BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

Exhaust Question - Louder on Low End / Cruising

I just got an E93 (traded up from an E46 M3 Convertible) and I'm finding the car too quiet under 3k RPMs. I definitely don't want anything too loud - if I spend any money on this type of mod it will strictly be for the purpose of hearing more of the exhaust when my roof is up at cruising speeds or low end driving. The car sounds GREAT with the roof down but I obviously drive it with the roof up as well. I'm not looking to increase performance - just spend a little $$ to make the car a little more involving at the low end. And I'm not looking to attract any attention - this is strictly for my own driving pleasure

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for something that would increase the lower RPM sound without being very loud in general? I have read a lot of very positive reviews of the M Performance Exhaust but it's not clear that it will be much louder than the stock exhaust at the low end?

Also, it's worth noting that my hope is to spend $4k or less (as little $$ as possible!), both due to budget and because my car is leased. I like the idea that I can hand the keys back with the M Performance Exhaust on but I know it's expensive. I don't know much about exhausts but I am guessing my best bet is to do a catback in case it needs to be swaped back with the original exhaust when I hand the keys back?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help - I really appreciate it,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
The MPE is fabulous, but it's not going to give you much on lower RPMs. It really comes alive over 4000, especially under load (accelerating, not just revving). You get a bit of nice rumble at idle but I've heard others with more.

Don't figure on turning in your lease w it. Keep your OEM exhaust and put it back on for return, and sell your performance exhaust, whatever you get, and save much of your investment.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

I have the MPE and is really not that much louder on the low end. It does give out a different sound - "hollowed"/semi exotic but no deep rumble at the low end. But at WOT, holy smokes it's a different animal. Having said that I have gotten numerous compliments on the sound after cruising by in parking lots, etc , so while it may not be much louder, it definitely gives out a different tone that attracts some more attention.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

MPE or Akrapovic. As others have said simply keep the OEM exhaust and put it back on upon lease return. Modding a leased car is not much different than modding a car you own IMO. You are always better off selling mods separately (vs. leaving them on the car) because buyers give you little if any value for them. So you would be best off removing all mods when you decide to sell or return a leased car. All the leasing company cares about is receiving a car that is stock. You could probably return with MPE but why would you give them that value? That is unless you included it in the lease up-front (ie. it was financed via the lease).
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

Thanks for everyone's thought so far. Someone PMed me and suggested the Einsmann Sport for what I had in mind. Any feedback/thoughts on that exhaust in particular compared to the MPE?

I'm hoping to be able to hear both of these in-person before making a decision. One board member has offered for me to listen to his MPE in-person, which I will hopefully do soon. That should be a HUGE help...

If anyone is in the LA (and even better - West LA) area and has an Einsmann Sport I would love to listen to it, if possible. Please PM if this might be possible - thanks very much!

Thanks for everyone's help,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
MEGAN exhaust. 500 bucks, not to loud, not to quiet. Deep muscle car sound and very little drone. Totally wife approved. I get compliments on mine a lot (both the wife and exhaust...lol).
Appreciate 0