BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
GJA003
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 COUPE

GJA003 Introduction.

It's been a long wait to get hold of my first car and countless saving and i'm pretty pleased with what i ended up with not the fastest of cars but can't win everything.

I started off on the look for a E30 few years ago then made my way up the E46 but had no luck in finding one so in the end i ended up with...

It's a 120i M-Sport with pretty much every option iDrive Park assist ect.

Since owning it i have gathered a list of to do's.
-Unique Floor mats (Done Thanks to jezza)
-ZHP Gearknob
-Restore brakes (Done Oem silver)
-Restore horrible gutter rash and flaking (Done)
-M-tech steering wheel trim
-E90 style shark fin
-Chrome Amber bulbs (Done)
-Return paint work back to new
-Led Interior lights
-Xenon white exterior theme (Done)
-Alpine system (Done)

Not the craziest of things to do but just enough to make it presentable to its past glory.

Would love if anyone could mention some future mods to look into i have the following possibly planned...
- BMW performance exhaust
- Upgrade to beilstein suspension
- Xenon Retrofit
- LCI Black line edition tail lights

Last edited by GJA003; 08-12-2013 at 06:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Congrats on your ride .
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
rayz
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 323

Welcome mate and congrats on your new ride!

Did you do the brake calipers yourself or you had it done somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
GJA003
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayz View Post
Welcome mate and congrats on your new ride!

Did you do the brake calipers yourself or you had it done somewhere?
Yeah did it my self with a good mate took about 2 hours each proper cleaning and 3 coats of Paint we did calipers and rotors looks like new I'll add some photos of before and after if you want.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Alpine upgrade isn't worth it IMO. I would want some focal or MB quartz, leaving it stock so I don't bastardize it.

Check out the bilstein b12 pro kit.

The PE won't do much for performance, only noise. Pass.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Welcome and congrats on a beemer while on your L!

I send you a PM btw.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
GJA003
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
Alpine upgrade isn't worth it IMO. I would want some focal or MB quartz, leaving it stock so I don't bastardize it.

Check out the bilstein b12 pro kit.

The PE won't do much for performance, only noise. Pass.
Fair enough i've noticed the right hand door speaker seems to ready to let go bit of rattle with the more bass only reason im looking to do it as and uncle with a 130i never fitted it so might purchase it off him as well as a couple other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Welcome and congrats on a beemer while on your L!

I send you a PM btw.
Thanks man i'm counting down the days until 18 now booked the test for my birthday and passed the hazards so not long to go now

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJA003 View Post

Would love if anyone could mention some future mods to look into i have the following possibly planned...
- 130i BMW performance exhaust
- Upgrade to beilstein suspension
- OEM Alpine HiFi upgrade
Welcome mate, good job on planning some nice subtle touches to restore your car to new.

As for the mods you've planned above, why the 130i PE? Not sure if that fits your car and even if it did it'd sound horrible since it's not designed for the 120i. There is a PE available for the N46 2.0L (plenty of the boys with 320i's have it) and it sounds amazing, that should be something you should look into.

Any particular reason you want Bilsteins? I'm assuming you're looking at coilovers? Or are you looking for a cheap spring/shock combo? Just keep in mind coilovers are a big spend >$1,500.

I agree with the Alpine upgrade not being worth it, I think SBC should chime in about his own Alpine experience

Also there's a Hazard perception test for red Ps now? I thought it was just the driving test and hazard comes during green Ps.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
GJA003
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Welcome mate, good job on planning some nice subtle touches to restore your car to new.

As for the mods you've planned above, why the 130i PE? Not sure if that fits your car and even if it did it'd sound horrible since it's not designed for the 120i. There is a PE available for the N46 2.0L (plenty of the boys with 320i's have it) and it sounds amazing, that should be something you should look into.

Any particular reason you want Bilsteins? I'm assuming you're looking at coilovers? Or are you looking for a cheap spring/shock combo? Just keep in mind coilovers are a big spend >$1,500.

I agree with the Alpine upgrade not being worth it, I think SBC should chime in about his own Alpine experience

Also there's a Hazard perception test for red Ps now? I thought it was just the driving test and hazard comes during green Ps.
Well the only reason i have the following planned was because i have access to these parts from a 130i still new at below cost. Won't be going for the coilovers as much as i would like too as my father will object to this as it could be an issue with the Insurance same thing with the exhaust but i'll be trying to get away with that one . Could you PM me with the exhaust you mentioned. Also yeah you have to do your hazards before you can go for the Red P's test. For the greens i think its just at the age for Greens you become one don't have to go back or anything.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Well the only reason i have the following planned was because i have access to these parts from a 130i still new at below cost. Won't be going for the coilovers as much as i would like too as my father will object to this as it could be an issue with the Insurance same thing with the exhaust but i'll be trying to get away with that one . Could you PM me with the exhaust you mentioned. Also yeah you have to do your hazards before you can go for the Red P's test. For the greens i think its just at the age for Greens you become one don't have to go back or anything.
http://dev.store.bmw-mini-mania.com/...lencer-system/

i think thats the N46 performance exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I don't see how exhaust could be an insurance issue other than them not paying out for it if you accidentally backed into someone and damaged it. Even if someone rear ended you their insurance would most likely pay to replace your exhaust.

I don't think insurance companies distinguish between coilovers or aftermarket shock/springs, either way if they refuse to honour your claim then they're going to refuse it regardless.

The link Rey put up seems right. It's just a muffler for the 120i I believe, very easy to install and sounds great.

I got my greens back in 2008, and it had the I needed to do the HPT. You can't automatically get greens when you reach 18. Unless they bundled it into the reds test now.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I don't see how exhaust could be an insurance issue other than them not paying out for it if you accidentally backed into someone and damaged it. Even if someone rear ended you their insurance would most likely pay to replace your exhaust.

I don't think insurance companies distinguish between coilovers or aftermarket shock/springs, either way if they refuse to honour your claim then they're going to refuse it regardless.

The link Rey put up seems right. It's just a muffler for the 120i I believe, very easy to install and sounds great.

I got my greens back in 2008, and it had the I needed to do the HPT. You can't automatically get greens when you reach 18. Unless they bundled it into the reds test now.
Just go to a mod friendly insurance company like Shannon.

ps. Jeff omg you are only 22 you young prick
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Just go to a mod friendly insurance company like Shannon.

ps. Jeff omg you are only 22 you young prick
That's assuming I got my greens as soon as I turned 18

Shannons is good. How bout justcar? They're apparently mod friendly but I've never had experience with them.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
GJA003
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Cars insurance is AAMI i think i will be able to get away with the slightly larger wheels and exhaust as its oem BMW so i can say thats how i bought the car. As for the Green P's im pretty sure in Melbourne that once you turn 19 its an automatic upgrade to the Green's.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #15
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Fark'n youngin's all this P talk when I was a boy we didn't have P's, shit when Joe was a boy the alphabet stopped at O. :O
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
That's assuming I got my greens as soon as I turned 18
Dude you are asian, we Asians drive at 16 with our fake license

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Fark'n youngin's all this P talk when I was a boy we didn't have P's, shit when Joe was a boy the alphabet stopped at O. :O
was my parents even alive when Joe was a boy!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #17
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
was my parents even alive when Joe was a boy!
If they were they can tell you first hand about Jesus
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
If they were they can tell you first hand about Jesus
lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #19
vans
Tyrepower North Melbourne
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #20
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Cars insurance is AAMI i think i will be able to get away with the slightly larger wheels and exhaust as its oem BMW so i can say thats how i bought the car. As for the Green P's im pretty sure in Melbourne that once you turn 19 its an automatic upgrade to the Green's.
You should be fine as the exhaust is OEM BMW so yes they can just say the car came like that.

Quote:
Mate we can't have this forum populated by pensioners

Quote:
Dude you are asian, we Asians drive at 16 with our fake license
Damn you got me there.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #21
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Congratulations. 130i remains to have the best non-M straight 6 BMW ever produced.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 02:21 AM   #22
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:

these are sub 1k landed, and better than most if not all cheap 'coilovers' for a street car. http://www.bilstein.de/en-uk/product...2-pro-kit.html
Appreciate 0