car/beater for winter as they will throw tons of salt on the roads.
Use the Service Credit Union on base as they have the Euro bill pay set up for only $1. But consider USAA for everything else. Especially car insurance as they were awesome with me and they will cover you even when you get on the Nurbergring which by the way is only ~40minutes away from Spang.

I miss the hell out of that place. When you get a chance hook up with the European 1ers group and they'll show you some roads....just a super cool group. Link: http://www.1erforum.de/
They usually meet in Luxembourg...oh yeah, enjoy the Utopolis Cinema.
Damn, I'm starting to hate you.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 04:37 AM   #15
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
Normaly there are strong TÜV rules for mounting the Front plates.... It have to Be centered and xx cm from the Ground. Every other mounting Place had to Be TÜV approofed ...

*Edit* Welcome to Germany
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

The only legal place outside of a wash rack you can use is a private driveway. Even this has stipulations or if your like me an ignorant Landlord who lives next door...who by the way I ignore now. Esso card is no prob, go to the BX/shopette but I imagine you should have it by now. We do get away with not having to follow all the TUV requirements.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #17
Babyjoe1973
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

Where are you located?

Regards
Babyjoe
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #18
135i OREO
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Welcome Wade! I'm in Spang if you need anything. I've been here for 2 years so I can help you with anything you might need.

BTW, I am new to this forum. I have a 2005 Z4 and just bought my 135i on Friday so I too am looking forward to meeting all of you guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
ATMs

1. If you live off base ask your landlord if you can deposit cash directly into his account at the local branch office. Go to the ATM (OFF BASE) withdraw your Euro & deposit it directly into his account. Use USAA or Capitol One (no foreign transaction fee) for the best rates on foreign transaction fees.

Why? you may ask? The military banks do not offer the same exchange rate that you can get off base. This one or two point difference each month can add up to thousands of dollars over the course of a normal 36 month tour.

Off Post ATM 2360 Euro = 3261.00 USD
On Post ATM/Bank 2360 = 3338.00 USD

The difference today is 77 dollars or 924 dollars over the course of the year.

Wilkomen!
      11-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #20
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
You want to live in Trier. As close to the Zentrum (center) as possible. It's gotta be the baddest place to live for bars, food etc. It's about 30 mins if your slow (winter). PLUS L46 (the back road) is the baddest little stretch of road around.

Use double sided automotive tape (red 3M) you can buy it @ HELA Markt in Bitburg (front row to the right as you face the back from the registers.) It comes off perfectly but holds like a gorilla. Ran my plate for 2 years like that.

Damn I can't wait to get back!

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #21
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Also check out Spangyardsales.com or ramsteinyardsales.com for good deals on stuff you might need (220v appliances, tv decoders etc.)

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #22
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep

Garage List
How did the double sided tape come off and did it leave any stains or marks on your bumper?
Appreciate 0