BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-01-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
Ser1es
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i ///M Sport

How do I stop my leather from looking shinny?

Hey I really liked how the leather in the car was like a nice dull finish. I'm assuming it's due to use but my driver side seat is starting to look a bit shinny. How do I stop this from happening and what can I do to prevent it? Thanks guys
      03-01-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Shiny Surface – OEM leather upholstery should have a matte look. If dirt and / or grit are allowed to remain on the surface it will abrade the surface and make it ‘shiny’, eventually causing the leather to split along the crease lines, dirt in these crease lines also makes the surface appearance appear worse than it is, especially on light coloured finished leather. So keeping the finished leather surface clean is very important. If the finished leather has become excessive the pigmentation and / or the urethane can be renovated

Vacuum to remove any loose dust / dirt and then wipe with a damp 100% cotton micro fibre towel. Periodically clean using Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger' is an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner that contains anti-static and produces a matte satin finish.

Spray surfaces with 1z einszett Plastik Reiniger. Work the cleaning solution into seams, edges and seat backs using a sponge or a 100% cotton micro fibre towel. If necessary, use an old toothbrush to get into the small crevices.

For vinyl trim and automotive upholstery it removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore the original texture and resiliency; use to clean all pigmented and clear aqueous (water- based) acrylic urethane covered automotive upholstery; this product is biodegradable, formalin-free and environmentally friendly.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

In short, wear will cause some shine, but the majority of what you may be looking at is from grime build up. Gentle cleaning with something like Leather Master Soft Cleaner or Leatherique Prestine Clean should help it. After cleaning, I'd recommend Leather Master Protection Cream which will act as a sacrificial barrier against future grime build up.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
BFD99
The Stig!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Love the sig quote ser1es! hahahaha
      03-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I bought the leather masters kit last week (delivered the next day, which is unreal) and it worked quite well. I will do it again when it gets a bit warmer.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

For leather cleaning simple soap cleaning is the best. In short clean it like your own skin no aggressive cleaning. And no cream this is dead skin. So just keep it clean.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
jgoldsmith729
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

In my opinion, these all miss the key step, USING A HORSEHAIR BRUSH, or soft brush.

I've cleaned leather 100's of times and using a microfiber towel, especially on the steering wheel / high-traffic areas, does not have the potential to remove the shiny look. My product of choice is Zaino, but the steps are as follows:

1) Cover dashboard with towel
2) Spray Zaino Cleaner on wheel and on hairhair/soft bristle brush (small brush works to get in and around the wheel)
3) Scrub, section by section, cleaning the brush as needed.
4) Softly wipe with dry towel and repeat if still dirty
5) Condition

This is idiot proof I swear.
Appreciate 0